Connect with us

Latest News

IGP Goes To Court To Nullify Jail Sentence

Published

on

IGP , Three Police Officers Face Contempt Charges

The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has gone to a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to set aside the contempt proceeding and the order to imprison him.

In a motion filed on Thursday, Baba highlighted extensively grounds why the orders should be set aside.

He said he had received proper legal advice from the Commissioner of Police in charge of the force legal unit.

READ  ALSO: Court Sentences IGP To Prison

The force spokesman, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, in a statement on Friday morning, said the top cop explained that he had not been appointed into office as IGP when the case was instituted and the reinstatement order in question granted.

He also argued that the contempt proceedings were served via substituted means in November 2018 and January, 2019 respectively, on the then Inspector-General of Police, and not on him as the incumbent.

“The IGP in his disposition further noted that even before his assumption of Office, official steps had been taken by his predecessors toward complying with the reinstatement of Patrick C. Okoli, the plaintiff, as ordered by the Court”, the statement said.

“As noted by him, this was evidenced by an official letter addressed to the Police Service Commission on the approval of the then Inspector General of Police, as far back as 2015, and before the court order of November 29th, 2022, requesting the Commission to issue a reinstatement letter to the plaintiff and also effect his promotion in line with the order of the Court and in the exercise of their statutory authority in that regard.

“Hence, the grounds for the contempt proceedings ought not to have existed, ab initio. The IGP reassures Nigerians of his unalloyed commitment and steadfastness in defending the rule of law and respecting judicial authorities and hence, will not wittingly or unwittingly disobey any order validly granted by courts of competent jurisdiction.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Stop Panic Buying, Fuel Subsidy Removal Not Immediate – Tinubu

Published

on

Why I Stopped Using Social Media - Tinubu
President Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday assured Nigerians that the removal of subsidy would not be immediate and that they should stop panic buying of petroleum.

The president’s position was stated by the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Media Centre.

In a statement, the centre urged the public to relax panic-buying that has ensued as a result of his speech.

The statement explained the development is neither new nor an action of his new administration.

The Tweet reads: “The public is advised to note that President Bola Tinubu’s declaration that “subsidy is gone” is neither a new development nor an action of his new administration.

“He was merely communicating the status quo, considering that the previous administration’s budget for fuel subsidy was planned and approved to last for only the first half of the year.

“Effectively, this means that by the end of June, the Federal Government will be without funds to continue the subsidy regime, translating to its termination.

“The panic-buying that has ensued as a result of the communication is needless; it will not take immediate effect.

“Furthermore, President Tinubu was clear about his plans to re-channel the funds previously devoted to the payment of subsidies into better investments that will cushion the effects of the removal on the general public, especially the poor of the poor. This includes but is not limited to investments in public infrastructure, education, healthcare and jobs that will materially improve the lives of millions of Nigerians and increase their earning potential.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Court Okays Death Sentence For Hilton Hotel Owner Adedoyin For Murder Of OAU Student Adegoke

Published

on

Dr. Adedoyin

Dr Rahman Adedoyin, the owner of Hilton Hotel Ile-Ife, where Timothy Adegoke, an Obafemi Awolowo University postgraduate student was allegedly killed, will die by hanging.

This was the ruling of the Osun State Chief Judge, Justice Oyebola Ojo.

Earlier, the court found Adedoyin culpable of murder.

The Chief Judge in her judgement said the owner of the hotel and two of his workers, based on the circumstances of the case established by the prosecuting counsel, Femi Falana, SAN, are found culpable of conspiracy to commit murder, and unlawful killing of the deceased.

Adegoke had lodged in Hilton Hotels and Resorts at Ile-Ife upon his arrival from Abuja on November 5, 2021, to enable him to arrive early for his examination at the OAU Distance Learning Centre, Moro, Osun State, on November 6 and November 7, 2021.

He later went missing and was found dead buried in a grave following a police investigation of the hotel owner, Dr Rahman Adedoyin and its workers.

After Adegoke was declared missing, the police were invited and seven suspects were arrested after which an investigation commenced.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Tinubu Names Dele Alake As Spokesman

Published

on

Dele Alake

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has announced Mr Dele Alake as his Presidential Spokesman. He also appointed his SA on Digital Media and the State Chief of Protocol.

Ambassador Victor Kunle Adeleke is the State Chief of Protocol (SCOP) to the President while Olusegun Dada is SA Digital Media.

This were the first set of appointments by President Tinubu as the 16th Commander-In-Chief of the Army Forces in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dele Alake is a journalist and editor. He was a commissioner for information while Tinubu was a governor in Lagos State.

 

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: