Connect with us

Latest News

Death Toll In Lagos Building Collapse Hits Eight

Published

on

Death Toll In Lagos Building Collapse Hits Eight

Eight persons have died in the building which collapsed on Sunday on Ibadan Street in the Ebute Metta area of Lagos State.

A statement by the National Emergency Management Agency confirmed the development on Monday.

“Two male additional bodies recovered, making eight deaths,” the acting coordinator, NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, said.

It was observed that emergency responders put the recovered corpses in body bags.

The recovered corpses were deposited in some of the vehicles the emergency responders brought to the scene of the incident.

Thereafter, the corpses were taken to the mortuary.

The NEMA officials, alongside other emergency response agencies including the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service; the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, and the police, commenced a search and rescue operation immediately the three-storey building caved in late Sunday.

No fewer than 23 persons including children were said to have been rescued alive.

The occupants were said to be in their various apartments when the building suddenly collapsed and trapped some of them.

Farinloye, who had confirmed the death of five occupants, said the collapsed structure had been marked for demolition.

READ ALSO: Many Feared Dead As Three-storey Building Collapses In Lagos

He said, “Another three-storey building, on Lagos Street, about 200 metres away from the current scene has shown signs of distress with part throwing pebbles and falling off.

“The building had also been marked as distressed but the occupants were deviant.

However, the building has been re-sealed and occupants evacuated by officers of Lagos State Buildings Control Agency.

“Four deaths including two male and two female. 23 people have been rescued alive including seven children and 16 adults. Another young man, Tahin has just been recovered making five deaths.”

The Permanent Secretary, LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, in a statement late Sunday, had said some of the injured victims were rushed to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital for urgent treatment.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Supreme Court Grants Rivers’ Request To Join Electoral Act Suit

Published

on

Supreme Court Grants Rivers' Request To Join Electoral Act Suit

The Supreme Court on Monday approved the request of Rivers State to join as an interested party a suit by President Muhammadu Buhari against the National Assembly on the Electoral Act 2022 .

The court has subsequently fixed Thursday, May 26, 2022 for the hearing of the suit.

Rivers State is to be represented in the suit by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly and the Attorney General of the state.

READ ALSO: Lawan Defies Court, Continues With Electoral Act Amendment

Justice Muhammad Musa Datijjo, who led a panel of seven justices of the court, adjourned the matter till Thursday following the concession by Buhari’s lawyer, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), that the Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly and the Attorney General of the state be joined as parties in the suit.

Justice Dattijo then ordered the parties to file and exchange necessary processes latest next week Wednesday and return to the court on Thursday for hearing.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Accountant General Ahmed Idris Suspended Over N80b Fraud

Published

on

Accountant General Ahmed Idris Suspended Over N80b Fraud

The accountant general of the federation Ahmed Idris has been suspended indefinitely by Zainab Ahmed, the minister of finance, budget and national planning.

This is coming two days after his arrest by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged N80 billion fraud.

READ ALSO: EFCC Arrests Accountant-General Over Alleged N80bn Fraud

In a letter dated May 18, 2022, Ahmed said the suspension “without pay” was to allow for “proper and unhindered investigation” in line with public service rules.
He is not expected to come to office or contact any official in his office except for any disciplinary hearing that may be advised.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sanwo-Olu Orders Total Okada Ban In Six Local Councils, Nine LCDAs

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Orders Total Okada Ban In Six Local Councils, Nine LCDAs

Against the backdrop of growing menace constituted by commercial motorcycles, popularly known as Okada, the Lagos State government has imposed a fresh ban to curtail the unruly activities of the riders.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday, announced a total ban on Okada on all highways across six Local Government Areas (LGAs) and nine Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) of the State.

Effective from June 1, 2022, the governor directed security operatives to enforce the proscription order across the listed councils. The affected councils are Eti-Osa, Ikeja, Surulere, Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland, and Apapa.

The total ban order extends to all LCDAs under the listed councils.

The governor gave out the directive at a meeting with the Commissioner of Police, Area Commanders and Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) at the State House in Alausa.

The fresh Okada ban followed the February 2020 restriction placed on the activities of the commercial motorcycles.

Sanwo-Olu said the government took the decision in line with the State’s Transport Sector Reform Law of 2018 to immediately address the chaos and menace created by operations of Okada in the listed areas.

Sanwo-Olu told the police to enforce the order without compromise, sternly warning that the state government would not condone any security formation that relaxes the new ban in its jurisdiction.

He said: “After critical review of our restriction on Okada activities in the first six Local Government Areas where we restricted them on February 1, 2020, we have seen that the menace has not abated. We are now directing a total ban on Okada activities across the highways and bridges within these six Local Governments and their Local Council Development Areas, effective from June 1, 2022.

“This is a phased ban we are embarking on this period, and we expect that within the short while when this ban will be enforced, Okada riders in other places where their activities are yet to be banned can find something else to do. We have given the notice now and we expect all commercial motorcycles plying the routes in the listed councils and areas to vacate the highways before enforcement begins. The enforcement will be total.”

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu Appoints MC Oluomo Chairman Of Parks Management Committee

Sanwo-Olu advised residents patronising Okada riders on highways to embrace the alternative transport schemes already provided by the government to plan their journey. He said the government had provided Last Mile Buses, medium-capacity and high-capacity buses in the affected areas for the convenience of commuters.

The governor insisted that Okada riding on the highways remained unsafe and would no longer be tolerated. He said the state government had been ramping up construction work on its two rail line projects to further increase the choices of commuting for residents.

He said: “We have provided Last Mile buses in the affected areas; they are working and effective. We also have medium-capacity buses and high-capacity buses working in these areas. Before the end of the year, we are also bringing the rail along these corridors with their terminals. We have provided jetties as well to provide alternatives.

“We will not sit back and watch criminally-minded people use that mode of transportation (motorcycles) to perpetrate crimes and criminality in Lagos. Lives are being lost on a daily basis, preventable accidents are happening every day and the riders are not respecting any of our traffic laws. The situation has led to a complete breakdown of law and order. This ban has come to stay and we will not tolerate any weakness in enforcement.”

The Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alabi, directed his men to ensure a complete enforcement of the governor’s order in the listed councils and areas.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: