Connect with us

Sports

Bad News For Lionel Messi

Published

on

Messi To Miss Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers

Lionel Messi’s record-breaking week has seemingly ended on a sour and extremely costly note.

The 34-year-old picked up a seventh Ballon d’Or award in Paris on Monday, although he soon had bad news from his former home.

Messi’s four-star hotel in Barcelona has reportedly been slapped with a court order for its demolition.

El Confidencial claim that the Argentine’s 77-bedroom building does not meet city standards.

The ‘MiM Sitges’ is located close to where Messi used to live whilst he plied his trade at the Camp Nou.

Messi also owns hotels in Ibiza and and Majorca through the Majestic Hotel Group and spent £26m on the Barcelona-based residence in 2017.

But the report from Spain states that the superstar purchased the hotel without being aware that the Sitges Town Hall had already ordered its demolition as a result of non-compliance with building codes.

The hotel’s balconies are believed to be too big, but the building could even collapse if they are downsized or torn down.

Not only that, but the fire emergency plan reportedly also failed to meet the authorities’ standards.

Lionel Messi is understood to have just been made aware of the demolition order when the Spanish newspaper approached him for comment, which he and his representatives passed on.

The hotel has been praised for its approach to sustainability, with 80% of the material used for the building’s construction either reused or recyclable.

On top of that, it has large tanks that collect waste water from every shower which is then filtered to be used in the toilets and for watering plants.

Since signing, the PSG forward has struggled on the pitch for his lofty standards, scoring just one goal in Ligue 1, but Monday’s award ceremony was an unrivalled high point across his trophy-laden career.

Some fans now believe Messi’s new record makes him the greatest player of all-time.

Bad News For Lionel Messi

But the man himself seems less fussed about that label, as he told France Football, via AS : “I never said I’m the best in history nor do I try to push that perception myself.

READ ALSO: What Lionel Messi Said About PSG

“For me, being considered by others as one of the best in history is more than enough.

“It’s something I would never have imagined. It’s something that doesn’t interest me, it doesn’t change anything whether I’m considered the best or not.

“And I never wanted to be.”

Messi’s latest Ballon d’Or win was arguably his most controversial, narrowly beating out Bayern Munich ‘s Robert Lewandowski.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Sports

Eguavoen Reveals Why He Accepted Super Eagles’ Job

Published

on

Accepted

Former Super Eagles interim coach, Augustine Eguavoen has given reasons why he accepted the offer of leading the Eagles after Gernot Rohr was relieved of his job.

Rohr guided the Eagles to the 2018 world cup in Russia and was sacked after five years in charge of the Nigeria national team, weeks before the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations kicked off in Cameroon.

Eguavoen, who many have called on to fully take on as the Super Eagles Coach after his performance at the first round of the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon while speaking with BBC Sport Africa, said as the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) technical director, he had to step in before a permanent boss is hired.

READ ALSO: AFCON 2021: Tunisia Coach Reveals How His Players Tamed Eagles

“Our former coach was relieved of his duties and it was just weeks before the Africa Cup of Nations.

“As technical director, anywhere in the world that is what is obtainable. If there is a vacancy, it is the technical director that steps in before the coach has been appointed.

“So that’s why you see me taking this role as an interim man,” he said.

The NFF announced Jose Peseiro as the next head coach of the Eagles before AFCON 2021, while Eguavoen stepped aside after they were eliminated by Tunisia on Sunday.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2021: Tunisia Coach Reveals How His Players Tamed Eagles

Published

on

AFCON

Tunisia coach, Mondher Kebaier has opened up on how his boys stopped Nigeria from progressing to the quarter-finals in the ongoing 2021 African Cup of Nations in Cameroon, following their impressive performance against Super Eagles

Nigeria was tagged favourite to lift the trophy after their amazing performance in the group stage as they recorded 9 points after 3 games

Msakni netted the only goal of the game as the North Africans were a lone goal victor

During a post-match conference, the coach confirmed that they worked on the Nigeria wingers because they knew how dangerous they could be.

READ ALSO: Tunisian Coach, 12 Players To Miss Clash With Super Eagles

“Today we came up with tactics to put pressure on the Nigerian wingers because they are very dangerous. And we also know they have difficulties when they lose the ball,” he said.

Tunisia will now play against Burkina Faso in the quarter-final as Super Eagles return home.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2021: COVID-19-ravaged Tunisian Team Sends Super Eagles Home

Published

on

AFCON 2021: COVID-19 Ravaged Tunisian Team Sends Super Eagles Home

Nigerian Super Eagles are  out of the ongoing African Cup of Nations (AFCON) after suffering a shocking 1-0 defeat to COVID-19-ravaged Tunisian team on Sunday.

The Super Eagles had qualified as the only team with a maximum of nine points from the group stage, beating all teams in Group D. However, the Eagles couldn’t make it beyond the round of 16.

Both teams went into the first-half break without goals. Until Youssef Msakni delivers the single killer goal that sent the Super Eagles out of the competition few minutes into the second half.

READ ALSO: Charges Super Eagles To Win AFCON Title

Alex Iwobi was shown the red card at the 66th minute, depleting the Eagles as Tunisia cruised into the quarter-final of the tournament

This comes a few hours after President Muhammadu Buhari called the Super Eagles, charging them to defeat their opponent.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: