Connect with us

Latest News

Defence Agency Quizzes Ex-navy Commodore Over TV Interview On Terrorists

Published

on

Defence Agency Quizzes Ex-navy Commodore Over TV Interview On Terrorists

After hours of interrogation by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA ), Commodore Kunle Olawunmi (retd) was released on Tuesday.

The DIA summoned Olawunmi over statements credited to him that Boko Haram terrorists were being sponsored by governors, senators and some officials in the presidency.

He had earlier arrived at the DIA headquarters in company of his lawyers, Femi Falana, SAN, and Abubakar Marshal, at about 4:00 p.m.

It was learnt that the session between both parties lasted about three hours.

Contacted last night on the outcome of the meeting, Falana, said: “I confirm that it was a friendly chat between Commodore Kunle Olawunmi and his colleagues. The chat ended a few minutes ago.

READ ALSO: Defence Agency Declares Ex-navy Commodore Wanted Over Anti-Buhari Interview

“I was allowed to represent the retired military officer during the friendly chat in strict compliance with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.”

Olawunmi had in a recent interview with Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, also said the current government had failed to show the political will to go after the sponsors of Boko Haram.

The retired Commodore, a professor of Global Security Studies, who said he was a member of the Intelligence Brief at Defence Headquarters during the leadership of the then Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin (retd), had said in the interview: “I told General Olonisakin then that the centre of this problem cannot be solved the same way we solved the problem of Niger Delta.

‘’The Niger Delta problem was solved during (Ex-President Umaru) Yar’Adua basically by me and I told them that we can’t use that same template for Boko Haram.

“I told General Olonisakin to look at the centre of gravity of the problem. I was made a member of the committee in 2016-2017 including (Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim) Attahiru that died.

“I told them that the centre of gravity of Boko Haram in Nigeria is the sponsors of the programme. It was beyond us because the job we needed to do was kinetic but we cannot resolve issues of sponsors of Boko Haram that were in Buhari’s government that we know them.

‘’That was why we couldn’t pursue that aspect that could have resolved the issue because we need to arrest people.

“Recently, 400 people were gathered as sponsors of Boko Haram, why is it that the Buhari government has refused to try them? Why can’t this government bring them to trial if not that they are partisan and part of the charade that is going on?

“You remember this Boko Haram issue started in 2012 and I was in the military intelligence at that time. We arrested those people. My organisation actually conducted interrogation and they (suspects) mentioned names.

READ ALSO: Sponsors Of Boko Haram Terrorists In Buhari’s Govt – Ex-navy Commodore

“I can’t come on air and start mentioning names of people that are presently in government that I know that the boys that we arrested mentioned. Some of them are governors now, some of them are in the Senate, some of them are in Aso Rock.

“Why should a government decide to cause this kind of embarrassment and insecurity to the sense of what happened yesterday (Tuesday at the NDA)?” he queried, adding that terrorist financiers want to turn Nigeria to Taliban type of country.

Following media reports last weekend alleging that the retired intelligence officer had been declared wanted over his comments, Defence Headquarters reiterated that Commodore Kunle Olawunmi was never declared wanted.

DHQ in a statement had said Olawunmi was only invited to shed light on information he provided on Channel Television on tackling terrorism.

The Director of Defence Information (DDI), Major General Benjamin Sawyer, had insisted in a statement that the informal invitation was harmless.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Okorocha Declares Bid For Presidency In 2023

Published

on

Okorocha Declares Ambiton For President In 2023

The former governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha, has declared his intention to contest in the 2023 presidential election.

This was disclosed in a letter read at the plenary on Wednesday by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan.

READ ALSO: Uzodinma Names Okorocha, Son-in-law As Sponsors Of Banditry, Kidnapping In Imo

Okorocha in the letter, stated that he will address a world press conference on Monday, January 31, 2022 to speak more on his ambition.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

PDP Primaries: Over 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

Published

on

PDP Primaries: More Than 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

More than 150 political thugs with different harmful objects including guns, cutlasses and charms planning to disrupt the PDP governorship primary election holding today have been arrested.

The political thugs who were said to have come from Oyo State were halted by the men of the 32 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Akure, Ondo State at Ita Awure/Efon Junction in Efon Alaaye in Ekiti State.

They were said to have been arrested at about 3:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

The thugs were in many vehicles before they were intercepted.

READ ALSO: Adebayo Sues For Peace In Ekiti APC Primary

It was gathered that the thugs were believed to be members of Oyo state Park Management System (PMS).

Sources said that the thugs were caught with various weapons.

Items recovered from the suspects included guns, machetes and charms.

It was also gathered that the soldiers would take the suspects to Owens Barracks in Akure for further investigation.

The Public Relations Officer of the Brigade, Akin Omojokun, when contacted, confirmed the arrest and said the brigade would soon issue a statement on the development.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Published

on

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Following the new position of the Federal Government on fuel subsidy removal, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its nationwide protests slated for Thursday 27 and February 2.

The congress took the decision at its National Executive Council meeting held virtually on Tuesday.

The NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, who broke the news at a press conference hinged the decision to suspend the protests on the reversal of the Federal Government’s plan to stop the subsidy on petrol.

He said members of the NLC who had been mobilised would be demobilised following the decision to suspend the protests.

READ ALSO: No Removal Of Fuel Subsidy Soon – Govt

The congress said on Monday that it would continue with the preparations for the protests.

Wabba stated that the National Executive Council of the NLC had given directives for the mobilisation of workers and citizens for the national protests if the Federal Government refused to reverse the planned hike in the pump price of petrol.

But justifying its decision, the NLC president said the congress dropped the planned protests “following the reversal and reapproach by government.”

He said, “At the peak of very rigorous mobilization of Nigerians by the Nigeria Labour Congress and a host of her civil society allies, the government through the Minister of Finance yesterday, January 24, 2022, made a public announcement reversing the plans to increase petrol pump price.

“The position of the government was also officially communicated to the Congress with calls for further engagement. Following the reversal and reapproach by the government, the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress met this morning virtually to consider the new position of the government.

“The NEC after vigorous debates took a decision to suspend the planned nationwide protest scheduled for January 27, 2022, and the national protest scheduled for February 2, 2022.”

The labour leader said the congress has communicated the decision to its civil society allies who have stood stoically behind Nigerian workers in their quest for social and economic justice.

The union argued that the attendant effect of the proposed removal of petrol subsidy would push the pump price of petrol to between N320 and N340 per litre.

READ ALSO: Buhari Approves Suspension Of Fuel Subsidy Removal

This, it noted, would have exacerbated the inflation in the country, deepened poverty, heightened social tensions and pushed the country and millions of poor citizens to the very precipice.

Going forward, the NLC said it would continue to engage with the government on the very critical issues of ensuring local refining of petroleum, creation of sustainable jobs and affordable price of petrol for Nigerian workers and people.

It commended the workers, people and the civil society allies for “their unwavering solidarity and support during this struggle.”

 

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: