Lagos Demolishes Banana Estate Structures Without Building Permits
The Lagos State Government on Monday warned residents that it would no longer condone flagrant abuse of building laws and regulations of the state.
The State government said it had noticed that many residents were building without due recourse to state agencies for approval and therefore advised people to desist from violating building regulations.
Speaking to journalists on Monday after the Lagos State Enforcement Team demolished some structures without compliance to the state building laws and regulations at Banana Island, Ikoyi, the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako, said the enforcement became necessary because the state government felt there was the need to do something to halt the growing illegality.
The five places visited by the Lagos State Enforcement Team led by Salako had earlier been served stop -work notice by the Lagos State Building Control Agency. Despite the stop-work notice, construction was ongoing in two while the other had fenced the land.
At 102 Close, K Zone, a section of the lagoon has been reclaimed with just the provision of a narrow drainage for water to flow. As a result the concrete and perimetre fence erected facing the lagoon were pulled down while the building was sealed and the gate locked.
Also at 306 Close, three two-storey buildings under construction were pulled down for lack of approval to build as the development encroached on the state shoreline.
Apart from buildings and fences that were pulled down during the enforcement , two people caught doing illegal dredging within the area visited were also arrested.
Salako said the Lagos State government agencies would continue to monitor to ensure that building laws and regulations were complied with.
He said: “The governor was here yesterday (Sunday) with the strong instruction that land reclaimed beyond what was approved should be demolished. We would continue to monitor to ensure that building laws and regulations are complied with and it should even be voluntary compliance.
“The gradual takeover of the waterways is a problem. In our master plan, the regional highway ought to pass through a route but there is gradual encroachment on the way.
“In terms of climate change, gradual reduction in the capacity of the lagoon to flow freely and the consequence the state would be made to grapple with in the future. If there is a downpour today, residents in Parkview Estate, on the other side of the lagoon would be in a crisis because their community would be flooded. This is because people built beyond what was approved.”
Speaking on why the two-storey buildings were pulled down, Salako said before the enforcement was carried out, the developer had been served a stop-work notice three times but they refused to obey the directives.
READ ALSO; Makinde Denies Plan To Dump PDP
He said: “The buildings that were pulled down is a peculiar case because the owner and developer could not provide approval and clearance for the reclaimed land he got from the State Land Bureau and Ministry of Waterfront.
“They blew up their survey. This means more land metres were taken than what was given approval for. And the 30 metres setback the developer was to observe was not adhered to. Also, the property is under a high tension wire. In all, the development has disobeyed all building laws in the state.”
Also speaking to journalists during the enforcement , Lagos State Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure and Development, Arc. Kabiru Ahmed Abdullahi, said the state government could not continue to fold its hands and watch the degradation of its environment.
“Enough is enough. We cannot continue to fold our arms and watch the degradation of the environment and continued blockage of the water channels on the waterfronts.
“We will clean it up and we will bring all the perpetrators of this act to book in line with the provisions of the laws.
“Banana Island has its own original boundaries. And those original boundaries are recognised and approved. So any development or reclamation beyond those original boundaries would not be allowed,” he said.
Read more authentic news on our social media platforms
BREAKING: Tribunal Fixes Date To Begin Hearing Of Atiku’s, Obi’s Petitions On Presidential Election
The Presidential Election Petitions Court has fixed Monday May 8 for the hearing of the petitions challenging the declaration of Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the President-elect.
The Tinubu’s legal team disclosed that Monday’s hearing would be a pre-hearing session. The hearing is to clarify if there are any applications before the main hearing will start. The timetable will be set for the hearing of the substantive matters.
The court also stopped receiving replies from the petitioners on April 23.
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, had on March 1 declared Tinubu the President-Elect on the grounds that his party scored the majority of votes cast at the polls.
He had polled 8.8 million to defeat Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who scored 6.9 million, Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP) who amassed 6.1 million and 15 others.
Disputing the result, Atiku and Obi filed separate petitions seeking orders to annul the election or declare them the winners of the polls.
The PDP presidential candidate, who anchored his seven prayers on five grounds, asked the Presidential Election Tribunal to declare him the president-elect.
Alternatively, Atiku urged the court to cancel the election and order a fresh election due to alleged irregularities that marred the February 25 polls in thousands of polling units.
In their petition, Atiku and the PDP argued that as of March 1 when Tinubu was declared the winner of the election, the entire results and accreditation data from polling units had not been transmitted and uploaded by INEC.
Obi, who came third in the election, alleged that the election was characterised by various irregularities including the non-qualification of Tinubu and his running mate, Kashim Shettima to contest the election.
He also alleged that Tinubu failed to win the majority of the lawful votes cast in the election, and just as he could not secure one-quarter of the lawful votes cast in the FCT.
Lifestyle & Entertainment
Asia’s Richest Man Mukesh Ambani Wears An Unassuming $8,500 Rolex While Son Flaunts A Rare $9m Patek Philippe Watch
By Sayan Chakravarty
In a world full of bad-boy billionaires, India’s Mukesh Ambani is considered by many as a rare anomaly. With a net worth of $83.4 billion, he’s currently the richest person in Asia and ranked at number 9 on the world billionaire list. Yet, the 65-year-old camera-shy business tycoon almost never departs from the carefully crafted image of a man of simplicity, which is perfectly demonstrated by his unglamorous dressing sense. He’s often seen dressed in a simple white short-sleeve shirt and a pair of loose-fitting black trousers, a choice inspired by his father Dhirubhai Ambani who founded Reliance Industries in 1958. While Mukesh Ambani can easily afford the most expensive watches ever made, the billionaire chooses to stick to his understated look and wear nondescript, unremarkable watches, as seen in the picture below.
The undated picture was recently shared by a social media page called The Indian Horology, which claims that it’s a Rolex Cellini reference 6621/8S worn by Asia’s richest person. The quality of the image is pretty bad for us to individually recognize the timepiece. Presuming they have accurately recognized the timepiece, it’s an interesting choice. Rolex Cellini is a discontinued model that currently sells for around $8,500 on pre-owned watch platforms, making it one of the most affordable Rolex watches. But there’s something more shocking than its price. While its tiny case makes it perfect for someone looking for a modest watch, Rolex Cellini ref. 6621/8S is a ladies’ watch, which is what makes it a bizarre choice for Mukesh Ambani.
Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime Reference 6300G
The timepiece has a diminutive 18k gold case measuring 26mm in diameter. Underneath a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal is a champagne dial with Roman numerals and is powered by a battery-powered Quartz movement. The watch is worn on a brown leather strap with an ostrich pattern. The ordinary-looking Rolex is in complete contrast to the ultra-rare Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime Reference 6300G worth $9 million worn by Mukesh’s son, Anant Ambani, at an event recently. It is the most complex watch ever made by Patek Philippe with a movement that features a whopping 20 complications. But don’t be fooled by Mukesh Ambani’s choice of clothes and watches; the billionaire and his family enjoy an unmatched life of luxury. Here are some of the expensive things owned by the Ambani family.
He stays in the most expensive private home in the world and it has a snow room.
The Indian billionaire and his family live in a 27-story skyscraper in Mumbai which is believed to be built at the cost of $1 billion, making it the most expensive privately-owned house in the world. The engineering marvel is named Antilia after a mythical island believed to be in the Atlantic Ocean near Portugal and Spain. Out of 27 floors, the top six are reserved for the family and can be accessed via nine high-speed elevators. In addition to that, six floors are dedicated to car parking that can accommodate up to 168 cars. Additionally, the building has a helipad, a 50-seat movie theatre, three floors of Babylon-inspired hanging gardens, a yoga studio, a fitness center, a ballroom, a spa, a health center, a temple, and also a snow room. Antilia is designed to sustain an earthquake of magnitude 8 on the Richter scale.
His wife Nita Ambani with one of their private jets.
As one of the richest people on this planet, Mukesh Ambani obviously needs private jets to ferry him and his family to different parts of the world. The billionaire has a total of 3 private jets, which includes a fully decked-out Falcon 900EX. Powered by three Honeywell TFE 731-60 engines, the aircraft has a range of 4,500 nm and a top speed of 0.85 Mach (about 650mph). He also owns an Airbus A319 that can carry up to 18 passengers. The cabin is divided into VIP quarters and is equipped with top-shelf amenities. In addition to that, Mukesh Ambani’s fleet also includes a Boeing Business Jet that’s no less than a flying 7-star hotel.
A collection of some of the coolest and most expensive cars
The Ambani family is known for its love for cars and their mega garage is home to some of the most expensive cars in the world. In fact, Mukesh Ambani is believed to own the most expensive car in India which is a completely personalized Rolls-Royce Cullinan worth $2 million.
The security convoy has multiple white G-Wagens.
If you thought that was awe-inspiring, wait till you see the fleet of vehicles that carry the security personnel protecting the billionaire and his family. It includes no less than 6 Mercedes-AMG G63 SUVs that cost close to an equivalate of $500,000 apiece in India.
Note – As of writing this article according to Forbes, Mukesh Ambani’s networth is $85 billion.
.This article was initially published on Luxurylaunches.com.
BREAKING: I Won’t Resign, Election Free, Fair – INEC Chairman
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has rejected the call by the Labour Party (LP), Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the African Democratic Congress (ADC) for the INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, to resign.
The commission also said the allegation by Senator Dino Melaye that the INEC chairman allocated scores to political parties during the ongoing collation of 2023 presidential election results, was unfounded and irresponsible.
The three opposition parties had earlier on Tuesday passed a vote of no confidence in the INEC chairman and even called for his resignation.
But, reacting to the call in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja on Tuesday, the chief press secretary to the INEC chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, said contrary to the insinuations by the political parties, election results emanating from the States of the Federation were free, fair and credible.
He said, “There are laid down procedures for aggrieved parties or candidates to follow when they are dissatisfied about the outcome of an election
“Such procedures do not include calling on the INEC Chairman to resign or for the election to be cancelled.
“To be sure, aggrieved parties are free to approach the courts to ventilate their concerns and wait for the matter to be resolved. Making inciting comments capable of causing violence or unrest is unacceptable.”
He noted that the 2023 general election processes were at their final stages of completion.
“It is only fair for aggrieved parties to allow the conclusion of the process and approach the courts with their evidence to pursue their cases,” he added.
NEW TIMES CULTURE
Nigeria’s Forthcoming Presidential Drama
BREAKING: Tinubu, PDP’s G5 Members Meet In Aso Rock
Govt Declares June 12 Public Holiday To Mark Democracy Day
Why GOFAMINT General Overseer Demoted His Deputy
BREAKING: UK Suspends Work, Study, Family Visas For Nigerians Over Ukraine War
BREAKING: First Nigerian Female Vice Chancellor Alele-Williams Is Dead
Opinion5 days ago
Ama Ata Aidoo: A Gallant Intellectual
Latest News4 days ago
BREAKING: Kwara Govt Reduces Workdays To Three Over Fare Rise
Opinion1 day ago
African Marginal Identities And The Tyranny Of The Majority
Opinion1 day ago
Think Aloud: Beyond Literacy and Numeracy In Schools
Arts & Culture16 hours ago
Ghana University Holds Art Talk With Toyin Falola