Connect with us

Latest News

Govt To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge Again

Published

on

Govt Reopens Third Mainland Bridge_newtimes

The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola on Wednesday announced another three days of total shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge for another round of delicate expansion and joints replacement.

Popoola said that the shutdown is expected to take effect from midnight on Friday to midnight of Monday, Feb. 1.

He explained that construction had reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints, hence the need to stop all movements on the bridge that could cause vibrations.

He said that the 72 hours closure was to allow the concrete to set properly during the curing process’ to make the rehabilitation perfect and durable.

He therefore appealed for understanding among the residents saying that, the Muhammadu Buhari administration was passionate about quality infrastructure delivery and the safety of road users as well.

“Messers Boroni Prono is planning to cast three number expansion joints on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st.

” This will require a total closure of Third Mainland bridge from 12:00 midnight of Friday 29th till midnight of Monday 1st February 2021.

READ ALSO: Inauguration of Lagos-Ibadan railway project on hold as 60 workers contract Covid-19

“We are sorry for the inconveniences this may cause Lagosians,”Popoola said.

The Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, which has been going through a series of repairs, had been partially shut on July 24 last year where a round of rehabilitation was carried out.

The repairs which were expected to last six months was extended by one month due to the effect of the #EndSARSThe Federal Controller of Works Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola on Wednesday announced another three days of total shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge for another round of delicate expansion joints replacement.

Popoola said that the shutdown is expected to take effect from midnight on Friday to midnight of Monday, Feb. 1.

He explained that construction works had reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints, hence the need to stop all movements on the bridge that could cause vibrations.

He said that the 72 hours closure was to allow the concrete to set properly during the curing process’ to make the rehabilitation works perfect and durable.

He therefore appealed for understanding among the residents saying that, the Muhammadu Buhari administration was passionate about quality infrastructure delivery and the safety of road users as well.

“Messers Boroni Prono is planning to cast three number expansion joints on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st.

” This will require total closure of Third Mainland bridge from 12:00 midnight of Friday 29th till midnight of Monday 1st February 2021.

“We are sorry for the inconveniences this may cause Lagosians,”Popoola said.

READ ALSO: CBN Warns Against Fresh COVID-19 Lockdown Retains Interest Rate At 11.5%

The Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, which has been going through series of repairs, had been partially shut on July 24 last year where a round of rehabilitation works was carried out.

The repairs which was expected to last six months were extended by one month due to the effect of the #EndSARS protests in Lagos extending the completion date from January 2021 to February.

The construction was initially divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonsoki bound carriageway whose completion dragged to four months.

Traffic was partially diverted on a stretch of 3.5km where construction is ongoing between Adeniji Adeniji Ramp and Ebute Meta, while different time belts were allotted for traffic diversions on the bridge. protests in Lagos extending the completion date from January 2021 to February.

The construction was initially divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonsoki bound carriageway whose completion dragged to four months.

Traffic was partially diverted on a stretch of 3.5km where construction is ongoing between Adeniji Adeniji Ramp and Ebute Meta, while different time belts were allotted for traffic diversions on the bridge.

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Court Jails APC Senator Seven Years For Fraud

Published

on

Court Jails APC Senator Seven Years For Fraud

The Senator representing Delta North Senatorial District at the National Assembly, Peter Nwaoboshi of the All Progressives Congress (APC) , has been sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment.

The Court of Appeal in Lagos on Friday also ordered that the senator’s two companies, Golden Touch Construction Project Ltd and Suiming Electrical Ltd, be wound up in line with the provisions of Section 22 of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2021.

The court’s ruling was delivered in an appeal challenging the judgment of Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke of the Federal High Court which on June 18, 2021, discharged and acquitted the defendants on two counts of fraud and money laundering. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) which arraigned him however challenged the lower court’s decision.

EFCC had arraigned the three defendants over the acquisition of a property named Guinea House, Marine Road, in Apapa, Lagos, for N805 million.

 READ ALSO: Why Move To Impeach Senate President Will Fail – Nwaboshi

Part of the money paid to the vendor – N322 million transferred by Suiming Electrical Ltd on behalf of Nwaoboshi and Golden Touch Construction Project Ltd – was alleged to be part of proceeds of fraud.

Earlier in his judgment, Justice Aneke said the evidence of the prosecutor “proved that the third defendant obtained a loan of N1.2 billion from Zenith Bank to purchase additional equipment and as provision of working capital”.

“It also proved that the loan of N1.2 billion together with interest of N24 million was properly granted to the third defendant .Nothing else was proved by the complainant or prosecutor in this case,” the EFCC quoted the judge as saying in a statement.

The high court judge was also quoted as claiming that a fatal blow was dealt to the case of the prosecution by its failure to call officials of Sterling Bank “to testify and probably tender exhibits F and F10. Consequently, he discharged and acquitted the defendants”.

However, ruling on the EFCC’s appeal on Friday, the Court of Appeal held that the trial judge erred in dismissing the charges against the respondents.

“The court said the prosecution had proved the ingredients of the offence and consequently found the defendants guilty as charged,” EFCC said.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Drama In Court As Lawyer Appears In Priestly Attire

Published

on

VIDEO: Drama As Lawyer In Priestly Attire Appears In Court

By John Michael Ojo
There was a mild drama today at the Okpoko Magistrate Court in the Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State, as a lawyer simply identified as Ogbachalu Goshen appeared before the court in a pastoral robe.

But Ogbachalu who was standing before the magistrate, CB Mbaegbu, was denied  hearing on the ground that he was not properly attired, leading to a minor incident in the court.

READ ALSO: Female Students Can Wear Hijab To Lagos Schools – Supreme Court

However,  citing a recent Supreme Court’s judgment which supported the wearing of hijab by female students in public schools as a reference point, Ogbachalu reminded the court that it was his right to dress in his priestly attire as he was an ordained pastor and that the objection by the court to hear him, was an infringement on his fundamental human right as enshrined in section 38 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

The magistrate however disagreed his submission which only forced the court to dismiss.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Court Orders Immigration, Banks To Release David Ukpo’s Details To Ekweremadu

Published

on

Court Orders Immigration, Banks To Release David Ukpo's Details To Ekweremadu

To enable detained former Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu to effectively defend himself in London, a Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday ordered the Nigerian Immigration Service and three banks to immediately release details of David Ukpo to him.

Justice Inyang Ekwo issued the order while delivering judgment in a suit instituted by Ekweremadu and his wife, Beatrice.

The judgment against the defendants followed their non-appearance in court to defend the suit.

By the court order, all official information including the account opening package in relation to Ukpo are to be released to Senator Ekweremadu to ascertain the real age of the said Ukpo.

READ ALSO: Real Age Of Ekweremadu’s Kidney Donor – Immigration

Ukpo had claimed at a London court that he was a minor of 15 years old which led to the arrest and detention of the Nigerian Senator.

Other defendants are the Comptroller General (C-G), Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS); Stanbic-IBTC Bank, United Bank of Africa (UBA), and Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc as 2nd to 5th respondents, respectively.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: