BREAKING:Confusion As INEC Rejects Irregular Votes In Abia, Enugu Governorship Election Results
There is confusion over the governorship election results of Enugu and Abia States as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has rejected some votes it considered irregular.
The Labour Party agents and governorship candidate in Enugu State opposed results collation of Nkanu East council, claiming that the votes were padded.
This was as political thugs reportedly disrupted collation of results in Obingwa council area of Abia State.
These have led to the suspension of the exercise by the electoral umpire on Sunday in the two states.
An INEC official said that the commission had rejected the allegedly padded results after a careful review of the exercise on Tuesday, and wanted the right things to be done.
“For Abia State, INEC ordered that the results should be announced based on the accredited voters,” the source said.
On Enugu’s case, the commission according to the source has similarly ordered the review of the results of the Enugu State Governorship Election of last Saturday.
The collation was suspended following controversy over the alleged padding of results from Nkanu East Council, which returned over 30,000 votes in favour of Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Mr Peter Mbah, while only about 7,000 voters were accredited in the area by the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS).
The suspension of the announcement of results of Abia and Enugu gubernatorial elections had heightened tension in the two states.
The supporters of PDP’s Mbah have been calling on INEC to announce the results that had been collated and declare their candidate the winner, saying those who opposed the result should go to court.
In Abia, Dr Alex Otti of the Labour Party had won a total of 10 out of the 16 Local Government Area results so far declared by INEC, while his counterpart in Enugu, Hon Chijioke Edeoga, has won nine local governments and is currently in the lead in the state.
Toyin Falola Honoured In Canada For Contribution To African Studies
The Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS) has awarded United States-based Nigerian professor of history Toyin Falola the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award for Contribution to African Studies .
In a letter announcing the award, CAAS told Prof. Falola that it recognized his exceptional contributions, unwavering dedication, and profound impact on the field of African Studies in Canada and beyond.
The CAAS Lifetime Achievement Award for Contribution to African Studies recognizes senior scholars who have been engaged actively as CAAS stalwarts and have retired or nearing retirement. The requirements are (1) a lifetime of sound scholarship; (2) accomplishments (research, teaching and mentoring awards, etc.) and (3) involvement in the activities of CAAS.
The letter said: “Your achievements as a renowned historian and an esteemed member of the academic community meet all these criteria at an extremely high level.Throughout your illustrious career, you have made significant contributions to the advancement of African Studies, leaving an indelible mark on the discipline. Your pioneering research, insightful publications, and dedication to mentoring a new generation of scholars have significantly enriched our understanding of Africa’s history, culture, and society. Your profound influence extends beyond research and publications. You have been actively engaged in the academic community, serving as a keynote speaker at CAAS conferences (as we can witness at this year’s conference) and co-organizing the successful CAAS conference at York University in 1991. Your tireless efforts in reviewing scholarly works for the Canadian Journal of African Studies and your longstanding role on the editorial board of the Harriet Tubman Series on the African Diaspora at York University further demonstrate your commitment to advancing the field.
“In addition to your invaluable contributions to CAAS, your impact on the Canadian academic landscape is remarkable. As an external examiner at esteemed Canadian universities, including the University of Toronto, York University, Dalhousie, Trent University, and Queens University, you have played an integral role in shaping the academic rigor and quality of African Studies programs across the country. Moreover, your mentoring of Africanist scholars based in Canada has nurtured and inspired a new generation of researchers and intellectuals. In that regard, you have supervised more than 100 Master’s and Doctoral dissertations in your areas of specialization. Your noteworthy achievements have garnered global recognition and acclaim. You have been the recipient of numerous prestigious awards, including the 2011 Distinguished Africanist Award from the African Studies Association (ASA) and an impressive tally of over 40-lifetime awards from various countries. With 16 honorary doctorates documented in your vita, you stand as a true luminary in the field. Recently, on Tuesday, October 11, 2022, at State House, Abuja, Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari conferred on you, one of the nation’s oldest and highest merit honors, the Member of the Order of the Niger (MON). This is proof of the degree of recognition that you have enjoyed in your homeland.
“On behalf of the Canadian Association of African Studies, I extend our deep congratulations to you on this well-deserved honor. Your exceptional contributions, unwavering commitment, and outstanding achievements serve as an inspiration to all Africanists and scholars in related fields in Canada and globally.”
The letter added: “Please note that the award will be formally announced at the CAAS Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, May 31, 2023, at 5:00 pm. The venue for the meeting is Founders College, FC 152, York University, and the event will be in a Hybrid format. More information will be provided to enable you to invite family and friends to witness the award ceremony segment of the AGM.” The letter was signed by Nduka Otiono, PhD.
ASUU Loses On ‘No Work, No Pay,’ Wins On IPPIS
It was not a complete defeat of university teachers as the National Industrial Court (NIC) ruled on the “no work, no pay” policy in the suit filed by the federal government under former President Muhammadu Buhari.
The suit was against the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) following the university teaching staff union’s eight months industrial action in 2022.
The Nigerian Government had filed a suit before the NIC against ASUU over the demand of the union for the payment of their salaries from February 14 to October 7, 2022, when the strike was called off.
While the union insisted on getting their payment for all the months they embarked on strike, the Nigerian government under former President Muhammadu Buhari refused, insisting on implementing its “no work, no pay” policy against the lecturers.
Ruling on a suit filed against the union by the government, the industrial court held that the no work no pay rule enforced by the Nigerian government against members of ASUU who went on strike in 2022 is legal.
The court in a judgment delivered by its President, Justice Benedict Kanyip, ruled that it is within the right of the Nigerian government to withhold salaries of workers who embark on an industrial action.
However, the court held that it is a violation of University Autonomy for the Nigerian Government to impose the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) platform on members of ASUU who reserve the right to determine how their salaries should be paid.
Stop Panic Buying, Fuel Subsidy Removal Not Immediate – Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday assured Nigerians that the removal of subsidy would not be immediate and that they should stop panic buying of petroleum.
The president’s position was stated by the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Media Centre.
In a statement, the centre urged the public to relax panic-buying that has ensued as a result of his speech.
The statement explained the development is neither new nor an action of his new administration.
The Tweet reads: “The public is advised to note that President Bola Tinubu’s declaration that “subsidy is gone” is neither a new development nor an action of his new administration.
“He was merely communicating the status quo, considering that the previous administration’s budget for fuel subsidy was planned and approved to last for only the first half of the year.
“Effectively, this means that by the end of June, the Federal Government will be without funds to continue the subsidy regime, translating to its termination.
“The panic-buying that has ensued as a result of the communication is needless; it will not take immediate effect.
“Furthermore, President Tinubu was clear about his plans to re-channel the funds previously devoted to the payment of subsidies into better investments that will cushion the effects of the removal on the general public, especially the poor of the poor. This includes but is not limited to investments in public infrastructure, education, healthcare and jobs that will materially improve the lives of millions of Nigerians and increase their earning potential.”
NEW TIMES CULTURE
Toyin Falola Honoured In Canada For Contribution To African Studies
BREAKING: After Subsidy Removal, NNPC Increases Petrol Price To Over N500
Buhari: Four Unforgivable Sins
Why GOFAMINT General Overseer Demoted His Deputy
BREAKING: UK Suspends Work, Study, Family Visas For Nigerians Over Ukraine War
BREAKING: First Nigerian Female Vice Chancellor Alele-Williams Is Dead
Opinion3 days ago
May 29 And Onward: Towards Nigeria’s Rebirth And Transformation
Opinion5 days ago
Fred Onyeoziri, Analytical Orientation And Political Science Scholarship In Nigeria
Opinion2 days ago
Buhari: The Illusion Of Hope
Latest News1 day ago
BREAKING: Court Okays Death Sentence For Hilton Hotel Owner Adedoyin For Murder Of OAU Student Adegoke
Opinion5 days ago