Not less than 700 mega watts of electricity are to be added to the national grid as the Federal Government commissions the $1.3 billion Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project this year.
Also, the 215MW Kudenda power station in Chikun local government area of Kaduna State, which has reached 80 per cent completion, will be completed before the end of 2022.
The Minister of power Abubakar Aliyu who gave the assurance when he paid an inspection visit to the power station in Kaduna, yesterday said the turbine power station which was designed to use both gas and diesel, was initiated by the late President Umaru Yar’ Adua but started by former President Goodluck Jonathan only to be abandoned by that government in the twilight of it’s administration despite nearing completion.
Meanwhile, the deputy project manager of the Zungeru project, Li Xiao Ming, in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, yesterday said the first turbine which would generate 175 mega watts of electricity would be commissioned in the first quarter of 2022, while the second turbine, also designed to generate 175 mega watts, would be commissioned in the second quarter of 2022.
He added that the third turbine would be commissioned in the third quarter of 2022 while the fourth and last of the turbines, would be concluded and commissioned in December the same year.
In Kaduna, the minister who toured the facility in company of the state governor Nasir El-Rufai, said the existing administration was worried about the power generation hovering around 5,000MW, noting that efforts were in top gear to quickly increase it to 7,000MW, then 11,000 MW before finally reaching 25,000MW in a few years.
According to him, the major challenge faced by electricity in Nigeria is poor transmission of power generated, while stating that government is doing everything possible to harvest the generated power, transmit it and generally improve electricity supply across the country.
“This power station project started in 2012 and it has reached over 80 per cent completion before work stalled, now we are trying to revive it. There are four partners and we are discussing with them to see how we can complete the project and bring it on stream. It would be powered by diesel first before the supply of gas because it uses dual source of power.
“This year is a year of delivery, the present situation we are in is not good enough, we have to improve. The power generated has been 5,000MW for a long time, it would be going down without investment which is why we are having a system collapse, we had 15 or 16 year back, last year it was only two system collapses.
“Within six months, you will see the electricity of this country improve. The Siemens which is an agreement struck between Nigeria and Germany will come on stream, there are 10 massive transformers to be deployed all round the country in specific locations. We also deployed 175 mobile substations some greenfield, some brownfield, which we are going to construct.
“This is 215MW, we have lots of them; Gurara Dam with 30MW, Zungeru with 700MW, Kashimbila has given 40MW to the grid, Dadinkowa also 40MW. We will increase energy. I was in Katsina on new year day January 1 to inspect the windmill which will produce 10MW and a 330KVA transmission line to Kano.”
The minister lamented that many of the power facilities were allowed to become moribund, but that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration will do everything possible to bring them back to life and ensure that there is stable electricity devoid of uneccessary power outages .
The Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project, a 700 megawatts (940,000hp) hydroelectric power plant, is being constructed by a Consortium of CNEEC and SINOHYDRO in Niger State, Nigeria. Upon completion, it will rank as the second largest hydroelectric power project in the country after the 760 megawatts (1,020,000 hp) Kainji hydroelectric power project.
It is also one of the biggest power projects in Africa to secure preferential loan facility from the Export-Import Bank (Exim Bank) of China.
According to Xiao Ming, the project is estimated to generate 2.64 billion kWh of electricity annually which, he added, will provide about 10 percent of Nigeria’s total domestic energy needs.
He added that besides providing flood control, irrigation as well as water supply and fish breeding facilities to host communities and beyond, the plant would provide more than 2,000 people with job opportunities.
The assistant human resources manager, Aliyu Muhammad Temaku, added that the plant would provide a huge respite both to the epileptic power sector and the struggling economy of the country when completed.
“Sinohydro Electric Power Project is the contractor handling the construction of 700mw electricity in Zungeru, Niger state. The project which started sometime in 2013 with contract sum of $1.3 billion is at the moment 95% completion stage”, he stated.
The project, according to him was initially expected to be delivered in six years starting from 2013 but because of some unforeseen challenges, both artificial and natural disasters, the initial date could not be met.
“Right now, the first unit of 175 turbines is expected to be commissioned in first quarter 2022 hopefully with the work progress and workforce we have at the moment the target would be met.
“The dam, like I said earlier is supposed to generate 700mw of electricity which will add to the national grid and it has four components of 175 turbines each, so the first unit is 175mw which is to be delivered first quarter of 2022, then subsequently the remaining three components,” he further explained.
Enumerating some of the debilitating problems hindering the deadline fir the completion of the project, Temaku, said “before now there were issues of compensation which at this moment have been addressed by the Federal Government and COVID-19 which led to a global shutdown.”
He lamented that during the period, a greater percentage of the employees had to go home in order to curb the spread of the virus and that in 2019, there was flood which he said further delayed the project.
Read more authentic news on our social media platforms
‘Governor Abiodun Committed To Rule Of Law, Democracy’
The commitment of the administration of Governor Dapo Abiodun in Ogun State to ensure the preservation of the rule of law, battle corruption and, protect the tenets of democracy in the country has again been reiterated.
According to a top functionary of the government, apart from prioritising the welfare of the people, the administration is working hard to deepen the people’s beliefs in the nations democratic process.
Kayode Akinmade, a Chief Consultant on Media to the governor, who spoke while answering questions on a television programme on Friday, said as a law-abiding leader, the governor has always taken recourse to the judiciary to seek redress for himself and his administration whenever the need arises, rather than engage in self-help.
Akinmade stressed that the decision of the governor to approach the court over the matter between him and the impeached chairman of Ijebu East Local Government Area, Wale Adedayo, is a demonstration of his belief in the rule of law and his indisposition to ‘rule of force’.
Adedayo appeared before a Magistrate’s Court at Isabo, Abeokuta, on a petition filed by the state government against him over an earlier allegation of diversion of funds meant for Council Areas in the state. Governor Abiodun is insisting that the former Council boss must prove his allegations against his administration or face the wrath of the law for falsely inciting the people against the government.
Adedayo was arraigned on a two-count charge. According to Akinmade, it is wrong for people to rush to accuse the governor of persecuting Adedayo, who according to him, has “severally apologised to the governor in private while continuing with his ill-motivated misinformation in public.”
“The governor believes that taking Adedayo before the court will deepen our democracy and entrench the rule of law.
“Unlike some other people in Governor Abiodun’s shoes who would readily recourse to sending thugs after and unleashing other forms of violence on those who accused them rightly or wrongly, our governor decided to seek redress in court. I think he should be commended by all and sundry for this. What he is doing is giving Adedayo a chance to prove his allegations,” Akinmade said.
On the allegation by the impeached chairman that the governor is behind his removal, Akinmade said Adedayo was already facing removal from office before he raised the false alarms against the governor. “He has already been accused of several impeachable offences before he wrote the letter alleging that the governor diverted council funds. He had already reached out to the governor and other leaders of the party to help him stave off his removal. It was when he realized he may not survive the impeachment move that he connived with some other unscrupulous politicians in the party to malign the governor and discredit the APC in Ogun State,” Akinmade said.
The media chief added that claims by Adedayo that he got zero allocation since he became chairman of his local government were proved wrong by the Joint Account Allocation Committee (JAAC) in the state when the House of Assembly looked into his petition. He recalled that other council chairmen in the state also debunked the allegation and even brought Adedayo with them to apologize to the governor for the wrong allegations.
“But in spite of all these, he didn’t stop his scripted plot to tarnish the image of the governor. Hence, Governor Abiodun approached the court for redress,” he added.
Speaking further, Akinmade recalled that the impeached council boss has been in office for more than two years before making his frivolous and unfounded allegations. “One then wonders why he is raising this alarm now. He claimed zero allocation, but he has been collecting his monthly N3 million security votes regularly. Local government staff in his LGA are not being owed, and primary school teachers there are paid as at when due. We all should be asking him to explain what he meant by zero allocation,” he said.
BREAKING: Kaduna Guber Tribunal Nullifies Election Of Governor Uba Sani
The governorship election petition tribunal sitting in Kaduna on Thursday declared the election of Uba Sani of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as inconclusive and thus nullified the exercise.
The tribunal made the declaration while delivering judgement via Zoom in a petition by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Isah Ashiru, challenging the election of Sani in the March 2023, election.
The tribunal ordered that fresh election be conducted in seven wards in four LGAs of the state.
In Shakeup Of FCT Administration, Wike Sacks Agencies, Parastatals Heads
In a decisive shakeup of the administration of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), its Minister Nyesom Wike, has sacked the heads of 21 parastatals, agencies, and government companies.
This was disclosed in a statement by the Director of Press, Office of the Minister, Anthony Ogunleye, in Abuja on Wednesday.
Ogunleye identified the affected heads of the agencies as follows:
1. Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Abuja Investment Company Ltd
2. CEO/Managing Director, Abuja Markets Management Ltd
3. MD/CEO, Abuja Urban Mass Transport Company
4. CEO/MD, Abuja Property Development Company
5. CEO/MD, Abuja Technology Village Free Trade Zone Company
6. CEO/MD, Abuja Film Village International
7. CEO/MD, Powernoth AICL Equipment Leasing Company Ltd
8. MD, Abuja Broadcasting Corporation
9. MD, Abuja Enterprise Agency
10. General Manager, FCT Water Board
11. Director-General, FCT Emergency Management Agency
12. Executive Secretary, FCT Primary Healthcare Board
13. DG, Hospital Management Board
14. Director, Abuja Environmental Protection Board
15. Director, FCT Scholarship Board
16. Director, FCT Christian Pilgrims Welfare Board
17. Director, Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board
18. Coordinator, Abuja Infrastructure Investment Center
19. Director, FCT Health Insurance Scheme
20. Coordinator, Satellite Towns Development Department
21. Coordinator, Abuja Metropolitan Management Council
The director of the press said that the affected appointees should hand over the affairs of their offices to the most senior officers in rank.
He added that appointments in the offices would be made in due course.
NEW TIMES CULTURE
‘Governor Abiodun Committed To Rule Of Law, Democracy’
How To Enter Sapele And Warri From Benin Now (1)
The Witch, The Pentecostal, And Jungle Justice
Why GOFAMINT General Overseer Demoted His Deputy
BREAKING: UK Suspends Work, Study, Family Visas For Nigerians Over Ukraine War
BREAKING: First Nigerian Female Vice Chancellor Alele-Williams Is Dead
Opinion4 days ago
Mohbad: When Love And Light Are Not Enough
Opinion3 days ago
Poisoning And Witchcraft Accusations In Africa
Opinion4 days ago
Soyinka And The Gbajue Metaphor
For The Record3 days ago
Socio-cultural And Economic Strides Of Anioma
Politics2 days ago
Obaseki Accepts Deputy Governor Shuaibu’s Apologies