Connect with us

Latest News

Makinde Never Interfered With World Bank Project – Commissioner

Published

on

Makinde Emerges New Chairman Of PDP Governors' Forum

Governor Seyi Makinde has never interfered with the contract award process of the Ibadan Urban Flood Management Project (IUMFP), contrary to reports in a section of the media.

The Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinola Ojo, declared that said contrary to the said media report, the state government had been following due process in the award of the World Bank-sponsored IUMFP.

The commissioner, who also oversees the project, describes Governor Makinde as a man with eyes for details, who will always insist on due process and value for money in all instances.

“It is an obvious concoction, an unfounded lie, and a news story aimed at tarnishing the image of the amiable governor and raising undue dust about a state that is diligently delivering on the mandate of IUMFP,” Ojo said.

He also stated that the state government and the World Bank were not at loggerheads over the project, adding that due process was strictly being followed.

Ojo, who spoke to newsmen in Ibadan, said that it was unfortunate that some media houses misrepresented facts and figures in an attempt to drag the project into unnecessary controversy.

“Everything published especially by Sahara Reporters on the IUMFP project amounts to lies. The process is still ongoing, and I assure you that when the process is completed, the state will be vindicated,” he said.

He also debunked insinuations that the lowest bidder was not being considered for the contract, saying that being the lowest bidder is not a guarantee of value for money and capacity to deliver on terms.

“That someone is the lowest bidder doesn’t guarantee value for money. What we need is good quality work that will enhance the service delivery of IUMFP,” he said.
READ ALSO: Gbenga Daniel Defects To APC, Apologises To PDP
Some news channels including had last week alleged that some untoward activities were threatening to stall the implementation of the $200m World Bank-sponsored Ibadan Urban Flood Management project.

A non-governmental organisation, the Ibadan Ko’ya anti-corruption coalition, had also in a statement published by the same outfits raised the alarm that the state was at the verge of losing the $200million World Bank-sponsored project as a result of what it called underhand dealings.

But the Oyo State Commissioner for Finance said on Monday that the claims contained in the media reports were unfounded and amounted to raising undue alarm, adding that the state and the World Bank were on the same page in the implementation of the project.

“The IUFMP management had independently appointed qualified assessors to review the bids for the second pool of works, with the contractors being assessed and the state only approving the recommendations made by the assessment and thereafter sending them to the World Bank for No Objection.

“Contrary to the insinuations contained in the recent media reports about the World Bank-sponsored project under the IUMFP, there is no threat whatsoever, as the process is still ongoing.

“We are certain that when the process is completed, we will be vindicated,” Ojo said.

The Project Coordinator, IUFMP, Dayo Ayorinde said that the claims in the said report in its entirety were false and unfounded, adding that it negated the reality of the situation in the bidding process as well as process of engaging contractors for the Second Pool of works at the IUFMP.

He said: “To the best of our knowledge, there was NO QUERY to the State Government from the World Bank. The Bidding Process is on course; the two parties involved (the Oyo State Government and the World Bank) are positively engaging the Bid Evaluation Report (BER) through the PIU, and the process is within schedule.”

He added that “the slightest explanation that one could give to this unfortunate story is that it is the ploy of mischief makers, who probably because of certain misgivings, wanted to throw a spanner in the wheels of progress in Oyo State.”

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court’s Judgement

Published

on

ASUU Asks Court To Set Aside Industrial Court's Judgement

University teachers in the country on Friday asked the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja to set aside the judgement of the National Industrial Court (NIC) that ordered them to call off their over seven-month-old strike.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in a 14-ground of appeal it lodged through its team of lawyers led by a frontline human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, equally applied for a stay of execution of the judgement.

The NIC had in a judgement that was delivered last Wednesday by Justice Polycarp Hamman, ordered the striking university lecturers to return to the classroom, pending the determination of a suit the Federal Government filed to query the legality of their strike.

READ ALSO: ASUU Strike: How Are Lecturers Surviving?

The interim injunction directing ASUU members to resume work, followed an application FG filed through its lawyer, Mr. James Igwe.

Justine Hamman held that the order was both in national interest and for the sake of undergraduates in the country that have been at home since February 14.

He held that the strike was detrimental to public university students that could not afford to attend private tertiary institutions.

“The balance of convenience tilts in favour of the applicant.
I hold that this application is meritorious and this application is granted”, Justice Hamman ruled.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Published

on

BREAKING:Gunmen Kidnap Over Three Policemen

Over three policemen have been kidnapped in broad daylight by some unknown gunmen in Ogun State.

It was learnt that the police officers were abducted on Thursday at Wasinmi, in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The cops were in the state from Zone 2, Onikan, Lagos State, for an investigation.

They were said to have been duly booked  at the police division in Wasinmi, before they left for their place of primary assignment.

It was learnt that the officers, led by Inspector Oladipo Olayemi, were captured on the road by their abductors, who accosted them at about 2:30 p.m.

READ ALSO: Three Policemen, Others Feared Killed As Gunmen Attack Ifeanyi Ubah’s Convoy

It was also learnt that the commercial driver, who conveyed the cops escaped by a whisker from the kidnappers.

It was further gathered that the Divisional Police Officer in Ewekoro had led his men in search for the missing policemen.

When contacted, the Ogun State Police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that “people were kidnapped, but only one policeman is involved.“

Oyeyemi told our correspondent that the police were on the trail of the kidnappers, assuring that the victims would be rescued.

“We are on the trail of the kidnappers. Do you think we are going to keep quiet? We will get them and rescue the victims unhurt,” adding that men of the anti-kidnapping unit were on the trail of the kidnappers.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me – Wike

Published

on

BREAKING: How Atiku, Ayu, Ex-generals, Others Conspired Against Me - Wike

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has disclosed how former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-army generals and the Chairman of the Peoples’Democratic Party ( PDP) Worked Against him.

Wike said that these people met on the night of the party’s presidential primary and special convention to prevent his emergence as the party’s presidential candidate.

Wike made the allegation on Friday while speaking during a live television interview in Port Harcourt, the State capital.

He said that the meetings were part of what led to the delay in the commencement of the convention on the day of the PDP presidential primary.

“A whole national chairman told some aspirants that if Wike won, he was going to resign. As Chairman of the convention, he allowed Aminu Tambuwal to speak a second time.

READ ALSO: PDP Crisis Deepens As Wike’s Camp Shuns Atiku Campaign, Insists On Ayu’s Removal

“And after everything, he (Ayu) went and hugged Tambuwal that he was the hero of the convention.

“Meetings upon meetings were going. Pressures were being mounted on people to step down.

“Even on the night of the convention meetings were going on. That is why we started our convention late.

“Some of the retired generals were involved. Some of the meetings were held in their houses. There is nothing they didn’t do for me to step down.

“Those who know me, know that I would have stopped the convention.

“But I said for peace to reign, let the convention go on. Now a candidate has emerged. And we need to win elections as a party. That is the ultimate, winning elections.

“But the right thing must be done. It was agreed and it has been the practice of the party that if the candidate comes from the North, the national chairman should come from the South.

“The candidate (Atiku) knows all these. He even said it to me when he came to my house in Abuja”, Wike recalled.

Wike and his camp have pulled out of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council over Ayu’s refusal to resign as PDP National Chairman.

The embattled governor earlier hinted that he would expose some rotten details in PDP.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: