Connect with us

Latest News

COVID-19: Lagos Civil Servants To Work From Home Till Feb 26

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Boosts Fight Against COVID-19_newtimes

Civil servants on Grade Level 14 and below in Lagos who have been asked to resume on February 1, 2021 from their stay at home order were on Sunday told to remain at home till February 26, 2021.

This was disclosed on Sunday night by the state government through a statement issued by the state Head of Service, Hakeem Muri-Okunola, against the backdrop of the rising cases in the second wave of COVID-19 in the state.

The statement noted that some of the cases recorded in the past few days were from some public servants in the state, thus prompting the need to extend the stay at home order.

According to the statement posted on the Twitter handle of the state government @followlasg: “Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has extended the work from home directive to all state public servants on Grade Levels 14 and below from Monday, 1st February to Friday, 26th February, 2021.
READ ALSO; DJ Switch Begs Peter Okoye For Help

“A statement signed by the Head of Service, Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola noted with concern that pockets of Coronavirus infections had been observed among public servants in the state.

“Muri-Okunola stated also that the directive is in line with the Presidential Order on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Health Protection Regulations which states that no gathering of more than 50 persons shall hold in an enclosed space.

“He advised staff to stay safe by observing all COVID-19 protocols such as the use of face masks, physical distancing and regular washing of hands with soap and water as well as the use of hand sanitisers.

“Muri-Okunola maintained that the directive excludes Essential Duty Staff, First Responders, as well as Officers saddled with assignments in the weekly Duty Rosters of their respective Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).”

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Buhari Leaves For UN Assembly In US

Published

on

Buhari Leaves For UN Meeting In US

President Muhammadu Buhari will on Sunday leave Abuja for New York, United States, ahead of the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA76).

Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this on Saturday.

Adesina noted that the session opened on Tuesday, September 14.

The statement said that the theme for this year’s UNGA is, “Building Resilience Through Hope – To Recover from COVID-19, Rebuild Sustainably, Respond to the Needs of the Planet, Respect the Rights of People and Revitalize the United Nations.”

Buhari will address the Assembly during the General Debates on Friday, September 24.

He is expected to speak on the theme of the conference and other global issues.

READ ALSO: Presidential Candidate Dies

It said: “In the course of the Assembly, the Nigerian leader and members of the delegation will partake in other significant meetings such as; The High-Level Meeting to Commemorate The Twentieth Anniversary of the Adoption of the Durban Declaration and Programme of

Action on the theme ‘Reparations, Racial Justice and Equality for People of African Descent.’ ”

Buhari will be accompanied to New York by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Attorney General and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN); and Minister of State for Environment, Sharon Ikeazor.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Presidential Candidate Dies

Published

on

Presidential Candidate Dies

A presidential candidate, Olusegun Bamgbose , who contested the last presidential election on the platform of the New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP) is dead.

Bamgbose who was also the National Coordinator, Concerned Advocates for Good Governance, CAGG, was the Principal Head, God’s Own Chambers, a legal team based in Aba, Abia State, died on Friday after a brief illness.

The Foundation for Environmental Rights, Advocacy & Development (FENRAD), whose legal team he headed, described Bamgbose as a strong voice on matters of good governance and human rights advocacy.

Comrade Nelson Nnanna Nwafor, Executive Director of FENRAD, in a statement, said Bamgbose was “richly endowed with political sagacity and was consistent in holding governments to account as he lent his voice to the most critical of national and local issues.

“Through his intervention and actions, government relaxed many unpopular policies. He was a fine gentleman, very hardworking, a lovely husband, father and friend to all. His humble mien, approach and disposition endeared him to many. Throughout his stay on earth, he was truly committed to the promotion and protection of environmental, human, and democracy rights which aligned with FENRAD’s goals.

READ ALSO: Kidnapped NDA Major Regains Freedom

“We made many wins working together through his wise and ever-ready counsel. He led and piloted our legal department with such impeccable professionalism as a lawyer properly called.

“We are indeed pained by this loss and pray that God, in this trying time, grants his family – immediate and extended – the fortitude to bear this huge loss; same we also pray for on his friends, learned colleagues and those who by this exit are pained.

“Barr. Olusegun Bamgbose will be terribly missed .

“May his gentle soul find rest in the bosom of the Almighty. Adieu to the great iroko, an icon and a towering legal luminary!”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Kidnapped NDA Major Regains Freedom

Published

on

Kidnapped NDA Major Regains Freedom

A military officer who was kidnapped during an attack on the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna State by bandits last month has regained his freedom.

Some gunmen suspected to be bandits broke into the Nigerian foremost military school on August 24, killed officers and abducted Major CL Datong.

The abducted major was in the kidnapper’s den till he was rescued on Friday.

The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Colonel Ezindu Idimah who confirmed the development, said Datong was rescued by troops.

According to him, the operations leading to his rescue led to the destruction of several identified bandits’ camps in Afaka- Birnin Gwari areas of the state, revealing that scores of bandits were killed during the operation, particularly, in the late hours of September 17, 2021.

He said the Division in conjunction with the Air Task Force, Department of State Services and other security agencies, immediately swung into action by conducting operations in the Afaka general area to find and rescue the officer after a directive by the Chief of Army Staff.

READ ALSO: Govt To Appeal Judgment To Pay Igboho N20b Damages

“The troops arrived at a camp suspected to be the location where Maj CL Datong was being held. At the camp, the troops exchanged fire with the bandits and overwhelmed them with superior fire.

“In the process, the gallant troops were able to rescue the abducted officer. However, the officer sustained a minor injury but has been treated in a medical facility and handed over to NDA for further action,” he said.

He lauded the efforts of the NAF, DSS , Nigerian Police and “patriotic Nigerians” who worked tirelessly for the release of the victim.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: