Connect with us

Uncategorized

Govt To Replace BVN With NIN

Published

on

Kidnapped Son Of Pantami Regains Freedom

The Federal Government disclosed today that arrangements are ongoing to replace the Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) with the National Identity Numbers (NIN).

The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy Dr Isa Pantami, who disclosed this to newsmen immediately after a tour of telecoms operators and NIN licensees in Abuja, said President Muhammadu Buhari has been briefed on the on-going NIN registrations.

Pantami said the President was happy with the conduct of the exercise so far, adding that he had also briefed the National Economic Sustainability Committee headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on the imperative of replacing BVN with NIN.

Pantami maintained that while BVN was only for accounts holders with various banks, the National Identity Numbers are for all Nigerians irrespective of their social status.

READ ALSO; Lagos Demolishes Banana Estate Structures Without Building Permits

To verify the smooth registration of Nigerians, the minister visited the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) registration Centre in Gwarinpa, the Zonal Headquarters of MTN, Glo Mobile and Airtel in Maitama as well as a Private operator, OMNL, Nigeria.

Followed by the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof Garba Danbatta; Director-General General of NITDA, Kashifu Inuwa and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Engr Aliyu Aziz, the Minister said he was impressed by the strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols at all the registration centres.

On the hiccups encountered by those with the BVN data trying to link it with NIN data, Pantami said:” The BVN records may not be 100 percent the same with NIN but what is most important is that the NIN is the primary identity of each and every citizen, including legal residents.

“BVN is a policy of a bank and has not been established by law, NIN is the only mandatory number and the primary identification of our citizens and every other identification is secondary.

“The NIMC Act 2007 provides that all our citizens must be enrolled and the law gives them 60 days to enroll from the time the law was enacted and a maximum of 180 days and all permanent residents in the country and legal residents that have to stay here for a minimum of 24 months must be enrolled.

“So, this is the primary identification of all and all other data bases are supposed to utilize this and not for NIN to utilize the BVN because it is the primary one.

“We discussed with the CBN governor today on how to ensure that all our citizens with BVN will immediately be provided with the NIN. We are working on that but facilitating the process lies on CBN to make it much easier for our people.”

Asked to clarify government position on the BVN replacement with NIN, Pantami said:” I made a presentation to National Economic Sustainability Committee and I drew the attention of CBN governor that we need to replace BVN with NIN because the BVN is a bank policy while NIN is a law.

“Because it has been established by law so the strength of the law wherever you go is not the same with a policy of one institution.

“Also, BVN is only applicable to those who have bank accounts but NIN is for every citizen and legal residents in the country. BVN is our secondary database while NIN and the database is the primary one in the country that each and every institution should make reference to NIMC.”

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Uncategorized

Buhari Set To Unveil New Naira Notes On Wednesday

Published

on

Buhari Set To Unveil New Naira Note On Wednesday

By John Michael Ojo
The Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele has announced that the nation’s redesigned currencies would be officially unveiled by President Muhammadu Buhari tomorrow Wednesday, November 23, 2022.

Emefiele said this during the Central Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee monthly meeting in Abuja on Tuesday.

READ ALSO: N52b Cash Deposited In Banks Over Naira Re-design Policy

The Central Bank Governor had announced in October that the bank with effect from December 15, 2022 would issue redesigned N200, N500, and N1,000 notes in order to retrieve  a vast percentage of money being held outside the formal banking sector.

Emefiele has now disclosed that the apex bank won’t wait till December anymore for the unveiling of the new notes but maintained that the deadline for returning the old Naira notes to commercial banks in exchange for newly designed ones would not be shifted.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Police Release Six, Detain Two, Reveal Next Action Over Davido’s Son’s Death

Published

on

Police Release Six, Detains Two, Reveals Next Action Over Davido's Son's Death

By John Michael Ojo
The Lagos State police command has confirmed the detention of two of the eight domestic staff  members  of singer Davido invited  for questioning over the demise of his three-year-old son, Ifeanyi.

This was contained in a statement made by the command’s spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, who stated that following  a serious interrogation, six of the domestic staff brought in for questioning, have been released while the chef and the nanny whose duty was to cater for the wellbeing of the little boy, have been detained.

However, there are strong indications that the police might conduct an autopsy to determine the actual cause of the deceased’s death.

READ ALSO: Police Confirm Arrest Of Davido’s Domestic Staff Over Son’s Death

A source, who confirmed the development, said it was the standard practice for the police to carry out an autopsy in such a case, adding, however, that the police would desist from the move if the deceased family members kick against such.

The source stated that “Though the family members are not saying anything yet because they are still in shock until anybody says stop, the standard procedure is to conduct an autopsy and we are going to follow that procedure just like in any case of death,” the source said.

Explaining why the cook and the nanny were still being held by the police, the source said, “It was the work of the nanny to take care of the child (Ifeanyi); the nanny was negligent or how could the boy have left the house without her knowledge?” he questioned.

Stating further he said  “The boy left the house, walked to the back where the swimming pool is situated and fell into  it. Nobody noticed until much later. At that point in time, he had drowned and was at the bottom of the swimming pool.

“So, they brought him out and rushed him to the Lagoon Hospital, where the doctors tried unsuccessfully to revive him. They left the hospital and rushed the boy to Evercare Hospital, where he was declared dead.

READ ALSO: Why Divido’s Son Ifeanyi Died – Ifa Priestess Reveals

“They have deposited his corpse in the mortuary for an autopsy to reveal the cause of death. All the domestic workers at home when the incident happened have been questioned by the police but only the nanny and cook were detained.”

Another source who is very familiar with the heartbreaking incident revealed that the nanny was with Ifeanyi when the chef came to join them. The nanny was said to have moved slightly away to receive a call. When she returned, she couldn’t find Ifeanyi and assumed he was with the chef but the chef said he had left Ifeanyi with her. They began to frantically look for Ifeanyi all over the house for close to 20 mins until a security guard spotted him in the pool.

No one could explain how the boy got in the pool. Davido and Chioma were said to have returned from their trip to the devastating news.

“Davido ran mad. He literally removed his clothes and wanted to run into the streets. He was held back. He and Chioma are inconsolable.” the source added.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Gunmen Kill Two Worshippers, Injure Others In Church Attack

Published

on

BREAKING: Gunmen Attack Checkpoint, Kill Three Policemen

Gunmen on Sunday attacked a Celestial Church located in Felele, Lokoja, Kogi State, killed two worshippers and injured three others.

It was learnt that the gunmen attacked the church located behind NNPC Mega station in Felele on Sunday evening.During the attack, the gunmen shot sporadically.

It was further learnt that two people died instantly, while several others scampered for safety.

The injured victims are currently receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Lokoja.

An eyewitness said, “when they entered, they started shooting at every one outside the church. I now went and hid inside a cassava farm. What I saw yesterday was like an action film in a movie. Kogi is no longer safe”

 READ ALSO: Gunmen Attack Police Station, Kill DCO, Injure DPO

The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, (PPRO) William Ovye Aya confirmed the incident.

According to him, hoodlums invaded the church and started shooting at worshippers.

“It was a distress call that the Divisional Police Officer of B Division Felele received that hoodlums invaded a Celestial Church behind NNPC mega station and they began shooting.

“Two people were confirmed dead in the hospital, while three are receiving treatment.

“The Commissioner of Police has deployed our operatives, and ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of investigation, to commence an investigation to unravel the cause of the attack with a view to arresting the perpetrators,” he said

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: