Connect with us

Latest News

Twitter permanently suspends My Pillow CEO for US election misinformation

Published

on

My Pillow

Twitter Inc has permanently suspended the account of My Pillow chief Mike Lindell for repeated violations of the company’s policy on election misinformation, the social media firm said late on Monday.

Lindell, a devout supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, financed post-election protest movements in a bid to overturn the election win of President Joe Biden.

Lindell used his personal Twitter account, which had nearly half a million followers before being suspended, and the company’s account to spread unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud in the presidential election.

Courts have rejected such baseless claims, even as Trump and his supporters continued to falsely allege there being voter fraud.

READ ALSO: Ohio Teacher Gets Prison for Sex with Students, Including in Car Before School

Lindell repeatedly violated the company’s civic integrity policy, due to which he was suspended, a Twitter spokesperson said in an emailed statement. Twitter had permanently suspended Trump from its platform earlier this month.

The founder and Chief Executive Officer of the My Pillow company, Lindell’s political commentary and advertisements are a regular fixture on conservative media.

A self-described former cocaine addict and alcoholic who says he found sobriety through Christianity, Lindell helped sponsor a two-week March for Trump bus tour that ended in Washington on Dec. 14 and spoke at five stops.

He told Reuters a fortnight ago that he did not help finance subsequent trips to promote the Jan. 6 rally that devolved into riots as supporters of Trump stormed through the U.S. Capitol.

But the Capitol riots that left five people dead, did not change his views on contesting the election.

“I’m never letting the fraud go,” Lindell told Reuters then.

My Pillow did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment on Twitter’s suspension of Lindell’s account.

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Ooni Opens Up On Meeting With Buhari Over Igboho

Published

on

Ooni Opens Up On Meeting With Buhari Over Igboho

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi Ojaja II, has disclosed what transpired during his meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari over Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho.

In an interview with BBC, the monarch said the agitator rejected advice offered him by monarchs sent to dialogue with him.

Ooni said that during the meeting, Buhari was informed of the reasons for Igboho’s agitation.

In his reaction, Buhari said Igboho needed to be “calm and patient”.

The president also asked monarchs in the South-West to advise Igboho against moves that were lawless.

The monarch, who said Igboho had a just cause to fight, said he should have been more diplomatic.

READ ALSO: Buhari Launches Digital Currency eNaira

He alleged that Igboho was misled by politicians, insisting that the activist deserved the support of monarchs in the region.

Ooni said he had forgiven Igboho and already working to get him freed from detention in Benin Republic.

He urged other Yoruba Nation agitators to consider dialogue.

He said: “I have always told the government to call the agitators for a dialogue. Sunday Igboho grew up in Ife. All that he has become today, started from Ife. He fought the Ife and Modakeke war and both lands belong to Ife. He is a son of the soil.

“He wanted to fight for his kinsmen. He stood up and fought for those killed in Oke Ogun. We thank God for preserving his life. He tried his best but he was overwhelmed by different pieces of advice from people.

“Many people advised him wrongly. He listened to them.

“I visited President Buhari on his case and we discussed it. I told him that Igboho is our son, he told me that he (Igboho) should stay calm and exercise patience. The president told me that monarchs should warn him to be calm.

“After I left Buhari’s place, I called on monarchs and elders of Yoruba land for a meeting to advise Igboho to exercise patience but Igboho did not listen. He started abusing everyone, including the monarchs I sent to him.

“He hurled so many bad words but he is still our son. God owns forgiveness. We’ve forgiven him. If he had listened, he wouldn’t have found himself in his current travail.

“We are trying our best to secure his release.

READ ALSO: Ooni Warns Against Communal Crisis Over Modakeke Killings

“It is better to fight together. We can only achieve our goal if we are united.

“No one can fight with the government alone. You’ve to be diplomatic.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Bandits Kill 17 In Mosque

Published

on

Bandits Kill 17 In Mosque

Seventeen people were killed as bandits invaded a mosque in Maza Kuka village in Mashegu local government area of Niger State.

Also, 18 people were said to have been abducted during the attack on Monday morning.

The gunmen invaded the community on motorcycles while the residents were performing their morning prayers, shooting sporadically into the air.

Sources said that the gunmen shot at some victims, leaving 17 dead.
Some of the residents said on phone they were still in shock over the attack, which they said took them by surprise.

The Maza Kuka and Kulhu communities in Mashegu local government council of Niger State are bordering Kianji Lake Forest where most of the bandits are said to be taking refuge.

READ ALSO: Nigeria Will Be In Ruins If Bandits Are Declared As Terrorists – Gumi

The Secretary to the Niger State Government, Ahmed Ibrahim Matane, confirmed the attack to reporters.

He said that 16 people were killed in the mosque while one other was killed at Kaboji village by the gunmen.

Matane said that the State Government had sent a team of military personnel to the forest to fish out bandits hiding there.

The Chairman of Mashegu local government council, Alhaji Alhassan Isa Maza-Kuka also confirmed the incident, describing it as very devastating to the people.

He said that the attack was uncalled for especially as the people were in the mosque for prayers.

Alhassan disclosed that one of the injured people was in a critical condition and had been referred to the Minna General Hospital for medical attention.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Federal University, Lokoja Honours Toyin Falola, Holds Conference

Published

on

Federal University, Lokoja Honours Toyin Falola, Holds Conference

The Department of History and International Studies, Federal University, Lokoja will hold a national conference in honour of renowned historian Prof. Toyin Falola.

The theme of the conference is “Insurgency, Armed Banditry, And Ethno-religious Conflicts In Central Nigeria.”

The event billed for 10:00 a.m. on November 10, 2021 at the University Auditorium, Adankolo Campus, is one of the ceremonies of the fifth convocation of the university.

Falola is a Professor of African History and Jacob and Frances Sanger Mossiker Chair in the Humanities at the University of Texas at Austin , U.S.A.

Prof. Falola’s research interest is African history and the geographic areas of interest include Africa, Latin America, and the United States. Falola’s thematic fields include Atlantic history, diaspora and migration, empire and globalization, intellectual history, international relations, religion and culture.

Beyond his academic pursuits, Falola who is author and editor of more than one hundred books, makes regular interventions in the simmering and overt socioeconomic and political crises of his country Nigeria and continent Africa.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: