Connect with us

Latest News

I’ll Win APC Presidential Ticket, Says Bakare As He Submits Forms

Published

on

I'll Win APC Presidential Ticket, Says Bakare As He Submits Forms

A presidential aspirant in the All Progressives Congress ( APC), Tunde Bakare, on Wednesday expressed the confidence that he would clinch the party’s ticket for the 2023 election.

Bakare spoke in Abuja, shortly after submitting his presidential expression of interest and nomination forms.

Disclosing that he had so far complied with the rules of the game, the cleric said the onus was on the party to execute other activities on its timelines.

He said: “Anyone who participates in a race must run according to the rules. We have fulfilled our own side and it is now for the party to set the stage and to tell us what next. They will determine what next.

READ ALSO: Buhari Orders Emefiele, Akpabio, Amaechi, Sylva, Others To Resign

“What I know for now is that there will be screening and after screening for those who may have appeal, they will appeal.

“Thereafter, there will be primaries and by the grace of God, we have decided to run according to the rules and we expect to win by His special grace.

“My chances are as bright as those of any person. I am eminently qualified either by age or experience or everything that counts in this race. And I trust God that I will emerge the winner”.

The Serving Overseer of the Citadel Global Community Church also expressed commitment to the realisation of a new Nigeria in his life time, promising to be the bridge between the past, present and the future.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

BREAKING: Peter Obi Resigns From PDP

Published

on

BREAKING: Peter Obi Resigns From PDP

Former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi on Wednesday dumped the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Obi announced his resignation in a letter dated 20 May, addressed to the National Chairman of the party.

READ ALSO: Okupe Drops Presidential Bid For Peter Obi

In the letter seen by New Times, Obi gave reasons for his withdrawal from the presidential race.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Security Forces’ll Deal With Killings In South-East, Others – Buhari

Published

on

Security Forces'll Deal With Killings In South-East, Others - Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has assured Nigerians that perpetrators of killings in the South-East and other parts of the country would be dealt with by security forces.

“I strongly condemn the wild, barbarous and wanton killings of innocent people in the South-East, as well as in other parts of Nigeria, Buhari wrote on his official Twitter handle.

“The perpetrators of these deeply distressing attacks should expect the toughest possible response from the security forces.”

The president was reacting to the recent gruesome killing of a mother – Fatima – and her four children in Anambra State.

READ ALSO: Open Letter To President Muhammadu Buhari

Several quarters have accused the proscribed secessionist group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) as the mastermind of the gruesome killings.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kaduna chapter, has also condemned the killing urging that IPOB terrorism needs to be stopped.

“This unfortunate act is getting out of hand. IPOB members are murderers, cowards and subhumans who oppress the innocent and kill children. FG should treat them the same way as Boko Haram,” CAN said.

Unknown assailants have continued to wreak havoc around the South-East since the incarceration of IPOB’s leader Nnamdi Kanu. The separatist group has repeatedly distanced itself from attacks on state assets and government functionaries.

Attacks in Anambra have become vicious in recent days, with gruesome killings of politicians and arson on police and other statement establishments on the upswing.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

AfAW Lauds Church Of Scotland For Acknowledging Harm Linked To Witchcraft Accusations

Published

on

AfAW Lauds Church Of Scotland For l Harm Linked To Witchcraft Accusations

The Advocacy for Alleged Witches (AfAW) has lauded the Church of Scotland for taking steps to acknowledge inked to Scotland`s historic witchcraft laws centuries ago. At its 2022 General Assembly, the church accepted the motion brought by Rev Prof Susan Hardman that regrets the terrible harm caused to alleged witches in Scotland.

“AfAW received this news of the Church of Scotland`s acknowledgment with much excitement and hope for the future of its campaign to end witch-hunting in Africa”, a statement by Dr Leo Igwe, a leader of the group in Nigeria, said.

It continued : “This development marks a significant step in the efforts by Witches of Scotland to win justice, legal pardon, apology, and national monument for thousands of people mostly women who were convicted of witchcraft and executed between 1563 and 1736. AfAW is delighted by the progress that the campaign by Witches of Scotland has made. On March 8, 2022, the International Women`s Day, the Scottish first minister, Nicola Surgeon, offered a formal apology to people accused of witchcraft in the 16th and 18th centuries.

READ ALSO: AfAW Condemns Gouging Out Kano Child’s Eye, Offers To Help Victim

Incidentally, this campaign has elicited criticisms from some segments of the Scottish population who think that the initiative is unnecessary because these are wrongs committed centuries ago. Some people say that such a campaign is an anachronism to the current generation of Scottish people. But these critics are greatly mistaken. They have forgotten that injustice is injustice no matter how long in the past it was committed. And it is never too late to say: ‘I am sorry.’ It is never too late to acknowledge mistakes and wrongdoings. It is never too late to remedy past injustices, especially when these injustices are still meted out to people in some parts of the world.

“More importantly, this campaign has so much contemporary relevance and resonance. Tens of thousands of people, including women, children, and elderly persons, still suffer harm linked to witchcraft accusations and prosecution in many African countries. And churches with a direct and indirect link to the Church of Scotland often perpetuate these abuses. Churches in Africa are part of the problem of witch-hunting in the region. Churchmen and women are modern-day witch hunters, witchcraft accusers and witch persecutors. This acknowledgment by the Church of Scotland sends a clear and powerful message to its counterparts and affiliates in Africa. This regret provides the moral leadership that has been missing in this campaign. This development in Scotland will help persuade and mobilize African churches to become part of the efforts to end abuses linked to witchcraft beliefs in the region.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: