Connect with us

Politics

Fresh Crisis In APC As INEC Fails To Recognise Bello As Interim Chair

Published

on

Fresh Crisis In APC As INEC Fails To Recognise Bello As Interim Chair

The crisis in the All Progressives Congress (APC) is deepening as the purported ouster of the embattled Chairman of the APC Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State has not been recognised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

INEC has rejected a letter inviting it to an emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee of the governing party where Niger State Governor Abubakar Bello’s chairmanship, among other things, is to be ratified.

The electoral commission’s position is contained in a letter dated March 9, 2022, signed by the Secretary to INEC, Rose Anthony, titled, ‘Re: Invitation to the emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee.’

READ ALSO: APC Dumps Buni, Appoints Bello As Sole Administrator

The letter is addressed to the National Chairman, APC CECPC.

The commission informed the CECPC that the letter of invitation was not signed by the National Chairman and National Secretary of the CECPC, Buni and Dr John Akpanudoedehe, respectively.

It said this was contrary to the provision of Article 1.1.3 of the Commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Political Party Operations (2018).

Faulting the letter further, INEC reminded the signatories to the letter of the provision in Section 82(1) of the Electoral Act 2022, “which requires ‘at least 21 days’ notice of any convention, congress, conference, or meeting convened for the purpose of merger and electing members of its executive committees, other governing bodies or nominating candidates for any elective office.” It, therefore, urged the APC to note the issues raised and ensure immediate compliance.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Politics

BREAKING: Crisis Looms As 13 Political Parties May Withdraw From 2013 Elections

Published

on

Buhari To Borrow N1tr From CBN, Seeks N819.5b Supplementary Budget

A political crisis is brewing over the current cash crunch as 13 political parties have threatened to withdraw from the 2023 general elections.

They said that they would not participate in the elections scheduled for February 25 and March 11 if the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) extends the February 10, 2023 deadline for naira swap.

This threat was issued in a statement by National Chairman of the Action Alliance, Kenneth Udeze, on Monday, February 7, 2023.

READ ALSO:  Supreme Court Declares Senate President Lawan As APC Senatorial Candidate

The redesign of the N200, N500, and N1,000 banknotes was lauded by the coalition of political party chairmen, who also urged that the policy must remain in place.

Udeze at a press briefing, said, “We hereby announce that at least 13 out of the 18 political parties in Nigeria will not be interested in the 2023 general elections and indeed we shall withdraw our participation from the electoral process if this currency policies are suspended or cancelled or if the deadline is further shifted.”

The CBN had already stated that it would not extend the deadline for the use of old naira notes.

During a briefing on Friday at the apex bank’s office in Lagos, Godwin Emefiele, CBN governor, said the CBN, as well as deposit money banks (DMBs) were working to address the current challenges with the circulation of the new currency notes.

The CBN had issued a deadline of January 31 for the use of the old naira notes, but it was recently extended to February 10.

Emefiele said: “I want to say unfortunately again, this time, we will not be looking at the extension of the deadline because we are the central bank and the deposit money banks are doing everything to address the challenges.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

BREAKING: Supreme Court Declares Senate President Lawan As APC Senatorial Candidate

Published

on

Senate President Ahmed Lawan

The Supreme Court on Monday declared Senate President Ahmed Lawan as the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial candidate for Yobe North in the forthcoming 2023 general election.

In a majority judgment delivered on Monday, the apex court allowed the appeal filed by the APC against Bashir Machina’s candidature.

Continue Reading

Politics

Oyetola’s Victory Threatened As INEC Opens Up On Osun Guber Poll

Published

on

Oyetola Stops Prosecution Of Attackers Of APC Secretariat

The victory of  Adegboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the Osun State Election Petition Tribunal is being threatened with fresh revelations by a former Director of Voter Education and Publicity of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi..

READ ALSO:Tribunal Sacks Adeleke, Declares Oyetola Osun Governor

Thetribunal judgment sacked Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party as the winner of the 2022 governorship election in the state.

The tribunal had on Friday ruled and nullified the election of Adeleke and directed INEC to withdraw his certificate of return and issue a new one to Adegboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress.

READ ALSO:Oyetola Left Behind Over N40b Debts – Adeleke

But during an appearance on Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily on Monday, Osaze-Uzzi said the discrepancy in the 2022 Osun State governorship election, as it related to the BVAS, was owing to the fact that the APC obtained an incomplete report upon which the judgement was based.

“The second member [of the tribunal] – the Honourable Justice who dissented from his two colleagues – said, ‘I would rather use the primary source of this information, and the primary source of this data is actually the machine itself.

“lt is basically a computer. So, rather than go to the server where it transmitted data, I would use the printout from the machine itself,” he said.

He added: “The machines were tendered, so were the reports from the server, and there ought not to have been a discrepancy, but somewhere along the line, not all the data had been transmitted at the time the APC obtained the certified copy of the initial server report.”

“It was BVAS that exposed that as it were, and the fact that the BVAS report was relied on. But we have to be careful; which of the BVAS reports was relied on? Was it what was transmitted to the server – to the backend – or was it the BVAS itself?”, he further stated.e

He said there was a need to break the verdict of the tribunal, adding that the majority of the tribunal members – “the chairman and the second member” – relied on the initial report and the initial report of the backend, duly certified by INEC.

Osaze-Uzzi explained that the APC obtained a certified copy of the initial server report while the remaining data was transmitted by the BVAS hardware.

“It was downloaded from the server [after it was] transmitted. But a couple of days later – INEC used the word ‘synchronised’, I’m not too sure I like that word, but – you synchronise it and say, ‘Have all the results been transmitted – has all data been transmitted from the machine, BVAS itself, to the server?’

“The machine is a physical one and then it transmits to a physical one. It now went, checked and said, ‘There’s a problem here.’ The BVAS report now downloaded itself, [we] now brought it out and examined each BVAS machine and now found out that no, some data was not transmitted to the server,” the ex-INEC director said.

Osaze-Uzzi, however, encouraged stakeholders to be optimistic about the use of BVAS as it exposed the over-voting in the election as ruled by the tribunal, describing the judgement as a validation of the role BVAS has played in enhancing the electoral process.

Read more authentic news on our social media platform

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: