Connect with us

Latest News

‘Why Repentant Terrorists Don’t Submit Weapons’

Published

on

Borno Begins Campaign To Reintegrate Repentant Boko Haram Terrorists

As some terrorists continue to abandon their colleagues and hand over themselves to authorities, insight into why they do not hand over their weapons has emerged .

This came as Abatcha Ngala, a vulcanizer and fighter with the Islamic State for West African Province (ISWAP) has surrendered to the Nigerian Troops along Dikwa, Ngala general area of Operations, in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria.
The former fighter came along with his wife.

Residents of Maiduguri the Borno State capital, have observed that Boko Haram fighters who have been surrendering to troops in droves were coming out of the forest without their weapons, a situation which posed a lot of questions about their sincerity.

The former fighter, who submitted himself to troops said he was a vulcanizer for the terrorists, a business he had been doing before deciding to join the terror group, which has been fighting government troops in the last 12 years.

According to Abatcha, “This is my legal wife, whom I married long before I joined the terror group. We had two children and we took them along when I joined ISWAP but those children are late now.”

READ ALSO: Repentant Boko Haram Terrorists Should Be Tried, Not Reintegrated – ACF

On how they have been surviving Abatcha Ngala said they always received their food through Monguno town and villages around Cameroon.

According to him, they exchange food with fish.

“We used to catch fish and sell, we do not have issues getting food because we have people bringing food both within the country and across the border from Cameroon republic,” he added.

Abatcha said most of the fighters do not have their own rifles as it was only given to them whenever they were going out for Operations.

“I have never had a gun. Our leaders bring them when we are going out and they always collect them back after the operations,” he said.

On how he got out from the group and submitted himself, Abatcha said he got tired with the whole idea of the group and tried to escape at one point but he was arrested and put in prison where he spent four months before he was released.

“After my release from prison, we planned again with my friends (three of them) and decided to move out but they backed down in the end for fear.

“They asked me to go ahead that when I succeed, they too will find a way to come out. So, I took my wife and we escaped. This is why we are submitting ourselves to troops,” he said.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Okorocha Declares Bid For Presidency In 2023

Published

on

Okorocha Declares Ambiton For President In 2023

The former governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha, has declared his intention to contest in the 2023 presidential election.

This was disclosed in a letter read at the plenary on Wednesday by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan.

READ ALSO: Uzodinma Names Okorocha, Son-in-law As Sponsors Of Banditry, Kidnapping In Imo

Okorocha in the letter, stated that he will address a world press conference on Monday, January 31, 2022 to speak more on his ambition.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

PDP Primaries: Over 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

Published

on

PDP Primaries: More Than 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

More than 150 political thugs with different harmful objects including guns, cutlasses and charms planning to disrupt the PDP governorship primary election holding today have been arrested.

The political thugs who were said to have come from Oyo State were halted by the men of the 32 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Akure, Ondo State at Ita Awure/Efon Junction in Efon Alaaye in Ekiti State.

They were said to have been arrested at about 3:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

The thugs were in many vehicles before they were intercepted.

READ ALSO: Adebayo Sues For Peace In Ekiti APC Primary

It was gathered that the thugs were believed to be members of Oyo state Park Management System (PMS).

Sources said that the thugs were caught with various weapons.

Items recovered from the suspects included guns, machetes and charms.

It was also gathered that the soldiers would take the suspects to Owens Barracks in Akure for further investigation.

The Public Relations Officer of the Brigade, Akin Omojokun, when contacted, confirmed the arrest and said the brigade would soon issue a statement on the development.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Published

on

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Following the new position of the Federal Government on fuel subsidy removal, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its nationwide protests slated for Thursday 27 and February 2.

The congress took the decision at its National Executive Council meeting held virtually on Tuesday.

The NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, who broke the news at a press conference hinged the decision to suspend the protests on the reversal of the Federal Government’s plan to stop the subsidy on petrol.

He said members of the NLC who had been mobilised would be demobilised following the decision to suspend the protests.

READ ALSO: No Removal Of Fuel Subsidy Soon – Govt

The congress said on Monday that it would continue with the preparations for the protests.

Wabba stated that the National Executive Council of the NLC had given directives for the mobilisation of workers and citizens for the national protests if the Federal Government refused to reverse the planned hike in the pump price of petrol.

But justifying its decision, the NLC president said the congress dropped the planned protests “following the reversal and reapproach by government.”

He said, “At the peak of very rigorous mobilization of Nigerians by the Nigeria Labour Congress and a host of her civil society allies, the government through the Minister of Finance yesterday, January 24, 2022, made a public announcement reversing the plans to increase petrol pump price.

“The position of the government was also officially communicated to the Congress with calls for further engagement. Following the reversal and reapproach by the government, the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress met this morning virtually to consider the new position of the government.

“The NEC after vigorous debates took a decision to suspend the planned nationwide protest scheduled for January 27, 2022, and the national protest scheduled for February 2, 2022.”

The labour leader said the congress has communicated the decision to its civil society allies who have stood stoically behind Nigerian workers in their quest for social and economic justice.

The union argued that the attendant effect of the proposed removal of petrol subsidy would push the pump price of petrol to between N320 and N340 per litre.

READ ALSO: Buhari Approves Suspension Of Fuel Subsidy Removal

This, it noted, would have exacerbated the inflation in the country, deepened poverty, heightened social tensions and pushed the country and millions of poor citizens to the very precipice.

Going forward, the NLC said it would continue to engage with the government on the very critical issues of ensuring local refining of petroleum, creation of sustainable jobs and affordable price of petrol for Nigerian workers and people.

It commended the workers, people and the civil society allies for “their unwavering solidarity and support during this struggle.”

 

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: