Connect with us

Latest News

HURIWA Condemns Alleged Frameup Of Imo Girl Held Hostage By Police For 72 Days

Published

on

IGP Urges Nigerians To Support Community Policing

The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has accused the office of the inspector general of police of attempting to frame up 21-year-old Gloria Okolie, a girl whose family had been looking for her since June  but who was later found to be held hostage by officers of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) in Imo State.

HURIWA said the just issued press statement from the Force Headquarters on the same missing but found girl declaring her as a terror suspect arrested almost 78 hours after her case became public information courtesy of a civil rights campaigner Mr. Harrison Gwamnishu who found her being allegedly converted to a maid for 72 days by the police was reprehensible.

In a statement by the National Coordinator Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko and the National Media Affairs Miss Zainab Yusuf, HURIWA asked the inspector general of police “not to carry through with this shameful plot of vendetta and frame-up against an apparently distressed girl whose family has not seen for months after she was made to disappear by the police in Imo State.”

HURIWA recalled that Miss. Okolie was said to have been arrested on June 17 by IRT officers in order to use her as a bait to arrest her boyfriend who is suspected to be a member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). The family of the young lady had been searching for her since.

HURIWA recalled that Mr. Harrison Gwamnishu, an activist and director-general of Behind Bars Human Rights Foundation, in a Facebook post, said it was later discovered that Okolie was in the custody of IRT in Imo allegedly cooking and washing for the officers.Gwamnishu accused the police of extorting the family when they went to ask for her bail. He said Okolie was later transferred to Abuja.

“The 21-year-old Miss Glory Okolie who enrolled for 2021 JAMB exam has been in police detention since 17th June, 2021 till date. She left the house and never returned,” Gwamnishu wrote on Facebook. “Since 17th June, her families had searched for her in hospitals and mortuaries but couldn’t find her.

READ ALSO: 15 More Baptist Students Regain Freedom From Kidnappers

“Ending of June, 2021, a young man who was freed from IRT office Tiger Base Owerri told the Okolie family that he saw Glory in the custody of IRT officers cooking and washing clothes for them.

“The family immediately went to IRT office and requested to see Glory and bail her out and till date it’s been one story or the other. The IRT officers allegedly continued to extort the family and denied them access to see Glory,” Gwamnishu

HURIWA said that “this clear case of criminal acts of human rights violations and abuses inflicted on a citizen of Nigeria on account of a mere suspicion that her purported boyfriend is a member of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) amounted to holding a citizen as a hostage in exchange for someone being sought by the police which is absolutely unlawful, unconstitutional and outrageous.

It further stated that it found the just issued press Statement with  Ref No. CZ.5300/FPRD/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.4/35, dated 22nd August, 2021 in which the police mischievously stated that it had arrested ‘MILITANTS’ SPY GIRL’, utterly irresponsible,  insensitive,  irrational and “projects the Nigerian Police Force as a bunch of hostage takers who do not care a hoot about morality or professional ethics of policing because this girl’s matter was already public information regarding how she was illegally detained and allegedly made to work for the police in Imo State as a maid, an act that should constitute a criminal charge of forced enslavement and human trafficking but here we are being told by the police that the victim of their human rights abuses is now a suspected spy for the so- called militant.

READ ALSO: Dr. Obadiah Mailafia On The Parameters Of A Failing State

” It is disingenuous and imbecilic for the police through the force headquarters to spew the following propaganda about the girl whose case was already in the public domain as someone being victimsed by the police but instead many days after this the same police have issued a statement in which amongst others the police accused this girl in a press ptatement from force headquarters of complicity in the series of deliberate and well-coordinated attacks on security formations, other critical national infrastructure including INEC offices and killing of security operatives in the South-Eastern part of the country.”

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Okorocha Declares Bid For Presidency In 2023

Published

on

Okorocha Declares Ambiton For President In 2023

The former governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha, has declared his intention to contest in the 2023 presidential election.

This was disclosed in a letter read at the plenary on Wednesday by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan.

READ ALSO: Uzodinma Names Okorocha, Son-in-law As Sponsors Of Banditry, Kidnapping In Imo

Okorocha in the letter, stated that he will address a world press conference on Monday, January 31, 2022 to speak more on his ambition.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

PDP Primaries: Over 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

Published

on

PDP Primaries: More Than 150 Thugs From Oyo Arrested In Ekiti

More than 150 political thugs with different harmful objects including guns, cutlasses and charms planning to disrupt the PDP governorship primary election holding today have been arrested.

The political thugs who were said to have come from Oyo State were halted by the men of the 32 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Akure, Ondo State at Ita Awure/Efon Junction in Efon Alaaye in Ekiti State.

They were said to have been arrested at about 3:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

The thugs were in many vehicles before they were intercepted.

READ ALSO: Adebayo Sues For Peace In Ekiti APC Primary

It was gathered that the thugs were believed to be members of Oyo state Park Management System (PMS).

Sources said that the thugs were caught with various weapons.

Items recovered from the suspects included guns, machetes and charms.

It was also gathered that the soldiers would take the suspects to Owens Barracks in Akure for further investigation.

The Public Relations Officer of the Brigade, Akin Omojokun, when contacted, confirmed the arrest and said the brigade would soon issue a statement on the development.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Published

on

NLC Suspends Plan To Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal

Following the new position of the Federal Government on fuel subsidy removal, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its nationwide protests slated for Thursday 27 and February 2.

The congress took the decision at its National Executive Council meeting held virtually on Tuesday.

The NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, who broke the news at a press conference hinged the decision to suspend the protests on the reversal of the Federal Government’s plan to stop the subsidy on petrol.

He said members of the NLC who had been mobilised would be demobilised following the decision to suspend the protests.

READ ALSO: No Removal Of Fuel Subsidy Soon – Govt

The congress said on Monday that it would continue with the preparations for the protests.

Wabba stated that the National Executive Council of the NLC had given directives for the mobilisation of workers and citizens for the national protests if the Federal Government refused to reverse the planned hike in the pump price of petrol.

But justifying its decision, the NLC president said the congress dropped the planned protests “following the reversal and reapproach by government.”

He said, “At the peak of very rigorous mobilization of Nigerians by the Nigeria Labour Congress and a host of her civil society allies, the government through the Minister of Finance yesterday, January 24, 2022, made a public announcement reversing the plans to increase petrol pump price.

“The position of the government was also officially communicated to the Congress with calls for further engagement. Following the reversal and reapproach by the government, the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress met this morning virtually to consider the new position of the government.

“The NEC after vigorous debates took a decision to suspend the planned nationwide protest scheduled for January 27, 2022, and the national protest scheduled for February 2, 2022.”

The labour leader said the congress has communicated the decision to its civil society allies who have stood stoically behind Nigerian workers in their quest for social and economic justice.

The union argued that the attendant effect of the proposed removal of petrol subsidy would push the pump price of petrol to between N320 and N340 per litre.

READ ALSO: Buhari Approves Suspension Of Fuel Subsidy Removal

This, it noted, would have exacerbated the inflation in the country, deepened poverty, heightened social tensions and pushed the country and millions of poor citizens to the very precipice.

Going forward, the NLC said it would continue to engage with the government on the very critical issues of ensuring local refining of petroleum, creation of sustainable jobs and affordable price of petrol for Nigerian workers and people.

It commended the workers, people and the civil society allies for “their unwavering solidarity and support during this struggle.”

 

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: