Connect with us

Latest News

Akeredolu Condemns Branding Of Attackers Of Owo Church As ISWAP Terrorists

Published

on

Akeredolu Condemns Branding Of Attackers Of Owo Church As ISWAP Terrorists

Ondo State Governor Rotimi Akeredolu on Friday described as hasty the Federal Government’s pronouncement of ISWAP as the terrorists responsible for the attack of worshippers at St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo state.

This is coming as the state police command, the governor, and the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye denied the alleged arrest of the killers.

The palace of the traditional ruler was besieged by youth from the ancient town demanding the perpetrators of the last Sunday attack on St.Francis Catholic church in the town.

The youths in their hundreds trooped to the palace following alleged reports that the suspected terrorists had been arrested by a combined team of the Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps, and other security forces and taken to the palace.

They demanded that the suspected terrorists should be handed to them and pleaded to the traditional ruler not to transfer them to Akure, the state capital

It took several hours for the monarch to convince the youth that the information was untrue.

Meanwhile, governor Akeredolu noted that he took the Federal government’s conclusion with a pinch of salt, adding that ISWAP is known to take responsibility for their attacks.

He said this during a zoom interaction with a Swiss Christian human rights Organisation, Christian Solidarity International (CSI).

”The statement is too hasty. I take their conclusion with a pinch of salt. ISWAP doesn’t hide its attackS. If they have done it, they would have owned up. We are yet to know and our security people are still on their trail.”

Akeredolu, who said the attack was a crime against humanity, noted that the Southwest region had been a peaceful haven before the horrific attack.

The governor said despite the attack on the psyche of the people, the people of the state were indomitable and ready to fight insecurity.

Government, according to him ” is determined to help the victims of the attack, particularly those who lost their loved ones and those on admission in the hospital.

READ ALSO: International Criminals Behind Owo Massacre – Govt

“We have a plan to help the victims of the attack. Including those who lost their lives and those who are in the hospitals. Deliberately, we have people who have offered the state government some assistance. Some people have donated to the Catholics.”

Akeredolu also reiterated his stand on state police, noting that the time for state police had come.

He noted that the existing security architecture in the country could not provide security for lives and property.

“A single police command cannot guarantee safety in this country. We must have state police now.Amotekun suffers a lot of limitations in getting all the equipment we need to fight these criminals.”

The governor commended the international community for their reaction to the killing in Owo, saying their response was unprecedented.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court’s Judgement

Published

on

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court's Judgement

University teachers in the country on Friday asked the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja to set aside the judgement of the National Industrial Court (NIC) that ordered them to call off their over seven-month-old strike.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in a 14-ground of appeal it lodged through its team of lawyers led by a frontline human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, equally applied for a stay of execution of the judgement.

The NIC had in a judgement that was delivered last Wednesday by Justice Polycarp Hamman, ordered the striking university lecturers to return to the classroom, pending the determination of a suit the Federal Government filed to query the legality of their strike.

READ ALSO: ASUU Strike: How Are Lecturers Surviving?

The interim injunction directing ASUU members to resume work, followed an application FG filed through its lawyer, Mr. James Igwe.

Justine Hamman held that the order was both in national interest and for the sake of undergraduates in the country that have been at home since February 14.

He held that the strike was detrimental to public university students that could not afford to attend private tertiary institutions.

“The balance of convenience tilts in favour of the applicant.
I hold that this application is meritorious and this application is granted”, Justice Hamman ruled.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Published

on

BREAKING:Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Over three policemen have been kidnapped in broad daylight by some unknown gunmen in Ogun State.

It was learnt that the police officers were abducted on Thursday at Wasinmi, in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The cops were in the state from Zone 2, Onikan, Lagos State, for an investigation.

They were said to have been duly booked  at the police division in Wasinmi, before they left for their place of primary assignment.

It was learnt that the officers, led by Inspector Oladipo Olayemi, were captured on the road by their abductors, who accosted them at about 2:30 p.m.

READ ALSO: Three Policemen, Others Feared Killed As Gunmen Attack Ifeanyi Ubah’s Convoy

It was also learnt that the commercial driver, who conveyed the cops escaped by a whisker from the kidnappers.

It was further gathered that the Divisional Police Officer in Ewekoro had led his men in search for the missing policemen.

When contacted, the Ogun State Police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that “people were kidnapped, but only one policeman is involved.“

Oyeyemi told our correspondent that the police were on the trail of the kidnappers, assuring that the victims would be rescued.

“We are on the trail of the kidnappers. Do you think we are going to keep quiet? We will get them and rescue the victims unhurt,” adding that men of the anti-kidnapping unit were on the trail of the kidnappers.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me – Wike

Published

on

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me - Wike

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has disclosed how former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-army generals and the Chairman of the Peoples’Democratic Party ( PDP) Worked Against him.

Wike said that these people met on the night of the party’s presidential primary and special convention to prevent his emergence as the party’s presidential candidate.

Wike made the allegation on Friday while speaking during a live television interview in Port Harcourt, the State capital.

He said that the meetings were part of what led to the delay in the commencement of the convention on the day of the PDP presidential primary.

“A whole national chairman told some aspirants that if Wike won, he was going to resign. As Chairman of the convention, he allowed Aminu Tambuwal to speak a second time.

READ ALSO: PDP Crisis Deepens As Wike’s Camp Shuns Atiku Campaign, Insists On Ayu’s Removal

“And after everything, he (Ayu) went and hugged Tambuwal that he was the hero of the convention.

“Meetings upon meetings were going. Pressures were being mounted on people to step down.

“Even on the night of the convention meetings were going on. That is why we started our convention late.

“Some of the retired generals were involved. Some of the meetings were held in their houses. There is nothing they didn’t do for me to step down.

“Those who know me, know that I would have stopped the convention.

“But I said for peace to reign, let the convention go on. Now a candidate has emerged. And we need to win elections as a party. That is the ultimate, winning elections.

“But the right thing must be done. It was agreed and it has been the practice of the party that if the candidate comes from the North, the national chairman should come from the South.

“The candidate (Atiku) knows all these. He even said it to me when he came to my house in Abuja”, Wike recalled.

Wike and his camp have pulled out of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council over Ayu’s refusal to resign as PDP National Chairman.

The embattled governor earlier hinted that he would expose some rotten details in PDP.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: