Connect with us

Latest News

Why Shutdown Of Electricity Nationwide Will Continue – Workers

Published

on

Why Shutdown Of Electricity Nationwide Will Continue - Workers

As the nationwide shutdown of electricity continues, the striking workers of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, (TCN) have defended their action.

The strike by the workers under the aegis of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) was triggered by the directive of the TCN Board that all principal managers who are in acting capacity must undergo promotion interviews.

The impact of the strike began unfolding at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday when the grid dropped from 4,149 Megawatts recorded at 6:00 a.m. to 2,600MW. The grid capacity continued to drop as more workers at transmission stations downed tools.

It fell further to 939.4MW at 3:00 p.m. and finally recorded zero generation at 4:00 p.m.

The protesting workers blocked the entrance to the Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, headquarters building in Abuja.

READ ALSO: Nationwide Blackout Begins As Grid Collapses

The building houses the Federal Ministry of Power where the Minister of Power and the Minister of State, Power have their offices. Their action locked out staff of the ministry as well as both ministers and their aides.

NUEE General Secretary, Joe Ajaero had in the letter calling out the workers for strike said the directive for the promotion interview was in contravention of the workers’ condition of service and career progression path.

He said it was unilaterally done without the relevant stakeholders.

NUEE also decried the “stigmatization of staff from the office of the Head Service of the Federation from working in other areas in the power sector.

“Refusal of the Market Operator to fund the payment of entitlement of ex-PHCN staff as agreed in December 2019 agreement after an industrial action by the union”.

The strike went on as planned despite the intervention of the Minister of State Power, Goddy Jedy-Agba who had appealed for a two weeks grace to allow the government address the issues raised by the workers.

It also followed the reversal of the TCN Board on the promotion interview directive.

The FCT Branch Chairman of NUEE, Godfrey Abah said the action would continue until their demands were met by the government and the TCN management.

Abah noted that though the workers were not happy that the nation had been left without electricity supply, he said the embarrassment was to the Federal Government.

“As citizens and as a labour union we want supply to be everywhere but you know that the only weapon we have is to withdraw our service and that is what we have done. We have withdrawn our service to enable the government to attend to our needs and do what is right.

“The ball is in the court of the government and they know what to do. We have just received an invitation for tomorrow (Thursday) and before the close of business today we will know if the meeting will be held. We are ready for the negotiation”.

Also, the Zonal Organising Secretary of NUEE (Liaison), Engr. Ayodele Kolade said that workers would remain on strike until the issues were resolved.

READ ALSO: World Bank Asked To Release Details Of Spending On Nigeria’s Electricity

“The government is aware of our decision to embark on this strike action. As you can see no one is working and everybody has gone home. There is no light anywhere in Abuja and Nigeria as a whole and it will continue until our demands are met. Failure to do this Abuja and Nigeria will be in blackout”, he stated

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court’s Judgement

Published

on

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court's Judgement

University teachers in the country on Friday asked the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja to set aside the judgement of the National Industrial Court (NIC) that ordered them to call off their over seven-month-old strike.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in a 14-ground of appeal it lodged through its team of lawyers led by a frontline human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, equally applied for a stay of execution of the judgement.

The NIC had in a judgement that was delivered last Wednesday by Justice Polycarp Hamman, ordered the striking university lecturers to return to the classroom, pending the determination of a suit the Federal Government filed to query the legality of their strike.

READ ALSO: ASUU Strike: How Are Lecturers Surviving?

The interim injunction directing ASUU members to resume work, followed an application FG filed through its lawyer, Mr. James Igwe.

Justine Hamman held that the order was both in national interest and for the sake of undergraduates in the country that have been at home since February 14.

He held that the strike was detrimental to public university students that could not afford to attend private tertiary institutions.

“The balance of convenience tilts in favour of the applicant.
I hold that this application is meritorious and this application is granted”, Justice Hamman ruled.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Published

on

BREAKING:Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Over three policemen have been kidnapped in broad daylight by some unknown gunmen in Ogun State.

It was learnt that the police officers were abducted on Thursday at Wasinmi, in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The cops were in the state from Zone 2, Onikan, Lagos State, for an investigation.

They were said to have been duly booked  at the police division in Wasinmi, before they left for their place of primary assignment.

It was learnt that the officers, led by Inspector Oladipo Olayemi, were captured on the road by their abductors, who accosted them at about 2:30 p.m.

READ ALSO: Three Policemen, Others Feared Killed As Gunmen Attack Ifeanyi Ubah’s Convoy

It was also learnt that the commercial driver, who conveyed the cops escaped by a whisker from the kidnappers.

It was further gathered that the Divisional Police Officer in Ewekoro had led his men in search for the missing policemen.

When contacted, the Ogun State Police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that “people were kidnapped, but only one policeman is involved.“

Oyeyemi told our correspondent that the police were on the trail of the kidnappers, assuring that the victims would be rescued.

“We are on the trail of the kidnappers. Do you think we are going to keep quiet? We will get them and rescue the victims unhurt,” adding that men of the anti-kidnapping unit were on the trail of the kidnappers.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me – Wike

Published

on

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me - Wike

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has disclosed how former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-army generals and the Chairman of the Peoples’Democratic Party ( PDP) Worked Against him.

Wike said that these people met on the night of the party’s presidential primary and special convention to prevent his emergence as the party’s presidential candidate.

Wike made the allegation on Friday while speaking during a live television interview in Port Harcourt, the State capital.

He said that the meetings were part of what led to the delay in the commencement of the convention on the day of the PDP presidential primary.

“A whole national chairman told some aspirants that if Wike won, he was going to resign. As Chairman of the convention, he allowed Aminu Tambuwal to speak a second time.

READ ALSO: PDP Crisis Deepens As Wike’s Camp Shuns Atiku Campaign, Insists On Ayu’s Removal

“And after everything, he (Ayu) went and hugged Tambuwal that he was the hero of the convention.

“Meetings upon meetings were going. Pressures were being mounted on people to step down.

“Even on the night of the convention meetings were going on. That is why we started our convention late.

“Some of the retired generals were involved. Some of the meetings were held in their houses. There is nothing they didn’t do for me to step down.

“Those who know me, know that I would have stopped the convention.

“But I said for peace to reign, let the convention go on. Now a candidate has emerged. And we need to win elections as a party. That is the ultimate, winning elections.

“But the right thing must be done. It was agreed and it has been the practice of the party that if the candidate comes from the North, the national chairman should come from the South.

“The candidate (Atiku) knows all these. He even said it to me when he came to my house in Abuja”, Wike recalled.

Wike and his camp have pulled out of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council over Ayu’s refusal to resign as PDP National Chairman.

The embattled governor earlier hinted that he would expose some rotten details in PDP.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: