Connect with us

Latest News

Tight Security At Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge Over Resumption Of Tolling

Published

on

Tight Security At Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge Over Resumption Of Tolling

The Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge on Friday morning witnessed heavy security presence as the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) over the resumption of tolling at the bridge.

No fewer than five police patrols were stationed at strategic locations of the bridge to prevent any breakdown of law and order.

Also officials of the LCC were at various corners of the tolling corridor as vehicles were seen passing the bridge.

It was learnt, however, that contrary to an earlier announcement, payment of tolling using the upgraded electronic tag introduced by the LCC would commence today.

There has been protest especially from residents and some activists against the resumption of tolling in the two Plazas- the Lekki-Ikoyi and the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

READ ALSO: Why We Can’t Accept Lagos EndSARS Panel’s Report – Govt

Tolling was suspended in the aftermath of the 2020 #EndSARS protest which climaxed in the destruction of tolling facilities in the two plazas and the spontaneous attacks on government facilities across the state.

The LCC, the organisation in charge of tolling at the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge and Lekki-Epe Expressway had earlier sensitised residents to the resumption of the tolling.

Officials of the LCC took over the toll plaza on April 1, 2022, but it was made free for all categories of vehicles while payment would resume on 15.

However, residents living on the Lekki corridors had on Tuesday called on the government to put its decision to reopen the plaza on hold.

They said the reopening should be suspended pending when all issues relating to the reopening were addressed.

The Commissioner for Transportation in the state, Dr. Frederic Oladehinde, defended the decision to reopen the tolling, saying it was in the interest of the state and the need to protect investors.

READ  ALSO: Lagos Releases White Paper On EndSARS, Says Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

He said: “I know a lot of Lagosians are unhappy that the Lagos State Government is taking steps to reopen the toll gate, but we need to know that we are doing this in the best interest of all parties, including investors, who have always requested we guarantee the safety of their investment.

“We should not forget that the business in question is somebody’s business and it has been in jeopardy since it was burnt and shut down 18 months ago.

“A number of investors approaching the government with the intention of partnership for the provision of critical infrastructure are looking at us and will want assurance that their investment is safe and secure. They will take their investment away if we cannot give them that guarantee and secure their business and investments,” Oladeinde said.

Ahead of the reopening, the LCC has advised motorists who have the old e-Tag which has now expired to contact its customer service for the upgrade.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

AfAW Condemns Killing Of Two Men Over Witchcraft In Benue

Published

on

AfAW Condemns Killing Of Two Men Over Witchcraft In Benue

The Advocacy for Alleged Witches has condemned the gruesome murder of Kwaghange Ugbu and Atuur Shaaja of Gwer East LGA of Benue. The murder of Ugbu and Shaaja happened less than two months after some youths attacked an alleged witch in Shangev Tiev, Konshisha LGA.

Quoting local sources, Dr Leo Igwe of AfAW said that on Wednesday, September 28, 2022, David Terseer Nongobo, 25, a native of Mbaaku Mbasombo Gwer East LGA of Benue, slumped while working on the farm. He was later confirmed dead at a local hospital. David had recently completed his secondary school education.

In reaction to his death, some members of the community, notably, Aper Iorfa, Ter Tarnongo, Bamo Oraduen, Terhemen Agber, etc stormed the house of David’s uncles, Kwaghange Ugbu and Atuur Shaaja. They accused them of killing David Terseer through witchcraft. They beat and cut him with cutlasses and axes. They tied a rope around their neck and dragged them until they died.

READ ALSO: Advocacy For Alleged Witches Petitions NHRC Over Witchcraft Markets Event

Eyewitnesses said that as they were being tortured, the accused could be heard shouting in the local language: ” We don’t know anything about the death of this boy”. And the mobs were shouting back: “We will torture both of you to death for killing Tersoo with your witchcraft”. Members of their families; their wives ( Mary Kwaghhange and Martha Kwaghange) and sons watched helplessly as the accused were beaten and tortured to death.

A family member told AfAW that relatives of the deceased tried to intervene to save them without success. The son of Kwaghhange Ugbu, Sunday, tried to intervene and was told that he would also be tortured like his father if he tried to do so. His younger brother tried to resist the mob but was beaten. The corpses of the deceased were left in the open, at the compound of Ugbu, till the next day. No one was permitted to touch them. On September 29, the bodies were taken and deposited at the mortuary.

AfAW urged the Commissioner of Police and the Benue state government to arrest and prosecute the suspects and ensure that justice is done.

“They should send a strong message that jungle justice will not be tolerated in Benue and that those who engage in trial by ordeal and extrajudicial killings of alleged witches will answer for their crimes.

“The National Human Rights Commission, the International Federation of Women Lawyers, and the social welfare department should liaise and support the families of victims”, AfAW said.

AfAW enjoined the people of Benue to desist from witchcraft accusations and witch persecutions.

READ ALSO: Ukpabio’s Rescuing Families From Witchcraft Markets

“They should realize that witchcraft is superstition. Witchcraft accusation is a crime under the law. The people of Benue should abandon superstitions and embrace science and critical thinking”, the group added.

Dr. Igwe directs Advocacy for Alleged Witches, which campaigns to end witch persecution in Africa.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Peter Obi’s Supporters Lock Down Lagos

Published

on

PHOTOS: Massive Turnout As Youths Embark On One Million Match For Peter Obi

From Lekki to Surulere and Festac, thousands of residents of Lagos on Saturday demonstrated their support for Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP).

Many of the supporters on Saturday morning were seen holding the posters of the LP candidate and his vice, Yusuf Baba-Ahmed, who had branded vests as they marched around and moved to the bridge leading.

The rally caused both human and vehicular traffic around the Stadium axis, from Alaka and Teslim Balogun Stadium and down to Ojuelegba.

READ ALSO: Exposed: The Real Peter Obi

A Third Force Movement appealed to the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development to approve the car park of the National Stadium Lagos, for the October 1 rally of supporters of Labour Party, LP, Presidential Candidate, Mr. Peter Obi.

Noting that the use of the stadium would avert unintended lockdown, The Third Force Movement, in a statement by Mr. Olawale Okunniyi, said without the approval the organisers cannot stop Nigerians from using other venues like Gani Fawehinmi Park or Lekki Toll Gate.

At Lekki Toll Gate, the Lagos State Police Command was able to enforce strict compliance with the no rally order.

A federal high court in Lagos had on Wednesday ordered the LP and its supporters not to converge on the Lekki tollgate

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: APC Disagrees With Lawan , To Appeal Against Judgment Declaring Machina Senatorial Candidate

Published

on

BREAKING: APC Disagrees With Lawan , To Appeal Against Judgment Declaring Machina Senatorial Candidate

Less than 24 hours after Senate President Ahmed Lawan declared that he would not appeal against the ruling of a Federal High Court in Damaturu, the state capital, on Wednesday on the Yobe North senatorial seat matter, his All Progressives Congress (APC) has decided otherwise..

The APC in the state is determined to go on appeal over the matter.

The lower court had in its verdict, not only affirmed Bashir Machina as the party’s candidate for next year’s election, but ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to recognise him as such, a position the nation’s number three man said he would not appeal against.

However, in another turn of events, Mohammed Gadaka, Chairman of the APC in the state, arguing that the party had taken it as a duty to protect the Senate President, indicated party’s intention to proceed to the appellate court.

READ  ALSO: I Won’t Appeal Against Judgment Declaring Machina Senatorial Candidate – Lawan

“We are aware of the Wednesday, September 28, 2022, ruling of the Federal High Court in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, with respect to the forthcoming Yobe north Senatorial District election. However, we respectfully reject the decision of the President of the Senate, His Excellency Senator Ahmad Lawan, accepting the judgment of the court which disqualified his candidature and participation in the election.

“In exercise of our legal rights, the Yobe State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has decided to appeal the Federal High Court ruling in the interest of Yobe State, Nigeria and good governance. We have a duty to protect and sustain Senator Ahmed Lawan’s twenty-three years exemplary sojourn as a lawmaker and his impeccable record of leadership and patriotism – and commitment to making Nigeria work.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media  platforms 

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: