Connect with us

Politics

To Avoid Crisis, Embrace E-transmission Of Election Results – Jonathan

Published

on

To Avoid Crisis, Embrace E-transmission Of Election Results - Jonathan

To avoid crisis that results from a lack of a transparent election, former President Goodluck Jonathan has urged that an electronic transmission of election results be approved.

Mr Jonathan who spoke at the inauguration of the National Defence College (NDC), in Abuja, urged Nigerian lawmakers to reconsider the deployment of electronic transmission for the sake of transparency and avoidance of violence.

“Where there is no confidence in the electoral umpire, people resort to crisis. But unfortunately, sometimes when the result comes out, the damage would have been done,” the former president said.

“I urge the National Assembly (NASS), while looking at the law, they should allow the use of electronic means of transmitting results for the sake of transparency as well as avoiding electoral crisis,“ he added.

Mr Jonathan’s warning comes a few days after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) accused the National Assembly of being the only blockade to the e-transmission of election results.

The commission said it would electronically transmit elections results “if the choice was up to INEC”, reiterating that it has over the years put adequate structures for such in place across Nigeria.

READ ALSO: Whereabouts Of Buhari Unknown As Osinbajo Presides Over Executive Council Meeting

The election umpire had earlier in July expressed its readiness to switch to electronic transmission of election results.

INEC spokesperson Festus Okoye said the commission had since 2018 proved to the National Assembly its capacity to electronically transmit election results across all parts of Nigeria, including from remote areas.

But after months of consideration about whether or not the country should eliminate a crucial channel of election rigging and allow electronic transmission of results, lawmakers of the ruling All Progressives Congress exclusively rejected the proposal in the Senate.

The APC senators said there was no capacity for INEC to transmit results via electronic channels throughout the country, leaving the final decision to the NCC. The move was rejected by opposition PDP senators, who voted entirely in support of electronic transmission of results as a needed improvement to a process long marred by irregularities.

Shortly after the rejection at the senate, APC lawmakers in the House also followed their Senate counterparts to kick against the deployment of electronic transmission, leading PDP lawmakers to stage a walkout of the parliament session in anger.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Politics

Ekiti SSG Oyebanji Resigns From Cabinet, To Contest For Governor

Published

on

Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has accepted the resignation of Secretary to the State Government, Biodun Oyebanji, from his cabinet.

The resignation which was conveyed in a letter to the governor, dated December 3, 2021, takes effect from Tuesday, December 7th.

According to a statement by Yinka Oyebode, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Oyebanji had cited his decision to contest the forth-coming governorship election in the state for his resignation as Secretary to the State Government.

Governor Fayemi in accepting Oyebanji’s resignation, thanked the former SSG for his remarkable contribution to the administration since inception in 2018 and wished him well in his future endeavours.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ekiti 2022: Fayemi Gives Dec 18 Deadline To Governorship Aspirants To Resign

Published

on

Ekiti 2022:Fayemi Gives Dec 18 Deadline To Governorship Aspirants To Resign

Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi has directed anyone serving in his government who would like to contest the governorship primaries to tender his or her resignation latest by December 18th.

The directive was contained in a statement by the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Yinka Oyebode, in Ado-Ekiti on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Insurgency Has Declined Under Buhari – Fayemi

The development, according to the statement, became imperative in order to ensure cohesion and excellent service delivery – two major hallmarks of the administration- remain uncompromised.

In compliance with directives of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti State has slated the governorship primaries for January, ahead of the June 2022 governorship election.

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Politics

Court Affirms Election Of Soludo As Anambra Governor

Published

on

Court Affirms Election Of Soludo As Anambra Governor

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Wednesday declined to nullify the election of Prof. Chukwuma Soludo as the governor of Anambra State.

The court, in a judgement that was delivered by Justice Taiwo Taiwo, dismissed a suit that sought to invalidate Soludo’s election on the allegation that he supplied false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC).

The Plaintiffs, Adindu Valentine and Egwudike Chukwuebuka, had in their suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/711/2021, alleged that Soludo lied in the affidavit (Form EC9), which he submitted to INEC.

They claimed that Soludo, in the said affidavit attached to his nomination form, stated that he was contesting the Aguata 2 Constituency seat, when, in fact, he was contesting the governorship seat.

More so, they told the court that an affidavit Soludo’s running mate and Deputy Governor-elect, Onyeka Ibezim, also submitted to INEC, contained false particulars considering that he stated that he was vying for Awka 2 Constituency seat.

Cited as defendants in the suit were the INEC, the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Soludo and the Deputy Governor-elect, Ibezim.

The plaintiffs, through their lawyers, , A. O. Ijeri and Kelvin Okoko, argued that having indicated the wrong seat on the form, Soludo, violated extant legal provisions and ought to be disqualified.

“The constitution has made a state a constituency in relation to the governorship election, but in this case, the third defendant (Soludo) named Aguata 2 as the constituency he is contesting.

“The cause of action in a pre-election matter, by the provision of Section 285(9) of the Constitution, is determined by the date of the occurrence of the event, a decision or action complained about in the suit by the plaintiff.

“And in the instant suit, the cause of action of the plaintiffs arose on July 6, 2021, when the 3rd Defendant’s (Soludo’s) Form EC9 was submitted by the political party (the 2nd Defendant)”, they argued.

However, counsel for APGA and Soludo, Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN, queried jurisdiction of the court to entertain the matter which he maintained was statue barred.

Aside from contending that the suit was filed outside the 14 days period stipulated by the Constitution, Ikpeazu, argued that error in an affidavit could not be a basis to disqualify a candidate from an election.

He argued that the false information claimed by the plaintiffs was not among the grounds stated in the 1999 Constitution for the disqualification of a candidate.

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Affirms Soludo As APGA Governorship Candidate For Anambra Poll

“False information, as envisaged in Section 31 of the Electoral Act is criminal in nature. Section 31 does not deal with error, but a deliberate effort to steal a match and to misrepresent”, he added.

On its part, INEC, through its lawyer, Bashir Abubakar, said it would leave the issue to the discretion of the court.

Meanwhile, in his judgement on Wednesday, though Justice Taiwo dismissed the preliminary objection challenging the competence of the suit and jurisdiction of the court to hear it, he however held that the plaintiffs, failed to establish that they had a reasonable cause of action.

Justice Taiwo held that the plaintiffs failed to convince the court on how the alleged false information both Soludo and Ibezim supplied to INEC, misled them.

The court held that since the allegation by the plaintiffs was also criminal in nature, it ought to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

It held that the suit was filed in bad faith and a good example of cases that are not geared towards strengthening of the tenets of democracy in the country.

“I am yet to come to terms on the purpose for which this suit was filed. I am saying this because I am not convinced that this action is reasonable”, Justice Taiwo added.

Consequently, the court awarded N2million cost against the plaintiffs, in favour of the APGA, Soludo and Ibezim.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: