Connect with us

Latest News

International Criminals Behind Owo Massacre – Govt

Published

on

BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Nasarawa School Pupils

Three days after the Owo , Ondo massacre, the Federal Government said on Thursday that it had located the footprint of the perpetrators, the Islamic State, West African Province (ISWAP).

The Sunday attack of St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, in Ondo State claimed almost 50 lives.

The government also said that no arrest had been made on the kidnap of the Methodist Prelate, Samuel Kanu-Uche and two other priests.

This is as the Nigerian Police said it was deploying 17, 374 officers and men for the governorship election in Ekiti.

Briefing State House correspondents at the end of Security Council meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, flanked by the Inspector General of Police Alkali Baba Usman, said that the Owo Catholic Church attack was perpetrated by international criminals.

Ogbeni Aregbesola, who said that no arrest had been made, further said that the security agencies had been directed to go after the perpetrators of the act and bring them to justice, adding that the security was now zeroing in on them.

READ ALSO: Three Days After Massacre, Gunmen Kill Six In Ondo

He noted that the attack had no ethnic-religious connection as he affirmed that the group activity had nothing to do with real religion.

According to Aregbesola, the motive of the terror group is believed to be pitting Nigerians against one another and makes it appear as ethno-religious war.

The minister stated that the council was also concerned about killings in the name of blasphemy and had directed the security agencies to go after perpetrators of both incidents that occurred in Sokoto State and Abuja recently.

He added that enough security arrangement had been made for the Ekiti State gubernatorial election taking place on June 18, 2022.

READ ALSO: The Owo Massacre

On the kidnap of the Methodist Prelate, the minister said there had been a lead and that the security operatives were still looking for the suspects and how the ransom was paid.

He said there was no ethnic agenda in the attack, urging Nigerians to unite and defeat the terrorists.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

BREAKING:Chicago State University Unable To Grant One Request By Atiku As It Releases Tinubu’s Academic Records

Published

on

Senator Withdraws Support For Tinubu Over Choice Of Muslim Running Mate
President Bola Tinubu

The Chicago State University (CSU) was unable to meet one request by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Candidate Atiku Abubakar as it finally released to him the academic records of President Bola Tinubu.

Atiku requested the documents to back his allegation of forgery of CSU certificate against Tinubu. It would mean Tinubu was not qualified to run for the election, which he won, if the allegation is successfully proved against him.

The university, on Monday, presented to Atiku’s legal team, a cache of documents connected to Tinubu’s education at the institution and copies of certificates with redacted names issued to other persons about the same time the Nigerian president finished from the school in 1979.

It also contained Tinubu’s admission records, and a letter dated 27 June 2022 confirming that he attended the university from August 1977 and June 1979 majoring in accounting. The letter said Tinubu was awarded Bachelors of Science in Business Administration with Honours on 22 June 1979.

The District Court in Northern Illinois, had in its judgement delivered on Saturday, given the university up till 12 noon on Monday to deliver the documents to Atiku.

The judge, Nancy Maldonado, gave the other after dismissing Tinubu’s objection in the judgement.

Ms Maldonando dismissed Tinubu’s objection to the 20 September decision of a magistrate judge of the court, Jeffery Gilbert.

The judge fully affirmed Gilbert’s ruling, ordering the CSU to release Tinubu’s academic records as requested by Atiku. She insisted Atiku had the right to have access to the records.

Complying with the court order on Monday, the university produced four sets of documents copies which went viral online on Monday.

In a deposition detailing its compliance with the court order, the university confirmed it was able to grant three of Atiku’s four requests.

Responding to one of the requests it granted, the university said, “after diligent search”. it was able to locate and produce seven different certificates for Bachelor of Science degree it issued in 1979.

Atiku had apparently requested the documents to compare and contrast them with the one presented by Tinubu as his for the 2023 presidential election.

The university also handed to Atiku’s team, documents relating to Tinubu and certified by an official of CSU, Jamar C. Orr, a lawyer.

The university similarly produced, “after diligent search”, copies of three other diploma certificates issued to other students other than Tinubu in 1979.

This was in response to Atiku’s request for “true and correct copies of any diplomas issued by CSU (other than to Tinubu) that contain the same font, seal, signatures, and wording (other than the name of the recipient and the specific degree awarded)”. Atiku sought these documents to compare and contrast them with the one Tinubu claimed to have obtained on or about 22 June 1979.

But the university said it was unable to locate “a copy of the original diploma it prepared for Tinubu in 1979” as requested by Atiku.

This was the kernel of Atiku’s request which is at the heart of the issue he intends to use the documents for in his legal challenge of Tinubu’s victory at the 25 February presidential election.

The university said it “does not in the ordinary course keep copies of student diplomas, and after diligent search cannot locate a copy of the original diploma it prepared for Mr. Tinubu in 1979, hence has no documents responsive to this request.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

Group Commends Ogun Governorship Election Petition Tribunal’s Verdict

Published

on

Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun

A Civil Society Organization, Advocacy for Peace and Good Governance, has commended the Ogun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal for its verdict on  the March 18, governorship election in the State.

It would be recalled that the tribunal, on Saturday, unanimously validated the victory of Governor Dapo Abiodun, as it dismissed all the grounds canvassed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Ladi Adebutu in their petitions.

The group stated that the verdict was a victory for democracy and affirmation of the people’s choice.

The group, in a statement signed by it’s National Coordinator, Waheed Sulaimon, on Saturday in Abuja, described the judgement as explicit without any ambiguity, saying it was a true reflection of what happened across Ogun State on March 18, 2023.

The group noted that the tribunal delivered its verdict based on the facts and evidence presented before it, as well as the credibility of the electoral process.

It lauded the judiciary for its impartiality in the ongoing election petition-related cases across the country, adding that Nigerians have always reposed their confidence in that arm of government.

The group, therefore, urged all parties involved to accept the decision of the tribunal and join hands with Governor Dapo Abiodun, to work towards the development of the state.

It also called on all stakeholders in the Ogun State project to rally round the governor to make the Gateway State among the best in Nigeria in terms of economic prosperity, political stability and social cohesion.

The group also lauded Governor Abiodun for his commitment to good governance and efforts at ensuring the security of lives and property, as well as his unwavering political will to speedily develop the state.

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Tribunal Sacks Nasarawa Governor Sule, Declares PDP’s Ombugadu Winner

Published

on

Nasarawa State Governor Abudullahi Sule

The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal on Monday declared David Ombugadu of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) as the winner of the state’s last election.

This was after the tribunal nullified  the election of Governor Abdullahi Sule of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Delivering the judgment virtually, the Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Ezekiel Ajayi, declared Ombugadu as the lawfully elected governor of Nasarawa State.

Continue Reading

Top Stories