Connect with us

Tech

Govt To Lift Twitter Ban Soon – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

Twitter Shares Jump 3% On Reports It could Accept Elon Musk's Bid

After resolving some disagreements , the Federal Government is considering lifting the ban it has imposed on the social networking site, Twitter, for about two months now.

On June 5, 2021, the FG officially banned Twitter’s indefinitely, thereby restricting it from operating in Nigeria after the social media platform deleted tweets made by the President Muhammadu Buhari warning the Indigenous People of Biafra that they “will be treated in the language they understand”.

The FG interpreted the deletion of Buhari’s tweets as discourteous, worsening “a litany of problems with the social media platform in Nigeria, where misinformation and fake news spread through it have had real world violent consequences”.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lal Mohammed, while fielding questions from the press at the State House after Wednesday’s FEC meeting updated Nigerians on the issue saying that progress had been made in resolving the stalemate following a series of meetings.

Mohammed explained details of the conditions given to Twitter, saying that most of them had been accepted.

READ ALSO: Instagram Moves To Check Abusive, Racist Content

He said the areas still pending such as Twitter setting up an office, and having Twitter staff of management cadre that would serve as the country representatives, were still being discussed.

The minister also disclosed that on the issue of a Nigeria-based office, even though Twitter had agreed to the condition, it was maintaining that the earliest it could establish that would be 2022.

He expressed confidence that everything would be ironed out with Twitter within “a matter of days or weeks”, noting the anxiety that had been shown by Nigerians.

He said the FG’s committee negotiating with Twitter would meet on the agreement soon to make recommendations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Tech

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

Elon Musk’s Neuralink brain computing startup has yet to receive approval from the Federal Drug Administration to implant its technology in humans. However, Neuralink’s competitor, Synchron, has implanted its first device into the brain of a U.S. patient — in this case one with ALS, a neurodegenerative disease that’s affected the patient’s ability to move and speak, as reported by Bloomberg.

The hope is that the patient will be able to browse the web and communicate through email and text just by thinking. The device would translate the patient’s thoughts into action through commands sent to a computer.

Synchron had already implanted its devices in four patients in Australia. These patients are reported by Bloomberg to have no side effects, and the device has allowed them to send messages through WhatsApp and make online purchases.

Synchron had received FDA approval in July 2021 to begin a human trial of its stentrode device to insert into the brain’s of six patients.

The stentrode can be inserted into the brain without cutting through the patient’s skull or damaging their tissue. A doctor makes an incision in the patient’s neck, from there the stentrode with the help of a catheter is placed into a blood vessel within the motor cortex, an area involved in the planning, control, and execution of voluntary movements.

Once the device is implanted, a second procedure connects it to a computing device implanted in the patient’s chest. The stentrode reads the signal produced by neurons firing in the brain and then it sends the signal to the computing device, which sends it to a computer or phone through Bluetooth.

Meanwhile, Neuralink is working to develop a surgical robot to implant its small, disc-shaped device into a patient’s brain. The device would then process and filter signals on the embedded computer chips.

And although its human trial in the U.S. is a first for Synchron’s device, it’s not a first in the field. The Utah array, a microelectrode array technology that is a small, silicone square with 100 needles that are pushed into the brain when implanted, has been the standard for relaying electrical signals from a brain to a computer since its development in 1992 by researchers at the University of Utah. Until last year, it was the only FDA approved BCI, or brain-computer interface, and it has shown significant results, like allowing paraplegics to control robot arms.

But the array is based in 1990s technology and can only cover a fraction of the brain’s 86 billion neurons.

Musk founded Neuralink in 2016 with the goal of developing a device that, after being implanted in a human brain, would allow a computer to translate a person’s thoughts into action. He wants not only to treat brain diseases and disorders but cure them.

READ ALSO: Investors Dump Twitter As Elon Musk Drops Buy Bid

Despite Musk’s ambition, Neuralink has yet to be tested on humans.

“Neuralink is working super hard to ensure implant safety & is in close communication with the FDA,” Musk tweeted in Feb. 2021. “If things go well, we might be able to do initial human trials later this year.”

Neuralink still has not conducted human trials.

Fortune has previously reported about Neuralink, including management upheavals and employee conflict. Its former president and biomedical engineer, Max Hodak, left abruptly and is now an investor of Synchron, according to Bloomberg.

.FORTUNE

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Tech

Investors Dump Twitter As Elon Musk Drops Buy Bid

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

The failure of billionaire Telsa CEO Elon Musk to tidy up his attempt to buy Twitter has made the price of the social media company to fall.

Elon decried a breach of agreement as the reason for pulling out.
As at the time of this report, it was learnt that Twitter’s share was down -5.10%, selling at $36.81 on the exchange floor, in contrast to the $38.79 it closed Friday’s session with.

The sell-off came on the heels of Musk cancelling the $44 billion acquisition deal after a long disagreement over the percentage of bot accounts in the monetised daily active users (mDAU).

Monday’s dip reflects how investors negatively reacted to report of the deal falling through. They engaged in a sell-off out of fear that the share would fall as a ripple effect from the termination.

READ ALSO: Elon Musk Places Twitter Deal On Hold

The bears knocked the market capitalisation of Twitter down, with the company now valued at $28.13 billion, -36% below Musk‘s offering price. It was valued around $30 billion prior to Musk’s 100% offer in third week of April.

Mike Ringler, Musk’s lawyer, said: “Twitter has not complied with its contractual obligations.”

“Twitter has failed or refused to provide this information,” hence his reason to terminate the deal, he added.

However, Twitter’s board has vowed to take Musk to court, to compel him to live up to the acquisition agreements, one of which is the break fee, which stipulates that any party who walks away from the deal would pay a sum of $1 billion.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Tech

Elon Musk Places Twitter Deal On Hold

Published

on

Elon Musk’s Neuralink Brain Computer Startup Is Beaten Again

By John Michael OjoW

World richest man, Elon Musk has announced a temporary suspension of his deal with Twitter.

The billionaire, who had earlier disclosed his intention to acquire the micro-blogging platform at an agreed price of $44 billion, on Friday cited issues of spam and fake accounts as the reason for the temporary suspension.

READ ALSO: Elon Musk Considers Buying Coca Cola To Remake With Cocaine

“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Musk tweeted.

The Tesla CEO, had maintained that one of his objectives would be to remove “spam bots” from Twitter.

Musk, 50, is also expected to serve as a temporary CEO of Twitter for a few months when the deal finally materialises.

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: