Connect with us

Latest News

Why Past 18 Months Have Been Most Difficult In Nigeria – Buhari

Published

on

Govt To Bar Workers Without COVID-19 Vaccination From Access To Offices Dec 1

For President Muhammadu Buhari, the past 18 months  have been  the most difficult period in the history of Nigeria since the civil war.

Buhari stated this in a nationwide broadcast to mark the nation’s 61st independence anniversary on Friday in Abuja.

The president noted that the nation had never witnessed more heightened challenges than what happened in the past 18 months.

President Buhari identified the devastating impacts of COVID-19 pandemic on the nation’s economy as one of the major challenges facing the country.

“Fellow Nigerians, the past 18 months have been some of the most difficult periods in the history of Nigeria. Since the civil war, I doubt whether we have seen a period of more heightened challenges than what we have witnessed in this period.

“Our original priorities for 2020 were to continue stabilising our economy following the deep recession while restoring peace in areas confronted with security challenges.

READ ALSO: We Have Identified Financiers Of Kanu, Igboho, Other Agitators – Buhari

“But the COVID-19 pandemic and its devastating impact on all nations meant we needed to shift gears and re-strategise.

“Nigerians came together as one to fight against COVID-19. It is this attitude and by the special grace of God, we continue to survive the pandemic as a nation and indeed, provide leadership and example at regional and international levels.’’

The Nigerian leader, however, assured citizens that his administration had successfully invested heavily in response to COVID-19 to tackle possible future outbreak pandemics in the country.

He said: “The doomsday scenario predicted for our country never came. Even as the Delta variant continues to spread, we have built the capacity we need to respond now and into the future.

“I will, therefore, appeal to Nigerians not to take COVID lightly, adhere to public health and social measures, put your mask on and get vaccinated.

“We can control this pandemic, but it requires effort on everybody’s part. The investments we made in response to COVID-19 will also serve our country to tackle any future disease outbreaks or pandemics.’’

According to the president, despite the global inequity in access to vaccines, the Federal Government has continued to explore all available options to ensure Nigerians have free access to safe and effective vaccines.

He revealed that already five million vaccine doses had been administered to Nigerians through efforts led by the National Primary Health Care Development Agency.

The president assured that the government would continue to explore options for purchase or acquisition of vaccines such as through COVAX and the African Vaccine Acquisition Trust.

READ ALSO: Buhari Okays Conditional Lifting Of Twitter Ban

“I will take this opportunity to remind the global community that the current state of access to COVID-19 vaccines is unacceptable. We cannot afford a situation where a handful of countries keep the global vaccine supply to themselves at the expense of other nations.

“We must act now to accelerate equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. This is the message I conveyed to the international community in New York last week.

“As we push to source vaccines for our immediate needs, we shall invest more to support our pharmaceutical and research agencies to come up with ideas for locally developed vaccines. Should another pandemic arise in the future, our question is simple; will Nigeria be ready?

“Accordingly, I have directed the Ministries of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Health, Education and Science and Technology to work with Nigerian and International pharmaceutical companies and research organisations to enhance Nigeria’s domestic pharmaceutical capacity,’’ he said.

President Buhari disclosed that already, the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority is raising a 200 million dollars fund for the initiative that would complement the Central Bank of Nigeria’s ongoing N85 billion Healthcare Sector Research and Development Intervention Scheme.

According to him, this is to support local researchers in the development of vaccines and drugs to combat communicable and non-communicable diseases, including COVID-19.

On his administration’s approach to food security, the president said: “I am proud to announce Nigeria has commenced its journey to pharmaceutical independence.

READ ALSO: Protesters Demand Buhari’s Resignation

“This journey, which will take years to achieve but will ultimately result in Nigeria-based companies developing the active pharmaceutical substances and competence needed for us to make our own drugs and vaccines.’’

(NAN)

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

Published

on

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 20220 - Mohammed

A year after the EndSARS protest, Information Minister Lai Mohammed has insisted that there was no massacre of Nigerians at Lekki where the event held last year.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two At Lekki Tollgate As EndSARS Procession Holds

During a news conference in Abuja, Mohammed said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: