Connect with us

Latest News

Buhari Appoints Ex- IGP As Police Service Commission Chairman

Published

on

Buhari Appoints Ex- IGP As Police Service Commission Chairman

President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed former Inspector-General of Police Solomon Arase as the Chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC).

Buhari disclosed this in a letter to the Senate on Tuesday wherein he sought the lawmakers’ confirmation of the former IGP.

In the letter read out by the Senate President Ahmad Lawan, the president said the appointment and request for Senate confirmation were in accordance with Sections 153(1) and 154(1) of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Arase, who hails from Edo State, retired as the head of the Nigeria Police about a year after Buhari assumed office.

He was appointed by former president Goodluck Jonathan.

If confirmed, Arase will succeed Musiliu Smith, another former IGP who resigned under controversial circumstances last year.

Following the latter’s resignation, a retired judge, Clara Ogunbiyi, assumed the office in acting capacity.

READ ALSO: Police Commission Orders Police Officers Due For Retirement To Go

Before his appointment as IGP, Mr Arase was head of the topmost intelligence gathering unit of the Nigerian Police, the Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Bureau.

Born in 1956 in Edo State, he attended Ahmadu Bello University and graduated with a political science degree in 1980. He was recruited into the Nigerian Police a year after on 1 December, 1981.

Arase served in various capacities – as Commissioner of Police in Akwa Ibom State as well and in the intelligence gathering unit as Assistant Inspector General of Police He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Defence Academy and served in Namibia during the United Nations peacekeeping operation.

Meanwhile, in a separate letter, the president asked the Senate to confirm the reappointment of Mahmud Isa as Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for Kebbi State and the new appointment of Sani Ali for the same position for Ondo State.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

IGP, Three Police Officers Face Contempt Charges

Published

on

IGP , Three Police Officers Face Contempt Charges

For their continued disobedience and disregard to the lawful order of a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba and three of his officers are to face contempt charges.

A High Court of the FCT judiciary had on December 14, 2022, restrained the IGP and his officers from taking any action against a litigant, Abubakar Umar Shagari pending the resolution of issues brought before the court.

The order of the court is in respect of a suit marked FCT/HC/CV/3407/2022 instituted by Abubakar Umar Shagari against the Inspector General of Police and three others.

However, in flagrant disobedience and disregard to the order of the court, the respondents, especially, the staff of the DCP Ayuba Usman of the IGP Special Tactical Squad invaded the residence of the said Abubakar Umar Shagari in Sokoto on January 23, 2023.

During the unlawful invasion, the respondents ransacked the entire building and arrested the aged mother, two wives and two children of the plaintiff and had since hauled them into unlawful custody.

Counsel to the plaintiff, Blessing Anazodo who issued the threat to file contempt charges against the respondents asked them to conduct their statutory functions within the ambit of the law.

READ  ALSO: Court Sentences IGP To Prison

The lawyer pleaded with the IGP and his officers to obey the court order and release the aged mother, two wives and two children of the plaintiff forthwith or be ready to face contempt proceedings.

She also indicated enforcement of monetary damages against the respondents jointly and severally unless they respect the order of the Court in the matter.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: How Nigerians Keeping N2.7 Trillion At Home, Others Caused Naira Redesign – Emefiele

Published

on

BREAKING: How Nigerians Keeping N2.7 Trillion At Home, Others Caused Naira Redesign - Emefiele

The need to stop Nigerians from keeping N2.7 trillion at home instead of banks was among the reasons the federal government redesigned the naira notes.

The Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, disclosed this on Sunday.

He revealed that N2.7trillion was lying idle in people’s homes prior to 2015 when the Buhari administration came on board.

He said as at 2015 currency-in-circulation was only N1.4 trillion, while as at October 2022, currency in circulation had risen to N3.23 trillion, out of which only N500 billion was within the banking industry.

“N2.7 trillion was held permanently in people’s homes,” Emefiele stated after he paid a visit to President Muhammadu Buhari in Daura, Katsina state, where both parties approved a ten-day extension for old currency swap.

Giving further explanations, the apex bank governor said ordinarily, when CBN releases currency into circulation, it is meant to be used and after effluxion of time, it returns to the CBN thereby keeping the volume of currency in circulation under the firm control of the CBN.

READ  ALSO: CBN Extends Withdrawal Of Old Naira Notes Deadline

He said since the commencement of the currency redesign and other monetary programmes, “about N1.9 trillion has been collected, leaving us with about N900 billion (N500 billion + N1.9 trillion).”

With the approval of the president, the deadline for the currency swap has been moved from January 31, 2023 to February 10, 2023.

Buhari had on Sunday, urged the CBN to allow more time, discretion and order to enable Nigerians to successfully change their currencies to the redesigned notes, and reduce the risk of loss, especially among the underserved in rural areas.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

WPO Launches Book, Inaugurates Peace Programme For Political Candidates

Published

on

WPO Launches Book, Inaugurates Peace Programme For Political Candidates

Ahead of the 2023 general elections, Nigerian politicians have been charged to embrace peace and shun violence or acts that will endanger the lives of the masses.

This was part of the keynote messages delivered at the official inauguration of the Peace Development Program for all political candidates in Nigeria organized by the World Peace Organization, Nigeria Chapter in conjunction with the Albania Diplomatic Mission and suported by World Peace Programme .

The occasion was also used for the launch of a book titled “The Peaceful Man”.

READ  ALSO: World Peace Organization Meets National Peace Committee On 2023 Elections

The Director General of the World Peace Organization (WPO), Ambassador (Prof). Olumuyiwa Babalola stressed that the continuous Peace Development Programme covered matters related to mediation and conflicts prevention to always support the activities of subsequent general elections in Nigeria and also, to substantiate the just-concluded Peace Accord the candidates have signed with the National Peace Committee.

He further stressed the importance of the programme, noting that it was meant to empower the political candidates, chairmen of political parties and prepare them to strengthen mechanisms and capacities for inclusive dialogue, mediation and national peace before, during and after elections and to effectively adapt and respond to complex political situations and identify areas for preventive actions.

These are some of the objectives of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – UN Department of Political and Peace Building. It is the signature cross-pillar initiative that aims to embrace support for national stakeholders on conflicts prevention, sustaining peace and tranquility.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: