Connect with us

Latest News

Nigerians Travelling To Britain Face Seven-Day Isolation

Published

on

Nigerians Travelling To Britain Face Seven-Day Isolation

Due to the British government not comprehensively reviewing Nigeria’s vaccination certification programme yet, Nigerians travelling to Britain will still be isolated for seven days .

The Executive Director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Dr Faisal Shuaib, disclosed this on Tuesday at a briefing on the progress of COVID-19 vaccination in Nigeria.

Shuaib said the vaccines administered in Nigeria were approved by the UK Government.

He noted that the UK officials were also involved in the vaccination programme in Nigeria through the Foreign, Commonwealth Development Office.

The Executive Director of NPHCDA said the agency was optimistic that by the time Nigeria’s COVID-19 vaccination programme certification was assessed, it would be approved by the UK government.

He said: “Nigeria’s status has not changed. Nigeria is not among the listed countries that need mandatory quarantine for 14 days in a supervised UK facility.

READ ALSO: Senators Condemn Abaribe’s TV Interview On PIA

“The statement released by the UK Government is in line with the statement released last week that Nigerians will continue to isolate upon arrival to the UK. This is similar to our requirement to have travellers from the UK isolate for seven days upon arrival in Nigeria.

“The Presidential Steering Committee is in the process of reviewing these requirements. We have been in touch with the UK Government.

Just like they stated clearly in their communication, the current listing of countries with approved vaccination certification has just started in the UK.

“They are reviewing the country’s programmes in phases. If you go through the list of 50 closely, no African country made the list. Once it gets to our turn, we are more likely than not to get approved in the coming weeks. Like the UK Government has clearly stated, the process of assessment would occur in phases.”

Shuaib also pointed out that in recent weeks, the agency had intensified campaigns for the uptake of second dose using multiple media strategies, stakeholders, and community engagements.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

We Teargassed Hoodlums Not ENDSARS Protesters – Police

Published

on

We Teargassed Hoodlums Not ENDSARS Protesters - Police

Amid allegations of indiscriminate shooting during the protest of Wednesday, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, has said that his officers only fired teargas at hoodlums at the Lekki Toll-Gate and not #EndSARSMemorial protesters.

The policemen who arrived at the venue of the protest in large numbers on Wednesday morning reportedly fired teargas canisters, brutalised and arrested several other protesters at the venue.

But Mr Odumosu, who addressed journalists, claimed that those present after 10:00 a.m. were hoodlums, as “activists had informed us that their activity will start by 8:00 a.m. and last till 10:00 a.m.”

“They had an agreement with us that they will be having a car procession, which they are done with and have left,” the police boss said.

He claimed the activists informed the police that other persons seen at the venue after the stipulated time were not part of them. Mr Odumosu also said the “hoodlums” were out for destruction and to steal, adding that dangerous materials were found in their possession.

READ ALSO: Police Teargas EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

“They told us that they finished their activity around 10:00 a.m., adding that whoever was found still hanging around is not part of them,” Mr Odumosu maintained.

“Those you can see around now are hoodlums who want to steal and cause destruction. We found knives, cutlasses and other dangerous materials in their(hoodlums) possession.

“Those cannot be protesters but hoodlums, and that is why they were chased away so that peaceful citizens can go about their lawful businesses.”

It was also reported how officers fired teargas canisters into moving commuter buses in Lagos.

Earlier, a young man Adedotun Clement who identified himself as an Uber driver was brutalised by the officers.

A video of the moment captured by Arise TV saw the officers manhandle and pepper-spray Mr Clement as they tried to force him into a police van.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: