Connect with us

Latest News

Govt, Twitter Begin Talks To End Ban

Published

on

Nigeria Partially Lifts Twitter Ban

The indefinite suspension the Federal Government imposed on the operations of Twitter may soon be lifted.

This is because the government and officials of the microblogging platform have begun talks toward resolving their dispute.

This development was disclosed by a source in the presidency.

The source, who pleaded not to be named because he was not authorised to speak, said the suspension would be lifted when all the issues had been resolved.

The source said: “I can confirm to you that the engagement between the Federal government and Twitter management has commenced.”

On when the suspension will be lifted, the source said: “That would be when all the issues of the dispute have been properly trashed out.”

The Federal Government on June 4 suspended Twitter indefinitely, drawing condemnation from Nigerians and the international community.

The Federal Government cited the persistent use of the platform for activities that were capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence as the reason for the decision.

READ ALSO: We Haven’t Banned Twitter In Nigeria – Govt Tells Court

Many described the ban as a violation of the right to free speech and access to information.

The suspension came soon after a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari was deleted.

A delegation led by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed was appointed to lead the discussion with Twitter.

The decision to ban Twitter in Africa’s most populous country has dealt a blow to its revenue ambitions, according to a report by africanews.com/.

It quoted a report by Netblocks Cost of Shutdown Tools, which uses the classic Free Digital App GDP impact technique.

The report says Nigeria has lost at least $243 million in 51 days since the Twitter shutdown.

Despite this, Twitter posted stronger-than-expected earnings for the second quarter thanks to growing advertising demand across all geographic regions and types of ad products.

The San Francisco-based company earned $65.6 million, or eight cents per share, in the April-June quarter. That’s up from a loss of $1.38 billion, or $1.75 per share, a year earlier.

Twitter recorded $1.19 billion in revenue in Q2 2021, against the $683.4 million Twitter reported for the corresponding period of Q2 2020.

READ ALSO: Twitter Ban Temporary – Presidency

The United Nations, foreign capitals from Washington to London and rights groups have all condemned the ban as a threat to the freedom of expression.

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) are challenging the ban in court.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

Published

on

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 20220 - Mohammed

A year after the EndSARS protest, Information Minister Lai Mohammed has insisted that there was no massacre of Nigerians at Lekki where the event held last year.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two At Lekki Tollgate As EndSARS Procession Holds

During a news conference in Abuja, Mohammed said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: