Connect with us

World

Opposition Candidate Wins Zambian Presidential Election

Published

on

Opposition Candidate Wins Zambian Presidential Election

Zambia’s electoral commission has confirmed that last week’s presidential election was won by the opposition candidate Hakainde Hichilema.

Mr Hichilema defeated his main rival, the outgoing President Edgar Lungu, by more than a million votes.

It was Mr Hichilema’s sixth attempt at winning the presidency. His supporters have been celebrating on the streets of the capital, Lusaka.

Earlier, Mr Lungu alleged that the elections were not free and fair.

He said election officials from his Patriotic Front party had been chased from polling stations, leaving votes unprotected.

In response, Mr Hichilema’s United Party for National Development said the statement was the “desperate final act of an outgoing administration.”

In its final tally, the electoral commission said Mr Hichilema had won 2,810,777 votes to Mr Lungu’s 1,814,201 in Thursday’s election. There were seven million registered voters.

The landslide win means Mr Hichilema will not have to fight a run-off contest.

READ ALSO: Madagascar President Sacks All Ministers For Poor Performance

“I therefore declare the said Hichilema to be president of Zambia,” commission chairman Esau Chulu announced at the results centre in Lusaka.

Mr Lungu’s six-year rule was criticised for alleged human rights abuses, corruption, a failing economy and massive unemployment.

Correspondents say Mr Hichilema, 59, tapped into widespread dissatisfaction among voters.

He now faces the daunting challenge of turning around the country’s economic fortunes.

Celebrations which started on Sunday continued until sunrise as Zambia was painted red by supporters of Hakainde Hichilema.

There’s no doubt that that political winds of change were ushered in by young people who are often accused of being reluctant to vote. They turned up in high numbers and generally rejected President Edgar Lungu.

“We want jobs, young people want jobs,” chanted throngs of people as they filled the streets of the capital shortly after Mr Hichilema was declared the seventh president of this copper-rich nation.

There’s no doubt that Mr Hichilema will inherit the rot and will attempt to clean up corruption left by his predecessor.

That’s if President Lungu respects the will of the people and hands over power. He claimed the election wasn’t free and fair after he lost votes in many of his traditional strongholds.

READ ALSO: Assassination Attempt On Madagascar President Foiled

He said elections were characterised by violence, which is in direct contrast with regional and international observers, whose preliminary findings said the elections were relatively peaceful despite pockets of violence, political interference and an uneven playing field which favoured the governing Patriotic Front.

A concession speech hasn’t been made by the incumbent even after losing by close to one million votes. Mr Lungu is expected to approach the courts to challenge the result but the margin of his defeat might make it hard for judges to overturn the result.

Mr Hichilema was born into humble beginnings in the southern district of Monze.

He managed to get a scholarship to the University of Zambia, and later graduated with an MBA degree from the University of Birmingham in the UK. He went on to become one of Zambia’s richest men, with business interests in finance, ranching, property, healthcare and tourism.

Hichilema said the 2016 election was stolen from him.

Mr Hichilema has described himself as an ordinary “cattle boy” and has contested and lost every election held in Zambia since 2006. However, each time he has increased his share of the vote.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

World

Biden Endorses Kamala Harris As Presidential Nominee

Published

on

By John Michael Ojo

President Joe Biden has named Vice President, Kamala Harris as his preferred presidential candidate for his Party

Biden stated this on Sunday shortly after he announced his withdrawal from the presidential race in a now viral post on his official X handle.

Biden who had earlier claimed that his withdrawal from the November presidential election was in the best interest of his party, said; “My fellow Democrats, I have decided not to accept the nomination and to focus all my energies on my duties as President for the remainder of my term.

“My very first decision as the party nominee in 2020 was to pick Kamala Harris as my Vice President. And it’s been the best decision I’ve made.

“Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year.

“Democrats—it’s time to come together and beat Trump. Let’s do this,” he added.

Kamala Harris, 59, is the first female vice president and the highest-ranking female official in U.S. history, as well as the first African-American and first Asian-American vice president.

Continue Reading

World

BREAKING:US President Biden Withdraws From Re-election Bid

Published

on

United States President Joe Biden

United States President Joe Biden has announced that he will end his candidacy for re-election, saying “it is in the best interest of my party and the country”.

It comes four months before Americans go to the polls, upending the race for the White House.

It follows weeks of intense pressure from fellow Democrats after a faltering debate performance against Republican Donald Trump at the end of June.

In a letter posted to his social media account, he said it had been the greatest honour of his life to serve as president.

“And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling the duties as President for the remainder of my term”.

He said in his statement he would address the nation on the matter next week.

President Biden thanked his Vice President Kamala Harris, saying she was an “extraordinary partner”.

 

Continue Reading

World

Trump Breaks His Silence After Assassination Attempt

Published

on

By John Michael Ojo

Former US president and the presidential candidate of the Republican Party, in the forthcoming November 5 general elections, Donald Trump, has stated that the shooter at his Butler, Pennsylvania rally yesterday has been killed by the Secret Service.

Trump who revealed that the bullet went through his ears, stated this in a statement made available on Sunday morning.

While the 45th president of the United States, sustained a minor injury, the incident however, left one person dead and another seriously injured.

Trump who extended his condolences to the family of the victim, thanked Americans for their support and urged them to remain resolute towards the election.

He said: “I want to thank The United States Secret Service, and all of Law Enforcement, for their rapid response on the shooting that just took place in Butler, Pennsylvania.

“Most importantly, I want to extend my condolences to the family of the person at the Rally who was killed, and also to the family of another person that was badly injured.”

The former president went further to provide details of his injury stating, “I was shot with a bullet that pierced the upper part of my right ear. I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound, shots, and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin. Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening.”

His statement also revealed that the shooter is now dead, though he added, “Nothing is known at this time about the shooter.”

Meanwhile, Trump’s predecessor and successor, Barack Obama and Joe Biden respectively, have both condemned the assassination attempt on Trump, with both leaders maintaining that there was no reason for such violence.

Obama, while condemning the shooting, said “There is absolutely no place for political violence in our democracy.”

On his part, Biden who urged the people to remain united despite their political differences, said “There’s no place for this kind of violence in America. We must unite as one nation to condemn it,” he added.

Continue Reading

Top Stories