Connect with us

Tech

5G Takes Off In January

Published

on

NIN Enrolments Hit Over 70 Million - Pantami

The Five Generation (5G) network will be deployed in Nigeria in January 2022, and the country would enjoy its benefit of aiding surveillance against vandalism of public assets.

Communication and Digital Economy Minister Isa Pantami disclosed this on Thursday in Maiduguri at a Town Hall Meeting to address vandalism of power and telecommunications infrastructure.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the event, organised by the Ministry of Information and Culture, was attended by Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno and his Deputy, Mr Usman Kadafur and other stakeholders.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed led the other ministers who were panelists at the town hall meeting.

READ ALSO: European Commission Plans Common Charging Port

Pantami, who was represented by Mr Ubale Maska, Commissioner for Technical Services, Nigeria Communication Commission, said the 5G network was recently approved by the Federal Executive Council for increased connectivity.

He said while the technology would boost surveillance against criminal elements vandalising public infrastructure across the country, other measures should be put in place to arrest them and bring them to book.

The minister disclosed that there were over 50,000 telecommunication sites across the country, which made it difficult to man manually except through deployment of modern technology.

He also disclosed that there were about 16,000 reported outages by mobile network operators – MTN, Globacom, Airtel and 9Mobile – from January 2021 to July 2021.

The outages, according to him were due to fiber cuts, access denial and theft leading to service disruption in the affected areas

He noted that the protection of the critical infrastructural facility was key to the nation’s security, economic vitality, public health and safety.

He decried the situation where telecoms installations that were destroyed in the attacks by terrorists, had not been replaced as a result of the lingering insecurity and tensions in parts of the North East.

READ ALSO: Govt Waiting For NCC To Implement 5G National Policy – Pantami

As a way forward, the minister recommended continuous stakeholders buying-in and synergy among security forces.

He also urged the National Assembly to expedite the passage of the Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill for onward submission to the president for assent.

(NAN)

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Tech

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

Elon Musk’s Neuralink brain computing startup has yet to receive approval from the Federal Drug Administration to implant its technology in humans. However, Neuralink’s competitor, Synchron, has implanted its first device into the brain of a U.S. patient — in this case one with ALS, a neurodegenerative disease that’s affected the patient’s ability to move and speak, as reported by Bloomberg.

The hope is that the patient will be able to browse the web and communicate through email and text just by thinking. The device would translate the patient’s thoughts into action through commands sent to a computer.

Synchron had already implanted its devices in four patients in Australia. These patients are reported by Bloomberg to have no side effects, and the device has allowed them to send messages through WhatsApp and make online purchases.

Synchron had received FDA approval in July 2021 to begin a human trial of its stentrode device to insert into the brain’s of six patients.

The stentrode can be inserted into the brain without cutting through the patient’s skull or damaging their tissue. A doctor makes an incision in the patient’s neck, from there the stentrode with the help of a catheter is placed into a blood vessel within the motor cortex, an area involved in the planning, control, and execution of voluntary movements.

Once the device is implanted, a second procedure connects it to a computing device implanted in the patient’s chest. The stentrode reads the signal produced by neurons firing in the brain and then it sends the signal to the computing device, which sends it to a computer or phone through Bluetooth.

Meanwhile, Neuralink is working to develop a surgical robot to implant its small, disc-shaped device into a patient’s brain. The device would then process and filter signals on the embedded computer chips.

And although its human trial in the U.S. is a first for Synchron’s device, it’s not a first in the field. The Utah array, a microelectrode array technology that is a small, silicone square with 100 needles that are pushed into the brain when implanted, has been the standard for relaying electrical signals from a brain to a computer since its development in 1992 by researchers at the University of Utah. Until last year, it was the only FDA approved BCI, or brain-computer interface, and it has shown significant results, like allowing paraplegics to control robot arms.

But the array is based in 1990s technology and can only cover a fraction of the brain’s 86 billion neurons.

Musk founded Neuralink in 2016 with the goal of developing a device that, after being implanted in a human brain, would allow a computer to translate a person’s thoughts into action. He wants not only to treat brain diseases and disorders but cure them.

READ ALSO: Investors Dump Twitter As Elon Musk Drops Buy Bid

Despite Musk’s ambition, Neuralink has yet to be tested on humans.

“Neuralink is working super hard to ensure implant safety & is in close communication with the FDA,” Musk tweeted in Feb. 2021. “If things go well, we might be able to do initial human trials later this year.”

Neuralink still has not conducted human trials.

Fortune has previously reported about Neuralink, including management upheavals and employee conflict. Its former president and biomedical engineer, Max Hodak, left abruptly and is now an investor of Synchron, according to Bloomberg.

.FORTUNE

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Tech

Investors Dump Twitter As Elon Musk Drops Buy Bid

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

The failure of billionaire Telsa CEO Elon Musk to tidy up his attempt to buy Twitter has made the price of the social media company to fall.

Elon decried a breach of agreement as the reason for pulling out.
As at the time of this report, it was learnt that Twitter’s share was down -5.10%, selling at $36.81 on the exchange floor, in contrast to the $38.79 it closed Friday’s session with.

The sell-off came on the heels of Musk cancelling the $44 billion acquisition deal after a long disagreement over the percentage of bot accounts in the monetised daily active users (mDAU).

Monday’s dip reflects how investors negatively reacted to report of the deal falling through. They engaged in a sell-off out of fear that the share would fall as a ripple effect from the termination.

READ ALSO: Elon Musk Places Twitter Deal On Hold

The bears knocked the market capitalisation of Twitter down, with the company now valued at $28.13 billion, -36% below Musk‘s offering price. It was valued around $30 billion prior to Musk’s 100% offer in third week of April.

Mike Ringler, Musk’s lawyer, said: “Twitter has not complied with its contractual obligations.”

“Twitter has failed or refused to provide this information,” hence his reason to terminate the deal, he added.

However, Twitter’s board has vowed to take Musk to court, to compel him to live up to the acquisition agreements, one of which is the break fee, which stipulates that any party who walks away from the deal would pay a sum of $1 billion.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Tech

Elon Musk Places Twitter Deal On Hold

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

By John Michael OjoW

World richest man, Elon Musk has announced a temporary suspension of his deal with Twitter.

The billionaire, who had earlier disclosed his intention to acquire the micro-blogging platform at an agreed price of $44 billion, on Friday cited issues of spam and fake accounts as the reason for the temporary suspension.

READ ALSO: Elon Musk Considers Buying Coca Cola To Remake With Cocaine

“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Musk tweeted.

The Tesla CEO, had maintained that one of his objectives would be to remove “spam bots” from Twitter.

Musk, 50, is also expected to serve as a temporary CEO of Twitter for a few months when the deal finally materialises.

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: