Connect with us

Latest News

Presidency warns of smear campaign against Buhari

Published

on

Govt To Bar Workers Without COVID-19 Vaccination From Access To Offices Dec 1

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday warned of what he described as an ongoing campaign to attack him in the media.

According to him, the campaign, which is scheduled to begin soon is designed to further fuel the tension already in the land by portraying him as an ethnic bigot, contrary to his pledge to belong to all Nigerians and for no one.

President Buhari, who disclosed this in a statement in Abuja by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, alleged that people stoking ethnic and religious unrest in the country are motivated by quest for power and filthy lucre.

“Those who are bent on stoking ethnic and religious unrest in the country remain deaf to reason, and impervious to reality. They are hell-bent on distorting reality and Nigerians are urged to be wary of them. It is all about quest for power and filthy lucre,” he said.

He said security sources had revealed that those behind the plan had procured online blogs and newspapers for their plan, which they would launch any moment from now.

According to him, the plan will be implemented through newspapers editorials and special investigative stories designed to exacerbate ethnic/religious tensions in the country. The statement reads in part: “There is compelling reason to alert the nation to another orchestrated smear campaign against President Muhammadu Buhari, using some online newspapers and blogs.

READ ALSO; More Chibok Girls Escape From Boko Haram

“The campaign, scheduled to be launched anytime soon through editorials and purported special investigative stories, is designed to further exacerbate tension in the land, by portraying the president as pandering to ethnic and other primordial tendencies, contrary to his pledge to belong to all Nigerians.

“Impeccable security findings indicate that those behind the plot have procured online blogs and newspapers, which are to launch coordinated publications, alleging subjugation and suppression of a particular religion and ethnic groups.

“A specific medium has so far contacted some opinion leaders, especially those very critical of President Buhari.

“Part of the planned publication is to make unwary readers believe that the President has continually used the powers of his office to shield and protect an ethnic group against crimes of murder, kidnappings, rape and banditry in the southern, middle belt and some northern states.

“The publication will also refer Nigerians to a 58-page document, which chronicles purported atrocities of the ethnic group in the South since 2017, all of which it claims the presidency has turned blind eyes to.

“Again, the hatchet job will allege that the president has continued to place members of his ethnic nationality in sensitive positions, so as to confer undue advantage on them. This allegation is by no means supported with reasonable facts and figures.”

The presidency recalled that just on Thursday, President Buhari, while meeting with the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, restated his even-handedness on the issues of ethnicity and religion. It quoted Buhari as saying at the meeting: “The Federal Government under my leadership does not, and will not, allow religious prejudice or partisanship to influence any of its decisions and policies. It is my solemn decision to be fair and just to all segments of the society.”

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

Published

on

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 20220 - Mohammed

A year after the EndSARS protest, Information Minister Lai Mohammed has insisted that there was no massacre of Nigerians at Lekki where the event held last year.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two At Lekki Tollgate As EndSARS Procession Holds

During a news conference in Abuja, Mohammed said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: