Two Chibok Girls Recount Ordeals After Rescue By Military
Two Chibok girls have recounted their ordeals after being rescued from Boko Haram insurgents who kidnapped and kept them for almost eight years in Sambisa forest.
They were among abducted 276 schoolgirls from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, who were kidnapped by insurgents.
They were rescued by the Theatre Command Operation Hadin Kai.
It was learnt that they were rescued in Gazuwa enclave in Bama Local Government Area, Borno State, recently.
Mariam Dauda and Hauwa Joseph were rescued along with their babies while narrating their eight years of ordeal in the forest at a press conference that was held at the Command-and-Control Centre Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri on Tuesday.
They revealed that they had been married off to Boko Haram Commanders for years and both had babies for them,
The survivors further claimed that the Nigerian military had killed their husbands months ago.
While responding to questions from newsmen, Mary now Mariam said, “Yes I know him, I used to see the late Abubakar Shehau.”
She continued, “Yes, there are still other Chibok girls in the Sambisa Forest. They also have been married, at least more than 20 are still there.” She mentioned their names one after the other.
“I was 18 years old when they abducted us and I converted to Islam, I was Christian but they converted us to Islam and married us off.
“We thank God that we are finally out, we have suffered after our husbands were killed, life was hell for us. We sincerely thank the military for rescuing us.”
On her part, Hauwa claimed she has never seen the late Shekau in person.
“I have never seen him face to face but I used to watch him on a laptop giving instruction to the fighters.” Hauwa said.
They thanked the military for rescuing them after being held captive by Boko Haram for eight years.
READ ALSO: More Chibok Girls Escape From Boko Haram
Theatre Commander, Major General Christopher Musa, attributed the success due to the massive military operations in Sambisa Forest, Mandara Mountain, and the Lake Chad areas.
Musa noted that girls were rescued in Sambisa while assuring that they would not rest until the remaining abductees regained their freedom.
The General Officer Commanding GOC Seven Division Nigerian Army Major General Waidi Shaibu said the girls, rescued between June 12 and 14, had received necessary medical attention and would be handed over to the appropriate authorities shortly.
He said, Hauwa Joseph was rescued with her child on the 12th of June 2022 in Bama local government area, while Mary Dauda was rescued with her child on the 14th of June during troops’ fighting patrol in the Division Area of Responsibility.
General Shaibu said, all the girls and their children had undergone proper medical check-ups and treatment, before handing them over to the government that would subsequently reunite them with their parents.
Boko Haram kidnapped 276 female students aged 16 to 18 from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, in April 2014.
Read more authentic news on our social media platforms
BREAKING:Lagos Govt Arraigns Chrisland School, Principal, Others Over Death Of Pupil Whitney Adeniran
The Lagos State government has arraigned Chrisland School, Opebi, its principal, vice principal and two other employees over the death of one of the school’s pupils, 12-year-old Whitney Adeniran.
On Wednesday, the government of Lagos State had filed charges against Chrisland School and four others over the death of the 12-year-old pupil, Whitney Adeniran.
The school and its workers were accused of involuntary manslaughter and reckless and negligent acts.
The workers who were arraigned before Justice Oyindamola Ogala of the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja include Ademoye Adewale, Kuku Fatai, Mrs Belinda Amao, Nwatu Ugochi Victoria and Chrisland School Limited.
The school principal, Mrs Belinda Amao, broke down in tears while in the dock as the court and counsel tried to agree on a date for the commencement of the trial.
Whitney died during the school’s inter-house sports competition at Agege Stadium in Lagos on February 9.
Blessing Adeniran, her mother, had accused Chrisland of negligence over her daughter’s death.
The school’s management, however, dismissed insinuations that there was foul play in the death, saying she slumped in public.
Chrisland also argued that Whitney complained about “not-too-buoyant health” a few days before she died.
However, an autopsy conducted at the Lagos State University Hospital (LASUTH) confirmed that the deceased died from “asphyxia and electrocution”.
In the charges filed on behalf of the state government by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Babajide Martins, who disclosed that their negligence killed Whitney because they failed to ensure her safety.
The charge also disclosed that they all acted in a reckless and negligent manner that endangered human life.
The offences are contrary to Sections 224 & 251 of the Criminal Law, C17, Vol.3, Laws of Lagos State, 2015
If found guilty, the offences carry a penalty of life imprisonment and two-year jail terms respectively.
On Tuesday, the state government granted access to Chrisland High School, Opebi branch, to open for physical learning ahead of the school’s forthcoming examination after parents’ appeal.
The state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu had ordered that the school be shut down on March 3, 2023, following the investigation into Whitney’s death.
Sanwo-Olu through the state Ministry of Education said the closure of the school would pave the way for unhindered investigation and afford all stakeholders, including parents, students, staff and friends of the deceased, time to grieve.
The reopening followed an appeal by the Parents of all Chrisland School Units who visited the Ministry of Education on Monday to seek the government’s understanding for “the sake of 500 plus students some of whom also have terminal examinations.”
The management of the school had tendered an apology over Whitney’s death.
BREAKING: Abacha’s Ex-chief Of Staff Oladipo Diya Dies
Retired Lt.General Donaldson Oladipo Oyeyinka Diya, the former Chief of Staff in General Sani Abacha’s military government, is dead.
His death was confirmed by Prince Oyesinmilola Diya. He said the former military administrator of Ogun State passed on to glory in the early hours of 26th March 2023.
Born on the 3rd of April, 1944, Diya was military Governor of Ogun State after the Buhari-Idiagbon coup of December 31st, 1983.
Diya joined the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna and fought during the Nigerian Civil War.
He later attended the US Army School of Infantry, the Command and Staff College, Jaji (1980–1981) and the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru.
While serving in the military, Diya studied law at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he obtained an LLB degree, and then at the Nigerian Law School, where he was called to bar as Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
He held other top military posts like GOC, 82 Division and finally the Chief of General Staff (military Vice President) to Gen Sani Abacha
The statement read: “On behalf of the entire Diya family home and abroad; we announce the passing on to Glory of our dear Husband,Father, Grandfather,brother, Lt- General Donaldson Oladipo Oyeyinka Diya (Rtd) GCON, LLB, BL, PSC, FSS, mni.
“Our dear Daddy passed onto glory in the early hours of 26th March 2023. Please keep us in your prayers as we mourn his demise in this period. Further announcements will be made public in due course.
“Barrister Prince Oyesinmilola Diya, on behalf of the family.”
Breaking: Appeal Court Retains Adeleke As Osun Governor
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has vacated the tribunal judgement that nullified the election of Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State.
The appellate court, in a unanimous decision by a three-member panel of Justices, on Friday held that the appeal Adeleke lodged to challenge his sack by the Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, was meritorious.
Aside from setting aside the judgement of the tribunal, the court, in its lead judgement that was delivered by Justice Mohammed Lawal, awarded N500, 000 cost against the All Progressive Congress, APC, and its candidate, Gboyega Oyetola
NEW TIMES CULTURE
Professors On INEC’s Will (4)
The Public Academic In The Eyes Of Change: No Time To Cry
BREAKING: Davido Announces Marriage To Chioma
Why GOFAMINT General Overseer Demoted His Deputy
BREAKING: UK Suspends Work, Study, Family Visas For Nigerians Over Ukraine War
BREAKING: First Nigerian Female Vice Chancellor Alele-Williams Is Dead
Opinion4 days ago
Unending Passion For Reform: A Peep Into My Memoir And The Future Of Nigeria
Opinion4 days ago
The Unending Quest For Reform – Tunji Olaopa’s Intellectual Memoir: A Commentary
Opinion4 days ago
A Savage Outing In The Name Of Electioneering
Arts & Culture2 days ago
22nd Africa Conference 2023 Holds At University of Texas
Opinion4 days ago
Reflection on The Unending Quest for Reform, Tunji Olaopa’s Memoir