Connect with us

Uncategorized

Christian Barber Arrested For Blasphemy In Kano

Published

on

Christian Barber Arrested For Blasphemy In Kano

By

Leo Igwe

A 23-year-old Christian barber, Elijah Ode, from Benue State in Central Nigeria has been arrested for blasphemy in Kano.

Smith Akoko posted some information about the arrest on Facebook. The post states:

YOUNG BENUE (CHRISTIAN) BARBER DETAINED IN KANO FOR ALLEGED BLASPHEMY

By Smith Akoko

Elijah Ode, a resident of Kano from Adum East, Obi LGA of Benue State, who combines barbing with studies and is domiciled in the Sabon Gari town of the state was reported to have been in the net of Islamic religious extremists, who believe he has committed blasphemy in the cause of his work as a barber.

Report says Elijah, who is well patronized by young people for possessing exceptional skills in trendy haircuts, attracted the wrath of the extremists last week Wednesday when two of his customers were tortured to stupor for designs claimed to be blasphemous to the Islamic religion.

Thereupon, Elijah was traced to his barbershop, where he was arrested for complicity and has been in police detention with the two customers since last week.

According to information obtained from his cousin, Mr. Sunday Ukenya, the young (Christian) barber did not design the hairstyles to provoke. He said he was only being innovative doing his work, as usual, to eke a living and pay his fees at his tertiary institution of study in Kano, where he sponsors himself. Ukenya also added that the case is already in the court of law at the wish of the aggrieved Muslims with the first session being yesterday.

He expressed sadness, however, that all efforts by the young barber’s lawyer to bail him proved abortive for the claim that it is a major case and as a result not bailable. At the moment the family has run out of hope, soliciting intercessory prayers as the reality of incarceration stares Elijah in the face. And indeed, jamesibechi.com can confirm that unless prayers are offered or reputable human rights activists from across the globe rise for the defenceless self-sponsored young barber, the reality may be undesirable but inevitable.

READ ALSO; Motivation And Time Management

I have spoken with Smith Akoko and Sunday Ukenye and they confirmed the story. Islamic police in Kano arrested and detained Ode last week in connection with a hairstyle which they deemed an insult to Islam. Ode’s barbing shop is located at Aba road by Igbo road at Sabon Gari in Kano. Mr. Ode’s case came up for hearing at a magistrate’s court at Jedi Jedi, along Court Road on Monday, February 1, 2020. But the magistrate refused Mr. Ode and other accused persons bail. The court adjourned the case to Thursday, February 4.

Nobody knows the prison where they are kept at the moment. It is not certain that the accused persons will be granted bail at the end of the hearing tomorrow. If some pressure is not brought to bear on the Kano state government, Elijah Ode and other accused persons would languish in jail. There has been a growing number of allegations of blasphemy in Kano.

The Islamic police, Hisbah are often behind these arrests and the Kano State government turns a blind eye to these abuses. Kano is an Islamic stronghold and Muslims in the state take advantage of their number and political power to oppress, harass and abuse minorities with impunity. When Sharia law was introduced in Kano in 1999, the Muslim establishment stated that the Islamic law would only apply to Muslims.

Incidentally, that has not been the case. As the case of Mubarak Ode, Mubarak Bala and other non-Muslims accused of blasphemy have illustrated, Sharia is being enforced on non-Muslims in Kano and other Muslim majority states in northern Nigeria.

Blasphemy law is incompatible with human rights and civilized values. It is a weapon for religious oppression and persecution. Free Elijah Ode. Free Mubarak. Free all persons accused of blasphemy in Kano! Repeal all blasphemy laws.

Igwe chairs the Board of Trustees for the Humanist Association of Nigeria

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Lifestyle & Entertainment

BBNaija: Liquorose Tops List As Biggie Reveals Amounts Of Money Earned By Housemates

Published

on

BBNaija: Liquorose Tops List As Biggie Reveals Amounts Of Money Earned By Housemates

John Michael Ojo

The organiser of the Big Brother Naija, BBNaija reality tv show, has revealed the total amount of money earned by each of the housemates in the programme so far.

The money which is an accumulation of rewards from sponsors and tasks won singly or in group is different from the N90m grand prize for the winner of the show.

The purpose of this, is to enable the housemates to have some stipends when they eventually leave the Biggie house.

The reality show remains the biggest in the  country and has produced stars such as Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, the show host.

READ ALSO: I’m Not Perfect, 2Baba Says As He Celebrates His Birthday

The list is as follows:

  • Liquorose – N5 311 730
  • Saskay – N5 005 865
  • Michael – N4 600 000
  • Cross – N3 716 666
  • Jaypaul – N3 339 197
  • Yousef – N2 372 531
  • Emmanuel – N2 317 595
  • Pere – N2 216 666
  • Saga – N2 104 587
  • Angel – N2 098 722
  • Whitemoney – N2 065 388
  • Nini – N1 366 666
  • Jackie BN1 100 000
  • Tega – N1 092 857
  • Queen – N950 000
  • Peace – N916 666
  • Sammie – N878 396
  • JMK – N811 730
  • Princess – N500 000
  • Arin – N442 857
  • Boma – N350 000
  • Maria – N300 000
  • KayveeN250 000
  • Niyi – N205 865
  • Beatrice – N142 857
  • Yerins – N142 857

Despite its enormous opportunities in the entertainment industry, the show has been heavily criticised for its contents with many, particularly the religious body calling for its abolition.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Buhari Leaves For UN Assembly In US

Published

on

Buhari Leaves For UN Meeting In US

President Muhammadu Buhari will on Sunday leave Abuja for New York, United States, ahead of the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA76).

Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this on Saturday.

Adesina noted that the session opened on Tuesday, September 14.

The statement said that the theme for this year’s UNGA is, “Building Resilience Through Hope – To Recover from COVID-19, Rebuild Sustainably, Respond to the Needs of the Planet, Respect the Rights of People and Revitalize the United Nations.”

Buhari will address the Assembly during the General Debates on Friday, September 24.

He is expected to speak on the theme of the conference and other global issues.

READ ALSO: Presidential Candidate Dies

It said: “In the course of the Assembly, the Nigerian leader and members of the delegation will partake in other significant meetings such as; The High-Level Meeting to Commemorate The Twentieth Anniversary of the Adoption of the Durban Declaration and Programme of

Action on the theme ‘Reparations, Racial Justice and Equality for People of African Descent.’ ”

Buhari will be accompanied to New York by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Attorney General and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN); and Minister of State for Environment, Sharon Ikeazor.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

ECOWAS Gives Guinea Military Deadline To Restore Democracy

Published

on

ECOWAS Gives Guinea Military Deadline To Restore Democracy

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has ordered the Guinean military to restore democracy in the country after its coup against the civilian government.

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, stated this yesterday while representing President Muhammadu Buhari at the Extraordinary Summit of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS member-states on the political situation in the Republics of Guinea and Mali, which held in Accra, Ghana.

According to the communique issued at the end of the extraordinary summit, ECOWAS leaders have resolved to freeze the financial assets of members of the military junta, place a travel ban on them, while also demanding that the junta return Guinea to constitutional rule within six months.

READ ALSO: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea Over Military Coup

At the last summit of ECOWAS leaders which held virtually on September 8, Nigeria, also represented by VP Osinbajo, condemned the coup de‘tat in Guinea, calling for an unconditional release of President Alpha Conde, and for stringent measures on Guinea’s military junta.

At the Accra summit, Prof. Osinbajo restated Nigeria’s position, urging the unconditional release of President Condé and calling for more pressure to be put on the country’s military leaders to return the nation to democratic rule.

The vice president said : “It is also important that ECOWAS should simply insist that there should be an immediate return to civil rule.”
Calling for more stringent measures to be taken by the sub-regional body, Prof. Osinbajo said “we must make sure that sanctions by ECOWAS achieve the intended objectives.”

The vice president restated the call to engage global bodies and Africa’s development partners in taking steps to prevent such unconstitutional change of government in countries on the continent.

He said: “In this connection, I think we should engage all well-meaning stakeholders including the Africa Union, European Union, United Nations, developmental partners, and financial institutions to join in taking more stringent measures by imposing travel bans and freezing of offshore financial assets of the coupists and their collaborators to ensure that they do return the country to democracy immediately.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: