Connect with us

Latest News

Court Remands Suspected Killer Of Super TV CEO

Published

on

Court Remands Suspected Killer Of Super TV CEO

The prime suspect in the murder of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Super TV, Usifo Ataga, was on Monday remanded.

Chief Magistrate Adeola Adedayo, sitting at a Lagos Magistrates’ Court made an order for the remand of Chidinma Ojukwu for 30 days following an application by the police.

She also remanded Ojukwu’s co-defendant Adedapo Quadri on the same terms.

Police counsel Cyril Ejiofor had prayed the court to remand both first defendant Ojukwu and second defendant Quadri pending the issuance of a Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) report on the matter.

The Director, Office of the Public Defender (OPD) Dr Babajide Martins, who observed that the prosecution failed to furnish him with the remand application, did not oppose Ejiofor’s prayer “on principle.”

Granting the prosecution’s prayer, Mrs Adedayo said: “In the absence of any opposition, the two defendants are hereby remanded for 30 days in the first instance.

“The case is hereby adjourned till September 5, for review of remand/DPP’s advice.”

Present at the hearing were the defendant’s relatives, including her sister.

Chidinma was arrested by the police on June 23, 2021. She had been in a romantic relationship with 50-year-old Ataga for about four months before the incident.

Following her parade by the police on June 24, the undergraduate said she and Ataga were “having fun” when an argument broke out and she stabbed him twice.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest More Suspects With Links To Super TV CEO’s Murder

On June 29, she pleaded for forgiveness saying she was not ready to die and attributed her action to the influence of hard drugs and smoking.

But things took a dramatic turn on July 13, 2021 when Chidinma recanted.

In an interview she granted the police media team which was aired by Crime Fighter TV, a police sponsored programme, Ojukwu claimed she walked into the room from an errand only to find Ataga stabbed, blood everywhere and the apartment in shambles.

In the eight minutes and eight seconds video, she claimed her earlier admission of stabbing Ataga to death was made under pressure and fear that people would not believe her.

She said someone probably entered the apartment when she left to get the things they needed, killed Ataga, scattered the place and left before her arrival.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest News

Police Teargas EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Police Teargas EndSARS protesters At Lekki Tollgate

Some EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were teargassed by the police on Wednesday.

The protesters, who gathered for the EndSARS memorial protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos State, were dispersed by men of the police force.

The demonstrators had gathered to call for justice for protesters who were allegedly shot dead on October 20, 2020

The EndSARS protests which were held in October 2020 were against the activities of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigeria Police Force accused of brutality.

READ ALSO: Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

However, on Wednesday the peaceful protest was disrupted by police officers who fired teargas at the youths.
The protesters scampered for safety as they chanted “EndSARS”.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Published

on

Pro-Buhari Protesters Say Nobody Died At Lekki Tollgate

Protesters loyal to President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday converged on the Unity Fountain in Abuja, saying “nobody died at Lekki tollgate” in Lagos.

The protesters who were conveyed to the venue on a bus, held up placards stating,”#EndSarsProtest; Lekki shooting was a hoax”, and ”Nobody died at Lekki tollgate”.

On October 20, 2020, soldiers reportedly opened fire on protesters campaigning against police brutality at Lekki tollgate.

READ ALSO: No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

While some reports, including civil society groups say some protesters were killed in the attack, the federal government has disputed this account.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, on Wednesday described the Lekki incident as a ”phantom massacre”.

Nigerians poured into the streets in Lagos, Abuja and other places on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Latest News

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 2020 – Mohammed

Published

on

No Massacre Of Lekki Protesters In 20220 - Mohammed

A year after the EndSARS protest, Information Minister Lai Mohammed has insisted that there was no massacre of Nigerians at Lekki where the event held last year.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two At Lekki Tollgate As EndSARS Procession Holds

During a news conference in Abuja, Mohammed said that most of the claims of killings were false and misleading as most of those who made the claims of losing people were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations.

 

Read more authentic news on our social media platforms

Continue Reading

Top Stories

%d bloggers like this: