Connect with us

Latest News

19-year-old Boy Who Accused JAMB Of Altering His Result Handed Over To Police

Published

on

JAMB Remits N3.51b To National Treasury

A 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, Chinedu Ifesinachi John, who accused the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) of altering his original score of 380 was handed over to the police for investigation on Friday.

John had claimed he scored 380 in the examination conducted in June and was surprised to receive 265 from the board after the results were released.

After several enquiries, 265 kept appearing as his score as against the 380 score.

Following the alleged “alteration” of the UTME score, his father, John Ifenkpam approached an Enugu – based lawyer, Ikeazor Akaiwe, who wrote to JAMB for another opportunity for the boy to retake the examination and demanded N1 billion as damages.

The lawyer said in an official letter addressed to the board that the N1 billion was to cover for the physical and emotional trauma the boy had been through from being offered “two separate scores from 2019 – 2021.”

Master John claimed that his UTME scores from 2019 till 2021 had been “altered” by the board, thereby denying him the opportunity to study his desired course – medicine.

On Friday, the candidate, his father and lawyers travelled down to Abuja from Enugu State following an invitation from the management of the board led by the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede.

Initially, the boy was given few minutes to “come clean” in a closed session with his father and lawyers about the results he was parading but insisted that his original score from the examination was 380.

After going back and forth, the board tendered evidence to counter the claim by John and his legal representatives.

At the Friday meeting, documentary evidence tendered by the board showed that John actually scored 265 not the 380 he had claimed.

Oloyede accused the candidate of result tempering, adding that he would be handed over to the police for investigation and subsequently prosecuted.

The registrar said John was among 11 eleven other candidates who allegedly forged their results that the board would prosecute.

He said the original result issued to John would be withdrawn pending the end of the investigation.

The registrar said: “We will give you five minutes for your child to tell you the truth. If he doesn’t tell you the truth and come back we will show you what your son has done and hand him over to the police.

“Who is helping you to do it? How much did he pay; if you don’t tell your father the truth we will hand you over to the police and you must be prosecuted.

“We have 11 of them who tampered with their results. Two of them are already being prosecuted.

“The remaining ones we are going to withdraw their results and prosecute them. The main purpose is to sanitise the system, including our own staff.

“There was never any communication of 380 with this boy. Because this boy has accused JAMB, we are going to withhold his result until the investigation is concluded. We are going to request that our interactions with him be subjected to the public.

“As far as I am concerned I am reporting you to the IG now except you tell me who helped you to commit this crime.”

The registrar said the boy needed redemption from the crimes he had allegedly “committed.”

He also said a team of security agents would visit Enugu State to arrest members of a tutorial group the boy confessed to belong to.

According to Oloyede, tutorial owners are at the heart of examination malpractice in the country, saying the board would not relent in fighting them.

His lawyer, Ikeazor, appealed to the board to give room for further investigation.

READ ALSO: Buhari Reappoints Heads Of JAMB, UBEC, NUC

He said: “I will not stand against investigation. Let there be investigation but what I will not agree to is to prejudge him.”

John had said: “The result I have been receiving is not the result I am entitled to. I wrote the first JAMB in 2019.

“The first time they sent 328 later I saw 278 score when I checked it. I printed it. I couldn’t meet up for admission that year. I wanted to study medicine and surgery at the University of Ibadan.

“In 2020 the same thing happened. I scored 343 by the time I went to the portal to print I saw 306. I used the 306 and it gave me admission in UI. But because I didn’t have further mathematics I had to forfeit it.

“I decided to leave medicine and surgery for them in 2021 so I picked petroleum engineering. In 2021, JAMB issued me two results. I saw 380 the first time I checked then the second I saw 265.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Gumi Protests As Court Declares Bandits As Terrorists

Published

on

Gumi Protests As Court Refers To Bandits As Terrorists

Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, has condemned a court’s declaration of bandits as terrorists as a political decision.

“I think the Federal Government has succumbed to media blackmail by a section of the country.

“It will not have any practical value because even before the declaration they are being fought and treated as terrorists,” he said.

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court had declared proscribed bandit groups as terrorists.

READ ALSO: Court Declares Bandits As Terrorists

Specifically, the court, in a ruling that was delivered by Justice Taiwo Taiwo, held that activities of Yan Bindiga and Yan Ta’adda bandit groups, constitute acts of terrorism.

In a statement issued by Malam Tukur Mamu ,the Dan-Iyan Fika and Media Consultant to Sheikh Gumi, the Muslim scholar said: “So it’s just a nomenclature which I believe will not change the dynamics on ground.

“If you can remember, IPOB was also declared a terrorist organisation. The declaration was even backed by the order of the court, but as you can see even the international community did not recognise FG’s declaration on IPOB.

“So it has failed to be effective or to achieve the desired results.

“They have not been banned from travelling to other countries, while their citizenship remains intact; it has not been denounced. So what type of declaration is that?

“I sincerely hope that Nigerians will not take the herdsmen as terrorists, but should regard the criminality of the few among them against innocent people as acts of terrorism just as we see IPOB and their attacks on security agencies and other northern citizens as acts of terrorism.

“Very few herdsmen are bandits if you go through their population.

“I hope this declaration will not give the licence to people to be profiling herdsmen in general as terrorists and taking laws into their hands against them.

“It will cause more mayhem. The declaration will not change anything, it will not change the dynamics. Already the military is engaging them.

“It didn’t stop them from kidnappings and killings. The declaration will not end their aggression against the society.
‘It is a socio-political problem’

“The Fulani banditry is a socio-economic problem. We have seen it, we interacted widely with them.

READ ALSO: Nigeria Will Be In Ruins If Bandits Are Declared As Terrorists – Gumi

“We told the federal government the way out. It can only be won through engagement, dialogue and justice.

“That is why today there is relative peace in the Niger Delta because government has accepted the painful reality of rehabilitating and empowering them.

“There has to be equitable distribution of wealth in Nigeria and justice for every one.

“People don’t want to accept it. Before the issue of banditry that now affects all of us, the Fulani have suffered so much.

“They have lost their legitimate means of livelihood; I mean their cows through cattle rustling and extortion by security agencies.

“That has to be addressed as a means of genuine reconciliation and integration. They should have sense of belonging.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Court Declares Bandits As Terrorists

Published

on

Court Declares Bandits As Terrorists

Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has declared the activities of bandits in Nigeria as acts of terrorism.

In a landmark judgment on Thursday, the court said “Yan Bindiga group”, “Yan Ta’adda group” and others alike are active terrorists.

M. B. Abubakar, Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Federal Ministry of Justice, filed an ex-parte motion.

A supporting affidavit, filed by Aminu Kayode Alilu of the ministry, explained why the application was made.

The government told the court that bandits were responsible for several acts of criminality in different parts of the country.

The oath pointed out that Yan Bindiga, Yan Ta’adda and others were responsible for “wanton destruction of lives and property in Nigeria, particularly in the Northwest and North-central states”.

READ ALSO: El-Rufai Asks Buhari To Declare Bandits As Terrorists

It mentioned, “kidnappings for ransom, kidnapping for marriage, mass abductions of school children and other citizens, cattle rustling, enslavement, imprisonment, severe deprivation of physical liberty, torture, rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, other forms of sexual violence, attacks and killings”.

The government said the outlaws were carrying out “acts of terrorism that can lead to a breakdown of public order and safety and is a threat to national security and the corporate existence of Nigeria”.

In his pronouncement, Justice Taiwo proscribed Yan Bindiga, Yan Ta’adda and all bandit clusters “either in groups or as individuals by whatever names they are called”.

The judge directed the Federal Government to publish the proscription order in the official gazette and two national dailies.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Telecoms Services Restored In Kaduna

Published

on

Telecoms Services Restored In Kaduna

Following the return of peace to the troubled parts of Kaduna, the state government has ordered the immediate restoration of telecommunication service in areas where the facility was earlier suspended for security reasons.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, said this while addressing newsmen in Kaduna.

He said, the state government had contacted relevant federal agencies to effect the immediate restoration of the services.

He recalled that in October 2021 security agencies had requested the shutdown as part of the measures to address the problem of banditry and related crimes.

READ ALSO: El-Rufai Asks Buhari To Declare Bandits As Terrorists

“The security agencies have notified he government that telecoms services can now be restored.

“The initial shutdown, along with other measures, had helped the security agencies to achieve some results“, Aruwan said

He said it was unfortunate that the measure, had its negative impact on the legitimate activities of citizens and businesses.

He assured residents that the restoration of full services in the affected area would be full achieved in few days.
While commending the sacrifices made by residents during the temporary shutdown he expressed regrets for inconveniences caused the affected areas.

The commissioner, however, said other measures, on security measures aimed at combating crimes in the affected areas remained in force.

“These include; prohibition of movement of motorcycle, the ban on weekly market, transportation of cattle and sales of cattle across the state,” he said.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: