Connect with us

Latest News

Swiss Media Regulator Condemns Newspaper’s Reference To Okonjo-Iweala As Grandmother

Published

on

How Govt Can Attract Investments To Nigeria's Economy - Okonjo-Iweala

A Swiss newspaper has been found guilty of gender discrimination against the World Trade Organisation ( WTO) Director-general Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

A Swiss media regulator faulted the Swiss newspaper on Tuesday for sexism over a headline earlier this year describing Okonjo-Iweala merely as a “grandmother.”

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in March became the first woman and first African to lead the WTO, following a long, high-powered career serving both as finance and foreign affairs minister in her native Nigeria and 25 years at the World Bank.

But when the Aargauer Zeitung regional daily announced the 67-year-old Harvard-educated development economist’s appointment in February, it opted to focus its headline on her role as a matriarch.

“This grandmother will become the boss of the WTO,” read the headline of the article published by the Aargauer Zeitung and picked up by several other papers on February 9.

Amid a barrage of outrage, the paper apologised, acknowledging that the headline had been “inappropriate and unsuitable”.

READ ALSO: What Should Be Done For Economic Recovery, Growth In Africa – Okonjo-Iweala

The Swiss Press Council, a self-regulatory media ethics organisation, examined charges that the paper’s choice of words had been motivated by gender discrimination and/or racial discrimination.

In its ruling issued Tuesday, it said it had not been able to determine whether discrimination on the basis of skin colour had played a role.

READ ALSO:

“However,” it said, “it is obvious that if this had been about a male former finance and foreign minister in a country of 200 million people, the headline ‘a grandfather becomes the WTO director-general’ would be inconceivable.”

“Therefore, the council deems the headline discriminatory on the basis of gender.”
(AFP)

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

Published

on

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 20220 - Mohammed

A year after the EndSARS protest, Information Minister Lai Mohammed has insisted that there was no massacre of Nigerians at Lekki where the event held last year.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two At Lekki Tollgate As EndSARS Procession Holds

During a news conference in Abuja, Mohammed said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: