Connect with us

Latest News

Akpabio, Lawan Remain Disqualified From Senatorial Election – INEC

Published

on

The senatorial ambitions of former Minister of Niger Delta Godswill Akpabio and Senate President Ahmed Lawan in 2023 may have irrevocably failed.

This is because the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday denied altering electoral documents in favour of Lawan and Akpabio.

Names of the duo were missing from the list of successfully nominated candidates submitted to INEC by the 18 political parties in June.

Having lost out in their quest for the 2023 presidential ticket of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Messrs Lawan and Akpabio have been making efforts to claim the senatorial tickets of the party for the Yobe North and Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial Districts, respectively.

While Bashir Machina and Udom Ekpoudom had emerged as candidates in the primaries supervised by INEC officials in their respective senatorial zones, the names of Messrs Lawan and Akpabio, who did not participate in the elections were instead forwarded to the commission as candidates.

The acceptance of names was justified by the Akwa-Ibom INEC REC, Mike Igini, but the ultimate decision currently rests with the court.

“INEC has no powers to reject names sent by political parties. Primaries are the sole prerogatives of parties. INEC’s responsibility is merely to monitor the primaries and make sure they abide by their own regulations, the Electoral Act & the Constitution,” Mr Igini said in a report.

However, a media report on Tuesday said INEC had backdated Certified True Copies of reports of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries “to accommodate” Messrs Lawan and Akpabio..

Although Akpabio had won a rerun held in the zone, there is no report of a similar election held in Yobe where Machina in Yobe emerged the winner.

In a statement by its spokesperson, Festus Okoye, on Tuesday, INEC denied doctoring or certifying any document in favour of either of the two APC chieftains.

The commission said it had followed through its timetable and there was no point in its schedules where the names of the persons in question were published.

“The forms of the two personalities in question were not published by the commission. The decision of the commission triggered legal actions which are still ongoing. It therefore defies logic and common sense to go around and submit doctored documents purportedly recognising the duo as candidates when the matter is clearly sub-judice,” the statement said.

Okoye said the copy of the form uploaded on the online news platform as evidence, was not properly fact-checked and had thereby encouraged misinformation.

“As part of the ongoing case in court, a law firm requested the commission for a Certified True Copy (CTC) of the Form EC9 submitted by the All Progressives Congress (APC) as its candidate for Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District which we are duty bound to oblige them under the law. The Form was certified on 15th July 2022. If minimum care had been exercised by the promoters of the story, they would have seen the two stamps of the commission bearing different dates on the form. It is this form that is now misconstrued as INEC’ s endorsement.

“For the record, the commission has not recognised either of the two personalities as a senatorial candidate,” Okoye further explained.

He called for responsible reporting of the development just as he described the story by the online platform as an unwarranted attack on the electoral body.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court’s Judgement

Published

on

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court's Judgement

University teachers in the country on Friday asked the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja to set aside the judgement of the National Industrial Court (NIC) that ordered them to call off their over seven-month-old strike.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in a 14-ground of appeal it lodged through its team of lawyers led by a frontline human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, equally applied for a stay of execution of the judgement.

The NIC had in a judgement that was delivered last Wednesday by Justice Polycarp Hamman, ordered the striking university lecturers to return to the classroom, pending the determination of a suit the Federal Government filed to query the legality of their strike.

READ ALSO: ASUU Strike: How Are Lecturers Surviving?

The interim injunction directing ASUU members to resume work, followed an application FG filed through its lawyer, Mr. James Igwe.

Justine Hamman held that the order was both in national interest and for the sake of undergraduates in the country that have been at home since February 14.

He held that the strike was detrimental to public university students that could not afford to attend private tertiary institutions.

“The balance of convenience tilts in favour of the applicant.
I hold that this application is meritorious and this application is granted”, Justice Hamman ruled.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Published

on

BREAKING:Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Over three policemen have been kidnapped in broad daylight by some unknown gunmen in Ogun State.

It was learnt that the police officers were abducted on Thursday at Wasinmi, in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The cops were in the state from Zone 2, Onikan, Lagos State, for an investigation.

They were said to have been duly booked  at the police division in Wasinmi, before they left for their place of primary assignment.

It was learnt that the officers, led by Inspector Oladipo Olayemi, were captured on the road by their abductors, who accosted them at about 2:30 p.m.

READ ALSO: Three Policemen, Others Feared Killed As Gunmen Attack Ifeanyi Ubah’s Convoy

It was also learnt that the commercial driver, who conveyed the cops escaped by a whisker from the kidnappers.

It was further gathered that the Divisional Police Officer in Ewekoro had led his men in search for the missing policemen.

When contacted, the Ogun State Police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that “people were kidnapped, but only one policeman is involved.“

Oyeyemi told our correspondent that the police were on the trail of the kidnappers, assuring that the victims would be rescued.

“We are on the trail of the kidnappers. Do you think we are going to keep quiet? We will get them and rescue the victims unhurt,” adding that men of the anti-kidnapping unit were on the trail of the kidnappers.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me – Wike

Published

on

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me - Wike

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has disclosed how former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-army generals and the Chairman of the Peoples’Democratic Party ( PDP) Worked Against him.

Wike said that these people met on the night of the party’s presidential primary and special convention to prevent his emergence as the party’s presidential candidate.

Wike made the allegation on Friday while speaking during a live television interview in Port Harcourt, the State capital.

He said that the meetings were part of what led to the delay in the commencement of the convention on the day of the PDP presidential primary.

“A whole national chairman told some aspirants that if Wike won, he was going to resign. As Chairman of the convention, he allowed Aminu Tambuwal to speak a second time.

READ ALSO: PDP Crisis Deepens As Wike’s Camp Shuns Atiku Campaign, Insists On Ayu’s Removal

“And after everything, he (Ayu) went and hugged Tambuwal that he was the hero of the convention.

“Meetings upon meetings were going. Pressures were being mounted on people to step down.

“Even on the night of the convention meetings were going on. That is why we started our convention late.

“Some of the retired generals were involved. Some of the meetings were held in their houses. There is nothing they didn’t do for me to step down.

“Those who know me, know that I would have stopped the convention.

“But I said for peace to reign, let the convention go on. Now a candidate has emerged. And we need to win elections as a party. That is the ultimate, winning elections.

“But the right thing must be done. It was agreed and it has been the practice of the party that if the candidate comes from the North, the national chairman should come from the South.

“The candidate (Atiku) knows all these. He even said it to me when he came to my house in Abuja”, Wike recalled.

Wike and his camp have pulled out of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council over Ayu’s refusal to resign as PDP National Chairman.

The embattled governor earlier hinted that he would expose some rotten details in PDP.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: