Connect with us

World

How Use Of Private Email Cost UK Home Secretary Braverman Her Job

Published

on

How Use Of Private Email Cost UK Home Secretary Braverman Her Job

By John Michael Ojo
Barely 43 days after the United Kingdom’s Home Secretary, Suella Braverman, was appointed, she has resigned from her position.

Braverman resigned over a document she mistakenly sent from her personal email to another member of parliament.

This was disclosed in a letter Braverman wrote to the Prime Minister on Wednesday, stating that she regrets her action and wish her successor the best of luck.

It reads in part: “It is with the greatest regret that I am choosing to tender my resignation.

“Earlier today, I sent an official document from my personal email to a trusted parliamentary colleague as part of policy engagement, and with the aim of garnering support for government policy on migration. This constitutes a technical infringement of the rules.

“As you know, the document was a draft written ministerial statement about migration. Much of it has already been briefed to MPs. Nevertheless, it is right for me to go.
As soon as I realised this mistake, I rapidly reported this on official channels, and informed the cabinet secretary. As home secretary, I hold myself to the highest standards and my resignation is the right thing to do.

 READ ALSO: Liz Truss Wins, Becomes UK Prime Minister

“The business of government relies on people accepting responsibility for their mistakes. Pretending we haven’t made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone hasn’t seen that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign.

“It has been a great honour to serve at the home office. In even the brief time that I have been here, it has been very clear that there is much to do, in terms of delivering on the priorities of the British people.

“They deserve policing they can respect, an immigration policy they want and voted for in such unambiguous numbers at the last election, and laws which serve the public good, and not the interests of selfish protestors.

“To oversee Operation Bridges – the largest policing operation in a generation – was a great honour and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve. I wish my successor good luck,” she added.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

World

World’s Oldest Primary Pupil Dies

Published

on

World's Oldest Primary Pupil Dies

Priscilla Sitieni ,the world’s oldest primary school pupil is dead

Sitieni, reportedly died after developing a chest complication.

“Gogo has been in good health and attending her classes until three days to her demise when she developed chest pains, which forced her out of school,” he told the newspaper on Thursday.

READ ALSO: Man Catches Heavily Pregnant Wife In Bed With Alleged Pastor

“We are thankful for the 100 years of her life. She made all of us proud,” he added.

She was 94 when she persuaded the headmaster of the local school in her village in Kenya’s Rift Valley to admit her, according to UNESCO, which hailed her as “a role model for her community and beyond”.

In an interview with the UN agency last year, she said her aim was to motivate young mothers in Kenya to return to school after having children, instead of dropping out due to shame or fear of social stigma.

“I wanted to show an example not only to them but to other girls around the world who are not in school,” she said.

“Without education, there will be no difference between you and a chicken,” she said.

“Education is your future. Education remains in your head forever and you cannot lose it once you have it.”

Her efforts were documented in a French film titled “Gogo”, which led her to take a plane for the first time last year to visit France and meet first lady Brigitte Macron.

The film’s co-writer Patrick Pessis paid tribute to her on Thursday, tweeting: “Her message about girls’ education lives on.”
AFP

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

World

How Trump Endangered My Life, Family – Pence

Published

on

How Trump Endangered My Life, Family - Pence

About two years after leaving office, erstwhile United Stated Vice President, has revealed how his life and that of his family were endangered by “reckless” comments made by former President Donald Trump on January 6, 2021, during the invasion of the Capitol Building by Trump supporters.

Pence revealed to ABC’s David Muir in an interview that the ex-president’s words during the insurrection “endangered his life, his family and everyone at the Capitol building” that day.

During the infamous invasion, Pence was in the midst of leading a joint session of Congress when the angry mob broke into the building to prevent Congress from counting the 2020 Electoral College votes and affirming Joe Biden as president-elect.

READ ALSO: Trump Protests As FBI Search Divides Republicans, Democrats

In a speech to his supporters shortly before the attack, Trump had urged them to walk to the U.S. Capitol “peacefully” but also added: “If you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”

In the interview which held on Sunday but aired late night Monday, Pence said: “The president’s words that day at the rally endangered me and my family and everyone at the Capitol building.”

Trump had insisted that Pence had the authority to overturn the election results but in a statement Pence issued on January 6, the then Vice President said he could not change the outcome of the election.

“The presidency belongs to the American people, and the American people alone.

“And frankly, there is no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person can choose the president,” Pence said when asked if he did not antagonize Trump by not carrying out his orders.

Pence has, on different occasions, publicly criticized his former boss several times since the January 6 insurgence.

In February, while addressing The Federalist Society, a conservative and libertarian legal organization, Pence called January 6 a “dark day,” and again said that Trump was wrong in claiming he could overturn the election.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

World

Same-sex Marriage Now Legal Throughout Mexico

Published

on

Same-sex Marriage Now Legal Throughout Mexico

After the state of Tamaulipas became the last in the mostly Catholic Mexico to approve same-sex marriage, it has become legal throughout the country.

This was disclosed by the local Congress on Wednesday.

The northern border state’s decision ends a 12-year journey toward national marriage equality beginning when the capital Mexico City became the first to celebrate same-sex unions in 2010.

The move was followed by a Supreme Court declaration five years later stating a ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional that spurred changes at the state level.

“The Congress of Tamaulipas approved the reforms to article 132 of the Civil Code for the State, to recognize the right to same-sex marriage,” the institution said in a statement.

“There are no first or second-class people, all people should enjoy this right,” said local congresswoman Nancy Ruiz of the conservative National Action Party (PAN), who promoted the reform.

READ ALSO: Ghana Considers Law To Punish Gay Sex

Marriage equality was approved in seven other states this year — three of them in the last two weeks.

In five of Mexico’s 32 states where marriage equality was established through court orders or governors’ decrees, it is still pending “legislative harmonization,” said political scientist and LGBTQ activist Genaro Lozano.

“But it is already a reality throughout Mexico. Thanks to all the activists and legislators who have supported it over the years,” Lozano tweeted.
AFP

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: